New to Android and tablets

onebree

Jul 13, 2011
Hello. This is my first post on the site. I have not looked through other topics or threads, as I am just beginning my tablet search.

I've been an Apple user since the 2nd generation Nano, 1st gen iPod touch, and 3rd gen iPod touch. I have gotten used to the iOS, and almost wanted to buy an iPhone. However, this past week, my father bought the Asus EEE Pad Transformer. My family and I love the device. Fiddling around with it has cemented my decision to want a tablet as my next device upgrade from my iPod.

Since Tuesday, I've been Googling and searching everything I can about available tablets. I am not sure if there are just not many tablets out, but I keep getting hits from only a few key brands -- Asus, Dell, Samsung... I currently have a laptop, but I would like a device more versatile than an iPod, but not a replacement for my computer. I am entering my senior year of HS this fall, and my freshman year of college next year. I am particular in what I want in a device, and would rather have one great tablet now (or soon), than buying another one for college.

• 7" in size. Depending on how my high school's policy on personal devices is altered this fall, I may just get my father's tablet with the attachable keyboard.
  • Honeycomb. I've heard you can root a device to update to 3.1, but I'd rather not tamper with such system files.
  • Front and back cameras. Especially if I needed to take a quick video of a class or such.
  • No buttons on the front. I already find the home button on my iPod annoying, and would rather there be no pressable buttons outside the frame of the device.
  • Full Android integration. My mother has the Nook and has to pay insane prices for apps that my father gets for free through the actual Android Market.
  • At most $600 in price. (Without accessories) I have enough money, but I am still a student and need leftover to pay for gas or books.
  • WiFi, preferably without 3G/4G access. I don't need a data plan, since I won't be driving and need to Google something on the spot. I also want to save battery life by just using local WiFi.
  • Capacitive multi-touch. Unless you can convince me that a resistive tablet is worth it.
The thickness or weight are not huge factors in my decision -- those can wait for when I head out to best Buy or something. A built-in GPS would also be nice, and would save me an additional hundred or two dollars.

Thank you.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Welcome to the forum onebree!

If you're looking for a 7" tablet running Honeycomb right out the box, I suggest waiting for Amazon to release theirs. Might be coming out as soon as October.

It's suppose to be priced really well and it will be way below your $600 budget. ;)

onebree

Jul 13, 2011
Do you know the name of the Amazon tablet so I can look up some pictures? Also, would it be a device similar to the Kindle? I do not want a strict E-reader, just an all-round device.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Do you know the name of the Amazon tablet so I can look up some pictures? Also, would it be a device similar to the Kindle? I do not want a strict E-reader, just an all-round device.

There's no actual pictures of the tablets yet but there are renders out. like this one:

amazontabs.png

It's not going to be like the Kindle. There's going to be two tablets, one with same specs as current Honeycomb Tablets like the xoom, transformer, acer iconia a500 and galaxy tab 10.1 running a dual core Tegra 2 chip and the other a Quad core Kal-El Tegra 3 chip.

10.1" and 7" versions

Names are going to be "Coyote" and "Hollywood" supposedly.

Here's a link you might want to check out

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-news/18580-amazon-could-ship-1-2-million-tablets-next-quarter.html

onebree

Jul 13, 2011
It's not going to be like the Kindle. There's going to be two tablets, one with same specs as current Honeycomb Tablets like the xoom, transformer, acer iconia a500 and galaxy tab 10.1 running a dual core Tegra 2 chip and the other a Quad core Kal-El Tegra 3 chip.

This helps a lot. Thank you! But I am not familiar with chips and all that. What is the difference between the Tegra 2 and 3? Furthermore, just out of curiosity, from the picture is it true that Amazon also wants to release its own phone? That be pretty nice. And in general I much prefer the Amazon market to anything, especially iTunes. Gotta love the 0% tax on music!