newbie needs nowledge

rellimed

Sep 19, 2012
Yes I know I misspelled knowledge, just thought all n's looked better. The title says it all plus maybe I am going about this backwards....I don't have a tablet at this point and that is the main reason I decided to join the forum to see if I might benefit from the knowledge of others who do.
From what I have read (and certainly what I have seen in advertisements) I most likely will not (assuming I do get one) not use a tablet in the manner that most? do. I am not a gamer of any sort and I am not a big fan of internet videos. (I know there is something seriously amiss here)
I am looking to move to a tablet primarily for the portability of it and the fact that I am finding the majority of my computer time has changed over time. The functions that interest me are obviously web browsing, primarily to sites like OpenCongress, PopVox, Govtrack, Thomas, OpenSecrets, Sunlight, FEC, usa.gov and similar sites. At those sites I find legislation that I feel is important, DOWNLOAD AND SAVE THAT LEGISLATION to my home NAS. I currently use a kindle that can get the download legislation to the kindle to read when I have time. So most of my usage will be to visit sites, download and save information for reading at a later time. Of course I also would do my email on it.
I just tried a friend of mine's Samsung Galaxy Tab, 16gb. They are not technologically literate by any stretch of the imagination and are using the tablet with nothing more than what it came with. It seemed page loading was a little slower than their computer and it did not have the ability to transfer files to and from their home network. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME.
So bottom line I mainly am interested in the portability of the tablet to do what I do mostly on my computer, file transfers, email and small file editing.
Is there a best tablet for this type of user?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android Tablets. The best place on the forum for "shopping" information and recommendations is the Android Tablet Discussions section. I'm going to move your thread over there for you so folks can discuss your tablet requirements with you and hopefully make some suggestions. Good luck!

BTW Nice to see you're already helping folks out.:)

rellimed

Sep 19, 2012
Well, this place seemed like a good forum, I don't own a tablet...yet but am seriously considering one
and as far as the help, seemed like the only thing to for someone who seemed even more lost than me ;-)
Thanks for the move, hopefully it will help me to find what I am looking for.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Well, this place seemed like a good forum, I don't own a tablet...yet but am seriously considering one
and as far as the help, seemed like the only thing to for someone who seemed even more lost than me ;-)

Everyone on this forum was in the dark when they got their first Android device so you are not alone, but there is plenty of great information here on the forum to get you up and running when you do pull the trigger.

Last edited:
D

Dawnstar

Hello

What you said in the OP tablets or Tab, IPad all of them are not Computer PC's they never will be that fast if you want speed more than a tab buy a laptop IMO, Everyone here can give you their own opinions just like me so it will be hard for you again on what you want, (what you pay for is what you get today) there are many good tablets also Samsung and Apple ipad on the market, But first what's your price range?

Read this to help yourself
http://www.china-tabletspc.com/cube/

Last edited by a moderator:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Just about any Android Tablet can access network storage locations with the proper app. I use ES File Explorer and it can access windows file shares (SMB or SAMBA) as well as FTP locations. I am often copying files or viewing files from my media server (~6 TB of storage) on my Tablet.

It is hard to tell you which is the best tablet. I am partial to the Asus tablets as they can be converted to an almost netbook with the keyboard docks. The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is also pretty sweet, and Acer has some good tabs.

If you want a smaller tablet, the Nexus7 is a great deal for $199.

It comes down to what you are willing to spend on the tablet, and what size tablet you are thinking about. There are 3 main sizes, large (10"+), medium (8-9") and small (7" and smaller).

I would say head to a local store that has them on display and check them out. Some users love the 7" tabs as they can pretty much fit in your pocket. Others want the 10" screen, and some others like the mid range.