New Tablet Owner.. Gateway??

dyal

Sep 13, 2011
Hi Folks,

I'm a relatively new owner of a Gateway Tab TP A60W... wondering if there's any other Gateway tab users out there or am I alone? I know the company has certainly given me that impression. Gateway does not list the product on their site, nor in their e-mail support form options. Only under driver downloads is there any mention of the device.

After reading various reviews on the device (after the fact sadly, impulse buy after getting a refund at Futureshop), I found all of them were incorrect and most appeared to be based off of 2 things: the product listing on the futureshop website (which contained incorrect information, specifically the Honeycomb version shipped with the device is 3.0.1 not 3.1), or based it on the Acer Iconia early reviews.

Starting to wonder if I made a mistake with this device and should at least swap for the Acer where I know what I'm getting. Even the google custom search shows "client=ms-android-acer" in the title bar, and the user manual references my new "packard bell" device. While yes I realize the 3 companies are all owned by the same group, one would think that at the least they'd make sure the branding was correct when visible to a user.

Am I alone out there? Any other gateway tab users? Maybe had better luck at support/information than me? Or should I accept my lumps and come to the acknowledgement that I am simply carrying a re-branded Acer Iconia 500?

dyal

Sep 13, 2011
Thanks Spider, just a few minutes ago while trolling the Gateway Q/A's I found a question which was Gateway Tablet specific, which immediately under then referenced the Iconia A500. So i submitted some nice little feedback to that question ;)

Unfortunately a downside to being rebranded is that I do not get access to the Iconia updates such as the 3.1 version of honeycomb. Though it is encouraging to see new Q&A's appearing on the Gateway site relating to the product. I believe it I may have purchased the product the first day it had been released, unaware at that time (long story short, it was an impulse buy after getting a refund for another product that had been covered under extended warranty).

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Odd.. but interesting story. Did it have Gateway logos or anything? And don't worry about OTA updates, just root and pick your favorite ROM/kernel :)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
Nice to hear Gateway did something right for a change. Because their laptops are a disaster, with a higher then normal failure rate. Acer hardware was a good move on their part, bean counters must have been snoozing.:confused:

dyal

Sep 13, 2011
Odd.. but interesting story. Did it have Gateway logos or anything? And don't worry about OTA updates, just root and pick your favorite ROM/kernel :)

Sorry for the delay in my response. Are you referring to the Tablet having gateway logos? If so yes, the back is just one big Gateway Logo. As seen in this news post
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-news/15773-gateway-release-rebranded-acer-iconia-tab-a500-black.html

W
hile the warranty is still in play I'm going to avoid Rooting it, for the time being at least.

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Weird.. so its like an added black backing?

dyal

Sep 13, 2011
Yep, basically a high gloss black backing instead, otherwise the guts are pretty much identical.

Sent from my TPA60W using Android Tablet Forum

Barrieav

Oct 12, 2011
Hi Dyal

I also purchased this Tablet at Futureshop in Ontario. I originally purchased it over the Acer Iconia because of the 3.1 version over the 3.0.1 on the Acer. I was somewhat disappointed too by the fact that there is little to no info on the Gateway site. Even the link the support people sent me didn't help. I asked if Acer would be pushing out a 3.1 update for Gateway users as well and the response was typical.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
From Gateway support:

I understand that you have an enquiry regarding android upgrade.

Please note that Gateway was acquired by Acer Inc. in 2007. Now Gateway is under Acer management, however Gateway product have separate support website.

Please be informed that Android update is released 'On The Air'. Gateway have no control over which unit gets the OTA update. You would have to wait until the update assigned to your unit. We deeply regret for the inconvenience caused.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site http://www.support.gateway.com/
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dhttp://www.support.gateway.com/on't know why they provide a link that is essentially of little use.

Futureshop's response was no better. They said they would be happy to have me return it for a refund or change out for a different tablet. No mention that they knew that information they were advertising was incorrect. It appears they have been advertising this release for some time now. Didn't really expect much any how.

Now I have 7 days left to figure out if I keep it or let it go. Don't get me wrong, I like this tablet. It's solid, fast and responsive so its got a lot going for it. I just wish I knew if I could get 3.1 without having to resort to "rooting" it before I decide.

Thanks for starting this topic off, I was like you and thought I was alone in this game. Glad I'm not.

Cheers

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. I hope you find the forum useful and informative regardless which tablet you decide on, good luck on your decision.

