New Member Intro

Jim-engr

Dec 25, 2014
Hello -

I am a newbie to the world of Android. I'll probably have some questions that seem really simple, but I can learn! Here's one: If one has an Android Smart Phone but no longer has an account (contract) for the phone part, can the WiFi part of the phone still be used? Does it depend on who the (original) phone connection supplier is/was?

Thanks,

- Jim

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Jim

The answer is that you may be able to do anything with it over WiFi, but not use it for data or calls. Data on the WiFi is fine.

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Welcome - ATF (2).jpg

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets.

Jim-engr

Dec 25, 2014
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets.

Thank you for the welcome, and thank you for answering my question about setting up the phone so I can use it as a "mini-tablet" that actually fits in my pocket. It was very helpful in going through the phone's setup questions without worrying that I was going to "brick" the product.

I have some trouble in navigating the AndroidTablets.net web site - first, I wasn't sure how or where to post my intro, so I just started a new thread. Was there a way to look for an existing thread where new members could post introductions?

Just now, I wanted to reply with thanks, but couldn't figure out how to get to my first post and your replies. It finally occurred to me to do a search for posts by me.

Is there a "how-to" on the site I could read to figure out all (or at least some of) this stuff? I know that I am late to get into the world of smartphones and tablets, but I am amazed at how much I have to learn!

Thanks again,

- Jim

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Was there a way to look for an existing thread where new members could post introductions?

No, you did it right. Each new member gets their own thread. Partially to demonstrate how easy it is to create a new thread.

Just now, I wanted to reply with thanks, but couldn't figure out how to get to my first post and your replies. It finally occurred to me to do a search for posts by me.

That's one way to find an earlier post. Another would be to click on your own name in any post you've made. that will take you to your profile where you can click on "Postings" and see every post you've ever made. Yet another would be to click "Watch Thread" up in the section containing the title of the thread. When you want to find it again, you'd click "Watched Threads" at the top of most forum pages. This last method allows you to keep track of threads you yourself didn't create. And, of course, you could also bookmark any page in your browser for later reference

Is there a "how-to" on the site I could read to figure out all (or at least some of) this stuff?

To learn what Androids are all about, I'd suggest you click this link and go to the Android Tablet Q&A section. When you magically arrive there, read the "Sticky:" posts at the beginning and then look through some of the threads already posted there to get a feel for what's going on in the tablet world. If you have a question about something already being discussed, "Reply to Thread" and ask your question. If anything occurs to you that's not being discussed, "Post New Thread". In the upper right corner of each forum page, there's a search box. Use it to see if there's already a thread discussing your topic before starting a new thread.

From there, a member would normally look down the main forum page to find the forum for their particular tablet and post their tablet specific questions there. Since this is a tablet forum and you're using a phone, you wouldn't find a forum specifically for it. In that case, the Android Tablet Q&A section would be the place to ask for help. When you ask a question, use a meaningful title and include your device type.

Enjoy the forum!