New to Acer A500 .. Beginners question

Andliz

Oct 31, 2011
Yesterday I bought a new Acer A500.. The salesperson at a major chain store was emphatic about me getting the Trend Micro Tablet Security program ($19.95) to go with it stating that if security was not installed, the warranty would be void?? I didn't but it BUT should I have or are there other security options for my new tab? I have security on my Laptop and Desktop using Windows and understand why .. but Android??

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
if security was not installed, the warranty would be void??

The man is a LIAR, end of story.

There are no viruses for Android, and if you buy only from the market you won't get any viruses or malware
from anywhere else either.

Lookout is neat because it helps you find your lost tablet, but there is not one published
incident where lookout or ANY android antivirus ever detected malware or a virus from the market.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@ Spider, why two??

I've had AVG on my computers for as long as I can remember, so the first thing I did was install it on my tablet. Then, after reading a bunch of recommendations for Lookout, I decided to install it for the other features. I agree, Lookout by itself would probably be all I need/want. However, neither appears to adversely affect my performance and storage isn't a problem so I just kept both installed. It may be a belt and suspenders thing, but I keep thinking whatever gets past one will be caught by the other. As Icebike pointed out though, neither has caught anything yet.:cool:

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Sounds like Best Buy. Anyway, they cannot deny a factory warranty. They may not do an exchange but you can at least return it to Acer for repair or replacement. They tried the same trick with me on a laptop. I will never shop there again because of that.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I've had AVG on my computers for as long as I can remember, so the first thing I did was install it on my tablet. Then, after reading a bunch of recommendations for Lookout, I decided to install it for the other features. I agree, Lookout by itself would probably be all I need/want. However, neither appears to adversely affect my performance and storage isn't a problem so I just kept both installed. It may be a belt and suspenders thing, but I keep thinking whatever gets past one will be caught by the other. As Icebike pointed out though, neither has caught anything yet.:cool:

AVG runs like a dog - nothing but problems on windows. I'm not running anything anti-whatever at all. I haven't caught anything on my tablet. It is as Icebike says.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I know we were a little off topic but Going back to the issue, I have found that there is no need for anti-virus and etc at this stage. Android is a very stable system and the only problem I heard was on one of the Android phone OSs had some virus issue which Google fixed by a OTA. Other than that no problems.