Oct 15, 2011
I also just got this tablet last week and can confirm that it is a re-badged Iconia A500, running Honeycomb 3.0.1. The iconiaroot-1.3 exploit works. I recommend the first thing anyone do is to make backups, which requires root. The official Acer_A500_4.010.11_COM_GEN2.zip update to Android 3.1 (over 370MB in size) worked fine for me, using the stock recovery. I may update to the official 3.2 image soon, but I understand that at this time that this version might not be rootable.

Narcisses

Oct 24, 2011
In the past few weeks lots has happened with the new Gateway (well, sort of.. actually nothing has 'happened' but they've acknowledged the existance of this Ace.. er Gateway tablet. Seeing as how this is an Acer with different plastic, there is not much necessary to release Gingerbread on it. Removing a couple packages (Acer ClearFi) will give it the Vanilla touch this tablet seems to have now with 3.0 (virtually no 'Gateway' branded 'software' apks). However, like you, there was nothing on the site. I started bugging them about this as I absolutely need this device to do Exchange (My 2.2 android phone does!), and the fact that there was nothing on the Gateway support site for Gateway TP-A60W. Since then, 4-5 weeks ago, they've release proper USB/ADB drivers (really just a text file change of the Acer version of the same), and 3.0 kernel sources, and an actual entry on support page. Then, after multiple chats, I finally got this today from a live chat:

Response (Shibin) - 10/24/2011 11:02 AM
Dear....................

x: OK, so can you put my in touch with someone who DOES know?
x: I don't need to speak to that higher authority
x: if they can't answer my question
x: I need to talk to the person who can
x: this is ridiculous
Shibin: X, let me check with another department who will be able to provide you information on this quire.
x: Thank you
Shibin: Thank you for being on hold.
Shibin: I need 3 more minutes, I am still checking on this quires with the concern department.
Shibin: May I please have another 3 more minutes of your time?
x: Thanks
x: Yes, no problem
Shibin: Thank you so much x.
x: No problem
Shibin: Thank you for being on hold.
Shibin: x, I have checked with the concern department and they have informed that it will be released with in the next 1-2 weeks. However we do not yet have an exact date when it will be available.

Shibin: I sincerely apologize for any disappointment this may have caused you.

Shibin: X, to conclude we have informed that the update will be released with in the next 1-2 weeks. If there are no additional questions on this topic, I will close this session.
Shibin: Thank you for using Gateway Live Chat. Feel free to chat again anytime and have a great day.

So there is is in writing, from Gateway tech support, after weeks of chat, either they were kissing my ass to get my out of the room or it's actually coming out. What prompted this inquiry though more so than others, was that the Kernel source for 3.1 AND 3.2 gingerbread is now on the site... so I believe strongly that it is actually on it's way sooner than later. Right now I can write applications for Gingerbread on my tablet, but I cannot use them which is weird. Seems like an ass-backwards way to release it.. release all supporting software but not the actual product itself. Hope this provides some help.

link to support site:

Gateway Support - Downloads & Support Documents - Tablet / Tab TP / A60 (specifically kernel source download)

Hi Folks,

I'm a relatively new owner of a Gateway Tab TP A60W... wondering if there's any other Gateway tab users out there or am I alone? I know the company has certainly given me that impression. Gateway does not list the product on their site, nor in their e-mail support form options. Only under driver downloads is there any mention of the device.

After reading various reviews on the device (after the fact sadly, impulse buy after getting a refund at Futureshop), I found all of them were incorrect and most appeared to be based off of 2 things: the product listing on the futureshop website (which contained incorrect information, specifically the Honeycomb version shipped with the device is 3.0.1 not 3.1), or based it on the Acer Iconia early reviews.

Starting to wonder if I made a mistake with this device and should at least swap for the Acer where I know what I'm getting. Even the google custom search shows "client=ms-android-acer" in the title bar, and the user manual references my new "packard bell" device. While yes I realize the 3 companies are all owned by the same group, one would think that at the least they'd make sure the branding was correct when visible to a user.

Am I alone out there? Any other gateway tab users? Maybe had better luck at support/information than me? Or should I accept my lumps and come to the acknowledgement that I am simply carrying a re-branded Acer Iconia 500?

dannyboy

Nov 2, 2011
there is a android 3.2 update for this tablet as of last night...im now running it on my gateway tab tp and its working perfect....just go to setting menu in your tablet then go to about and use the check for update option...its that easy

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Dannyboy, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tablet. Glad to hear it's working perfect for you and thanks for the information about the update. Nice to have you with us here at Android Tablets.