New user with a question.

5teve

Aug 30, 2010
Hello all,
I won an eBay (UK) auction for one of these gizmos, item number 140441715039.
The only snag that I have with it is that the User Manual supplied with it isn't up to much.
Is there a better one available on-line anywhere?
My 2 main problems are that when I navigate my way through a website's Home page, for example, eBay (UK), to "Community" to "Discussion forums" to "The Round Table", I would like to be able to somehow save that page so that I don't have to jump through all the hoops next time I want to visit that page.
I maybe shouldn't mention this but my oldest boy has an iPad and he can make an icon appear on the iPad's home page as a direct route to any web page or web site. My ePad may be able to do the same thing but I have no idea how.
The second thing I have trouble with is the main screen. When I switch on, I end up with a screen showing the Time/Date and with a few app icons. I can swish the page left or right for a few more icons either way. On the edge nearest the big button there are 3 icons. One is a globe. One is a sort of folder and the middle one is a wierd thing that looks a little bit like a large, push button phone dial. Sometimes when I press that last one, a new screen appears with lots of what look like Apps and I would like to be able to view that screen more often but pressing that icon only seems to work now and then. Is there an easier way?
This is the screen that I want to be able to see.

$epad.apps.jpg

Thanks for any help, guys.
Steve

5teve

Aug 30, 2010
ooops, that picture is a bit small.
Let me try that again.

$epad.apps.jpg

5teve

Aug 30, 2010
Oh, I see now.
You have to click on the image to make it bigger.

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
The thing that pops out when you press the "dial pad" is the app tray. Basically that corresponds to what you see when you press the "Start" button in Windows XP.
To move shortcuts to the desktop, open the app tray, press and hold the icon you want to place on the desktop. The app tray will close, and let you drop that icon on the desktop. You can move the desktop icon around by long pressing it. You can even place it on a different screen by dragging it to the edge of the desktop - The desktop will scroll to the next area, where you can drop the icon. This is at times tricky, especially on resistive screens, so it's best to be on the desired area when you move the icon out from the app tray.
To remove a shortcut from the desktop, long press the icon, move it to the "dial pad" and hold it there for a moment. The dial pad will change into a trash can and when you release the icon over the trash can, the icon is gone.
In the web browser, press the Menu button when you are on a page you want to return to. Press Bookmarks and then Add bookmark.
To place a bookmark on the desktop, long press on an empty area on the desktop.
A menu with the heading "Add to Home Screen" will pop up. Select Shortcut, then Bookmark. Choose your bookmark (created in the browser) and an icon will be placed on the desktop.

Last edited:

5teve

Aug 30, 2010
Thank you very much for the info.
I'll try all that later tonight and report back.
Cheers,
5teve

5teve

Aug 30, 2010
Hi again,
I tried those suggested actions and it all worked brilliantly but I also discovered a few things as well.
Pressing the Apps tray icon with my finger did nothing but a sharp jab on it with a stylus from a PDA worked wonders and brought the App tray up every time. I found a similar issue when trying to use my finger to scroll down a page that is larger than the screen. If I use my finger, it tends to open whatever "Line" I started on but using a stylus makes the page scroll properly.

I have another question, if I may.
On a Windows based computer, I can use a right-click with the mouse and from there create a folder on the desktop. I can then drag any icons that I like from the desktop to that folder. For example, I might create a folder called "IMAGES" and then drag all my photos into it.
Is that kind of thing possible with these devices?
Cheers,
Steve.

ps ... If that can't be done, is it possible to move the newly created icons (bookmarks) from where the device puts them when it first makes them?

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Pressing the Apps tray icon with my finger did nothing but a sharp jab on it with a stylus from a PDA worked wonders and brought the App tray up every time.
Well, you're supposed to pull the tray out, not just press the dialpad (even if that seems to work on some versions of launcher)
If I use my finger, it tends to open whatever "Line" I started on but using a stylus makes the page scroll properly.
Yes, scrolling with these resistive screen is sometimes a pita, especially if you're "spoiled" with capacitive touch screens. But it is possible to do with the finger and some practice.

On a Windows based computer, I can use a right-click with the mouse and from there create a folder on the desktop. I can then drag any icons that I like from the desktop to that folder. For example, I might create a folder called "IMAGES" and then drag all my photos into it.
Is that kind of thing possible with these devices?
I haven't tried that (despite 1.5 years of Android use...) but I think it's possible, depending on Android version. Tried it now on my Android 2.2 phone, and yes, it can be done. Long press on desktop, select Folders in the popup menu. You can then create general purpose folders, and special folders for e.g. "Starred contacts"
is it possible to move the newly created icons (bookmarks) from where the device puts them when it first makes them?
Yes, long press the icon, and after a short while (like 1 sec) you can drag it around with your finger (or the stylus)[/quote]

Last edited:

5teve

Aug 30, 2010
Zilver wrote ... Well, you're supposed to pull the tray out, not just press the dialpad

That explains a lot. About the only thing that it doesn't explain is why there is nothing in the User Manual (English section) about it.
I'll try the other tips when I get back home and, as usual, report back later.
Thanks very much for taking the time to help a newbie.
5teve

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Well, when you buy a new computer, you don't get much of a manual explaining how Windows works, do you? ;) You should be happy to get a manual at all - my tablet came with absolutely no manual (not on paper, not on disk) what so ever. Forunately, I'm by now well versed in Android and can find my way around. Happy if I can be of any help.
RE scrolling: At times, I find it easier without stylus if I use a finger nail when I scroll. Resistive touch screens really suck, but if a capacitive screen means the Samsung Galaxy Tab price range, I can live with it.