New Users Start Here: Viewsonic gTablet Tips and Tweaks

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Which is better by compareson thenewhoneycombrom or vegan gingerbread

Depending on how you defined 'BETTER' ! ! ! (wanted to add a smiling face here, but I don't know how . . so smile)
. For a bright, young, and adventurous type, I'd say the new honeycome BOS, since this version still requires a lot of work from the users, and not everything is working.
. For a bright, but not as young and not as adventurous, I'd say Vegan GingerEdition since this version is very popular and provides a lot of option to tweaking. Similar to this rom, perhaps I'd add the G-Harmony, Calkulin, CyanogenMod, or Vanilla (the latter one would require a lot of work from users too, but just about everything is working)
. Another class of rom, the TnT Lite series, is for people who prefer simplicity and stability. And of course, the stock rom's are quite good as well.

I'd tried just about every rom's. Since I am not too bright, not too young, and not too adventurous, I prefer Vegan GingerEdition the most. At times, I may try different ones, including the new Honeycom BOS. But this was a pure male ego thing.

For a summary, every rom is good in its own way. Try a few and you would quickly find your favorite.

Dave,

SheriC

May 12, 2011
pbrauer - Thanks for the answer on flashing back to "factory" that helps with my biggest obstacle and I'll check out the Photographers link, great tip

--Sheri

SheriC

May 12, 2011
Hey thanks pbbrauer and Matt for your replies. I'm still here, I packed up and went off to a photo symposium for the weekend so was out of touch.

Matt - appreciate your input and then the update. Any guess on how long it typically takes for lingering problems to get worked out on new releases of ROM, sounds like a potential fit at some point. I am not looking to Edit any photos on the gTab. Just want to view them to check how they come out, in case I need the chance to retake them. Perfect application for this type of device. I use the large jpeg setting, will need to check file size and test it. I will need the USB connection to work in order to upload the photos from the camera. My camera uses regular size SDHC cards so I have a USB card reader. The gTab didn't seem to work when I plugged the USB from my camera to it.

Need to take some more time tonight to look into this. I don't mine modifying my device and I suspect with new versions continuously coming out they will continue to improve the options. I would like to find something that would meet my needs and be stable, as I don't like to be on a continuous upgrade path... I want to use my device for the task at hand.

Great information. I asked a couple people I saw with iPads at the photo convention what they used for this task and was surprised none were using their device for this purpose yet.

-- Sheri

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Any guess on how long it typically takes for lingering problems to get worked out on new releases of ROM, sounds like a potential fit at some point. I am not looking to Edit any photos on the gTab. Just want to view them to check how they come out, in case I need the chance to retake them. Perfect application for this type of device. I use the large jpeg setting, will need to check file size and test it. I will need the USB connection to work in order to upload the photos from the camera.

(1) Updates. This is sort of a cultural thing....remember that the modified ROMS (mods) are coming from the user community, so it really is a "when it happens" kind of thing. A good rule-of-thumb (that also applies to thinking about buying a new device) is: does it do what you want it to do, now? If so, then don't make any plans based on future updates...either keep what you've got, or find something else that will do it right.

(2) USB transfer. I haven't tried the microSD slot, so no comment there. BUT I can tell you--while running the latest few versions of HC/Bottle of Smoke--that I can put a standard SDHC card in a little USB adapter/reader, slide that into the gTab's USB port, and easily copy and transfer over images. OR, I notice the images also get picked up pretty quickly in the gallery while on the SD card, so if a quick view is the goal, then you might just view them directly from the external card.

So at least on those two issues, I'd say you're in good shape!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Depending on how you defined 'BETTER' ! ! ! (wanted to add a smiling face here, but I don't know how . . so smile)
. For a bright, young, and adventurous type, I'd say the new honeycome BOS, since this version still requires a lot of work from the users, and not everything is working.
. For a bright, but not as young and not as adventurous, I'd say Vegan GingerEdition since this version is very popular and provides a lot of option to tweaking. Similar to this rom, perhaps I'd add the G-Harmony, Calkulin, CyanogenMod, or Vanilla (the latter one would require a lot of work from users too, but just about everything is working)
. Another class of rom, the TnT Lite series, is for people who prefer simplicity and stability. And of course, the stock rom's are quite good as well.

