Newbie with Brain Problem

bobloes

Jan 1, 2013
Hi All

As with all forums this really is a great use of the WWW.

My daughters have bought a Xmas present of a Superpad 8 for my wife. I am supposed to be the computer savvy one but there are a number of things I am unable to do. The two pressing things are

a. I want to be able to clear the application icons from (what I will call) the desktop. This is because I have generated three Skype Icons on the home
page while trying to solve problem b.

b. She has now registered on Skype. Unlike my Windows based capability we are unable to bring up the screeen where Mic/Speaker/Webcam etc levels
can be adjusted. The mic is clearly not working but I can find no way to activate it.

I have been fluent in Dutch, German and Arabic in my younger days but making sense of the translation of the very limited information in the 'handbook' is beyond me. Any help will be gratefully received. As she does not know about forums yet I will also look pretty good if I (you) can solve this!!!!!

Cheers and Happy New Year.

D

Dawnstar

Hello

Welcome to AT:D

Your questions answer in blue

a. I want to be able to clear the application icons from (what I will call) the desktop. This is because I have generated three Skype Icons on the home page while trying to solve problem b. (Just press the icon on the home page and hold it then move it to top of the screen to delete it)

b. She has now registered on Skype. Unlike my Windows based capability we are unable to bring up the screeen where Mic/Speaker/Webcam etc levels can be adjusted. The mic is clearly not working but I can find no way to activate it.(If the mic is not working you might have to return it for repair)

But before you return it go into Settings and check to see if the mic vol is turn down low if there is one

Happy new year to you

Last edited by a moderator:

bobloes

Jan 1, 2013
Hi Dawnstar

Thanks very much.

a. I want to be able to clear the application icons from (what I will call) the desktop. This is because I have generated three Skype Icons on the home page while trying to solve problem b. (Just press the icon on the home page and hold it then move it to top of the screen to delete it)

I tried it and it did not work, the icon just kept bouncing back. However I then saw on the 101st attempt (I am nothing if not determined!!) that as I moved the icon the words "Remove it" appeared in the top centre of the screen and dragging it there did the job. Well done.

b. She has now registered on Skype. Unlike my Windows based capability we are unable to bring up the Skype screeen where Mic/Speaker/Webcam etc levels can be adjusted. The mic is clearly not working but I can find no way to activate it.(If the mic is not working you might have to return it for repair)

But before you return it go into Settings and check to see if the mic vol is turn down low if there is one

Maybe I should have said that the Icon of a Mic with a diagonal cross is displayed rather than it is not working. I have checked Settings but I have no Mic listed in sounds. When we first tested Skype this morning we think that the Echo/Sound test worked - always difficult to be certain what you have done after a few hours messing around. Could it be that I need to learn more about Linux?

Thanks for the guidance.

Bob

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Bob, congratulations on the new Superpad 8 and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you get that microphone turned on. Good luck!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Welcome bob, you may also want to try downloading a recorder app from the Play Store to make sure the mic is working. There should be several free voice recorder apps to choose from as a test. If the mic works in one of those then it is just a matter of figuring out how to adjust it in the Skype app.

bobloes

Jan 1, 2013
Hi All

Sorry for not replying to you hepful people sooner. Only so many hours in the day etc .... Feel a bit of a numpty. Took the advice about a recorder and sure enough the mic works. Then rechecked Skype, heard my voice on the echo test. So it is all working. In both cases however the audio level is very low. Skype still shows a "mic not on " icon. I still have not found an area where I can adjust the mic volume. As a point of interest the on board loudspeaker volume control does not have an effect when I am using Skype. Thanks very much for all those who suggested a solution. As the man almost said "I am sure I will be back.." Cheers.

Bob