Next Gen of the Huawei to Have Capacitive Screen

epsteinjosh

Dec 13, 2010
I have to say that after doing the calibration using a resistant screen is not a problem at all. After getting used to it I have had no problems. I don't think its worth the extra money for the capacitive screen

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure if I had capacitve screen I would still use a stylus. I don't like using a small stylus, so I use the large on for the Nintendo DS-XL.
Remember that capacitive screens work by transferring (conducting) a weak electric charge to your fingertip. Not possible with a stylus. :(

How does a touch screen work? | Answerbag

Any suggestions on a nice "fatter" stylus for resistive screens? I have an Asus hybrid tablet/PC that needs one!

-Matt

ufxss

Nov 16, 2010
I would recomend the S7 without any question. The response is excellent, I ended up using a stylus anyway for accuracy more than response. Specially in web pages with small links, a stylus will get you to the exact link.

Besides the included stylus I found a Pen type stylus at Bed Bad & Beyond, for $7....Give me a break, I was waiting for my wife...

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Aside from Pinch and Zoom I really don't miss the added performance factors of the Capacitive Screen, and I honestly can't find that it is worth $200 extra for it. I use my finger 90% of the time, and when i need a stylus the built-in one is fine, or i have a cheapo mechanical pencil (the ones with the plastic tip) with no lead works a treat when I really need something.

As for the performance of the resistive screen on the S7, as I have said before it is by far and away the most responsive and accurate one I have ever used.

LDW

Dec 12, 2010
Ufxss nice to know i have been thinking the past few days that even with the capacitive screens out there the percision on the keyboard and everything in general is a bit hit and miss so i think a stylus is the way to go . pretty sure the S7 is going to be a great to use :D can't wait .

peeter111

Nov 24, 2010
Battery life does suck, that is for sure, but really 3 hours of tablet use in a day is a stretch, so it doesn't bother me that much.

But in perspective of a phone, the battery life is on par. And, like a phone the battery is exchangable. So, extended life batteries or spares should be considered.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
^apparently the Nook color is rooted, so in time will have the dev community contributing a la XDA;
iPad & Galaxy: high priced

S7 needs the dev community to make this a truly capable tablet; unless we get support from HUAWEI or preferably the dev community this tablet will not evolve and will be left in the dust.
XDA is supposed to give the S7 it's own forum sometime this week. Those guys should be able to get something cooked up pretty quickly.

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
XDA did give the S7 a forum - so far it's lifeless - they don't have anything going! Agree with ainyul - if there isn't an effort on a ROM or a similar kind of hack freeing up more memory, this S7 is toast. Come early next year it'll be raining Android tablets.

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I'll try to stir something up?

Edit: I do not see that Huawei forum actually...

lak

Dec 12, 2010
I am extremely happy with my S7. I got one yesterday. Wi-fi is great. Tmo 2G/3G works, everything work just fine. I hope Huawei will give us a froyo update.

Dec 5, 2010
XDA did give the S7 a forum - so far it's lifeless - they don't have anything going! Agree with ainyul - if there isn't an effort on a ROM or a similar kind of hack freeing up more memory, this S7 is toast. Come early next year it'll be raining Android tablets.

Do you have a link? I can not seem to find it

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
Just bought a color Nook, rooted, Angry Birds etc... With the lack of progress here (basically nice folks but lotsa talk, little action regarding modding/hacks/etc. I had to take the plunge). Little progress from Huawei regarding accessories - you can't even purchase a spare battery or charger! BN supplies many cases/chargers/screen protectors, etc.

I fear (as others have stated) that the S7 is going to become an orphan ala Archos/Augen/Pandigital and many others.

Goodbye and Good Luck but for $300 it ain't worth it

docfreed