I'd tried just about every rom's. Since I am not too bright, not too young, and not too adventurous, I prefer Vegan GingerEdition the most. At times, I may try different ones, including the new Honeycom BOS. But this was a pure male ego thing.

For a summary, every rom is good in its own way. Try a few and you would quickly find your favorite.

Dave,
Dave, your comment is so even-handed, diplomatic, and persuasive, I think it's almost in bad taste for me to add a footnote...but...can you elaborate on your concerns with HC/BOS? I don't know if I'm just having good luck with it, but since Gmail is now working, it's been my default ROM (OK, for all of 2 days!). I admit that it could be a bit more stable--but since I'm in between young and not-as-young (44 = midlife, right?)--it's hitting the sweet spot for me. At least, all the things I want it to do, it's doing reasonably well (plus all that Honeycomb window dressing).

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hello Matt, the HC/BOS exceeds my expectations, although there are a few things that are not working, i.e.. camera, flash, std pc connection, etc . . . Someday, they would be fixed. But that was minor. Roebeet, in his own vision and passion, took the initial steps and tried to pull other dev's & xda folks to the new direction. So far, he is still alone at the helm. We should have no reason to doubt that he will come to the finish line, but as you mentioned in an earlier post . . .a "when it happens" kind of thing . . .

Why xda holds back ? Why he has to move ? Why other rom dev's have not followed suit ? Why Viewsonic has not embraced ideas from public developments and ripped profit from a good product ? So this made your statement . . .a "when it happens" kind of thing . . . even more powerful.

Hah ! let's not take this thing seriously. It is just a gadget. If it works, great. If not, there are other alternatives.

Cheers to you and all.

Dave,

P.S. By the way, the micro sd card is a great addition to the tablet. I used a 16 gb class 4 which I bought for around $24. It hold lots of ePubs and data.

mcdonald2k11

Sep 19, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm decided whether or not to buy a GPad, you see, the thing is that I want it for travel and mostly for entertainment uses.

The deciding factor is this:

Can I use Skype video chat on the GTab? It'll be my means of communication during travel so if the answer is yes then I'll buy it.

The other factor is:

Is Netflix supported? I'll love to see movies there also.

Thank you all!!!

SniperDroid

Oct 8, 2011
I'm so noobie that I can't even find the "Thanks" button on this thread.... but thanks anyway! Re-reading your post made it so much easier than
others did. I loaded Cyanogenmod 7 tonight, and WOW, does it smoke compaired to stock! Thanks again.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I'm so noobie that I can't even find the "Thanks" button on this thread.... but thanks anyway! Re-reading your post made it so much easier than
others did. I loaded Cyanogenmod 7 tonight, and WOW, does it smoke compaired to stock! Thanks again.

There are many other ROMs to be found. You could try Slatedroid.com or Tabletaroms.com amount others.

sent from my Gtablet with Clemsyn Kernal using Tapatalk

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am up to FlashBack 10 and still loving on my gTablet. Spent a month with a Xoom and a month with a Galaxy, but in the end I still think ours is the best value

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I am up to FlashBack 10 and still loving on my gTablet. Spent a month with a Xoom and a month with a Galaxy, but in the end I still think ours is the best value

I feel the same way, especially with how much support thats available outside Viewsonic.

sent from my Gtablet with Clemsyn Kernal using Tapatalk

HipGnosis

Mar 31, 2012
I don't get it... 'New users start here' and it's about rooting and ROMing?!??

How about giving us a hint, reason, explanation of WHY we MIGHT want to do all this?!?!?