New Iconia Tablet - trying to install Picasa

Hoibie

Sep 20, 2011
OK, sorry Google, I don't get it. This shouldn't be this hard...

I have a new tablet and have established my Google Acct to get it registered. I'm trying to hook the tablet in to my Google Picasa Web account. I normally use Windows on my systems. What I get here when I try to view my Photos is a screen offering to download Picasa for Linux. I realize that Android is built off of Linux. I've downloaded each link on that page which offers Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat Fedora Mandiva and the list goes on. I downloaded them all because I wasn't sure which was correct so I thought I'd apply a "shotgun" approach. But then when I go to the completed download folder and click on any of these, I get "File type deb not found" or "File type rpm not found" so I take it that these are not the proper downloads to install Picasa on this tablet. Or there's something else I need to do to prep the install.

Does anyone know which one(s) I should be launching to install Picasa on the Iconia tablet?

Again, it shouldn't be this difficult... At least it wouldn't be with Windows...

H

Hoibie

Sep 20, 2011
Well, what I was tyring to do was just simply follow the already existing instruction given by Google to install Picasa.
So, I wonder if the instructions from Google are wrong, or, is the Acer Tab 500 not capable of handling it. I don't understand how they can put a product out and then provide no help to the user.

Anyone else get the standard Picasa to install? And which one of the offerings did YOU use?

Thanks.

H

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Look, Andorid is not windows, and Android is not exactly pure linux anymore, and has never handled the DEB packages.
And Google never gave ANY instructions for installing picasa on android.

You can't just pic something that seems close and try to install it.
So you can't install any of those packages and have a full picasa on your tablet.
There is no "standard" version of Picasa for Android.

You can get your tablet to sync with your picasa account by going into
settings
Accounts and Sync
select the google account
Check each thing you want to sync to your tablet. Picasa web albums is one of them.
Then when you look at your Gallery you will see all your web albums, and you can upload and download.

By the way, There are TONS of sources for help on Andoid. Google is your friend.
The Complete Android Guide - Complete Guides

Last edited:

Hoibie

Sep 20, 2011
OK Icebike - Yours is a good answer. A couple of comments if I might...

First - I did a Google search on this - I really did. I came up with zero. Lots of references to installing everything under the sun. But nothing that gave a hint as to what needs to be done. Gallery is the app to use? Fine, I'll use it.

Second - you actually gave me the direction needed. When I said "they", I really meant Acer, not Google. Consider: Windows aside, how's the poor user intuitively supposed to know that DEB files are never handled? When you invoke Picasa from a browser on the tablet to see your album, Google (or is it Acer) immediately dangles a Linux install package (or several of them) in front of you. No explanation of it. It's perfectly natural to assume then that you need to install something. Remember, many of us out here are indeed Windows users too. The installation site doesn't say, "No sir, you can't do that with this". And so you're left hanging. Can you see my point - just a little???

And third, I just went to "Accounts and Sync", everything is in fact turned on, fired up Gallery, no web albums. Only have a solitary picture I took when I first bought the device.

So I'm still without a sufficient set of instructions to get what should be an easy task, done. Would you happen to know any further steps I should be taking?

Thank you for your time to respond and your advice.

H

Last edited:

Hoibie

Sep 20, 2011
OK, I've figured this out. Seems that my pictures actually were not uploaded to Photos on Google. My fault - I should have realized. I had Picasa on my Windows system and it "appeared" as though I was browsing them on the web interface, but, no - I wasn't. So, if your pics are on your Windows system, you have to upload them first, then the Android will "see" them.

I'll just use Gallery and see how it works.

H

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
OK, "appeared" as though I was browsing them on the web interface, but, no - I wasn't. So, if your pics are on your Windows system, you have to upload them first, then the Android will "see" them.

I'll just use Gallery and see how it works.

H
I stand by my first answer picasatool work perfect....