Next3 8.4" (8.6") by Nextbook USA (Tablet & Ereader) with RockChip RK2818

Daisimae

Dec 23, 2010
I've been using Next3 since Monday.

Apps from Slide Me, AndroidPit, Android Freeware and Freeware4Android all work. I couldn't install AppsLib or App Brain. But, I did download an app from App Brain to my computer and transferred it to my Next3. It works

radioman52

Nov 28, 2010
All in all these tablets are good for the money. I am really surprised so many people expect all the features at a low price point. The bottom line is it's good for what it is. If they are able to root it, it will be great. You can sideload apps, go to SlideMe or go to Handango. I def want gapps on this thing though.

I like this Tablet, the size and format is just right for me battery life is excelent (as claimed) and video performance is outstanding even from a class 4 card, watched a bunch of Doctor Who episodes over Xmas day and the introductory price was stupendous.

You are correct as to value in this tablet, it is just suprising that the stateside inporter would shoot themselves in the foot by loading down this tablet with all of the Borders bloat but I guess Borders is trying to stay alive and paid for the "stuffing".
Got a message from a china friend and he is saying that G_d Googel is asking some fantastic prices for GM AND APPS that the smaller manf are not willing to pay, this may be why this puppy is missing the "option" and stuck with that lame market.

OK Crew lets not forget this puppy is Android 2.1 (legit not china fake) this may be our opportunity to move on up from the 1.6 world.

We can only hope (Tipster WAKE UP and take notice) to get this N3 rooted, debloated CLEAND UP and a decent FW installed before our "return" dates expire

Radioman52
Over and out passing out over the "spirited Egg Nog

hankrnot

Dec 15, 2010
Try these two: Slide Me, AndroidPit

Merry Christmas or Seasons Greetings!

Thanks for the sites. I don't know anything about root. This unit suits my needs ok for now. Tweeking tips would be great. I would like to know how to access contacts. I can't find a rolodex app an would like to store my phone numbers on here.

radioman52

Nov 28, 2010
I like this Tablet, the size and format is just right for me battery life is excelent (as claimed) and video performance is outstanding even from a class 4 card, watched a bunch of Doctor Who episodes over Xmas day and the introductory price was stupendous.

You are correct as to value in this tablet, it is just suprising that the stateside inporter would shoot themselves in the foot by loading down this tablet with all of the Borders bloat but I guess Borders is trying to stay alive and paid for the "stuffing".
Got a message from a china friend and he is saying that G_d Googel is asking some fantastic prices for GM AND APPS that the smaller manf are not willing to pay, this may be why this puppy is missing the "option" and stuck with that lame market.

OK Crew lets not forget this puppy is Android 2.1 (legit not china fake) this may be our opportunity to move on up from the 1.6 world.

We can only hope (Tipster WAKE UP and take notice) to get this N3 rooted, debloated CLEAND UP and a decent FW installed before our "return" dates expire

Radioman52
Over and out passing out over the "spirited Egg Nog

Recoverd from my Xmas stupor and now I am wide awake.
OK I am starting to get a bit Peved at this NextBook outfit, how dum can you get I guess they can try for the 2010 Stupidity award.
This things FW implementation is so buggy, I guess they hired a lamer to install all of the "blocks" and bloat to the Android 2.1 implementation that you have to chuckel I do not think that HSN will be a happy camper when the 24 thousand that they claimed that they sold will start to show up on the express lane for a return.
I stillhave all of the packaging "ready".

This N3 thinks that it is a CELL PHONE and not a EBOOK READER as claimed.
The cell phone net connectivety checking application is consuming 80% of the CPU in trying to determine if it has network connection and even if you kill it it comes back, choking this puppy big time, I guess when you pay a high school kid in China to do your software work you get what you pay for.

This implementation is begining to look like what AUGEN marketing pulled when they put out the 'The Book" which was a decent e-book reader but they crippeld the browser and did a dump on Kmart.
In comparison "The Book" which was on a low level cpu platform but its E-book, music and video application, simlistic but operational make the N3 look like a turkey.

Can you belive that the N3 will not do 128 bit WEP only 64 bit (no setting ability) and then if you do not type fast (how can you on the SLOW keyboard) the Wi-Fi will time off and reset, the only connection is to a wide open system.
What a SHAME very nice hardware THE LAMEST ANDROID 2.1 IMPLEMENTATION THAT I HAVE SEEN SO FAR.
Even my China bloat Android 1.6 has a better implementation.
If Tipster or the the other board experts are not abel to clean this on up then it back To HSN, what a shame.

For me the Clock is counting down for this tablet.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
N3 it's okay not 100% there some issues when you charge it like it turns itself on.
Memory is poor compared to my two tablets epad and m150 still have 140MB free and N3 is less than 100MB
WiFi is very good but you can't do any of the fancy games.
I have a lot apps crashing to much.
You got 95% E-Reader with limited 5% Tablet.
I like the design and it's thin and style is cool but that's about it.
Now that Elocity A7 has a update to fix the games, and installing of apps Might not reconsider having that go back.
Since that has Dual core 1GHz, 512MB 3D GPL games play on it and it has Flash and OS 2.2.
Next3 CPU isn't that great

If you just need an e-reader than this one is for you..
If you need limited 4:3 to 16:9 video player than this is for you
If you just need a basic tablet than this is for you.

If you want more than A7 extra $100 bucks gives you another 256MB better CPU, gives you another 2GB for storage and a camera/video camera, HDMI 1080p
So these are the things you have to justified the extra cost.

Coby MID7015-4G, gives you 1080p HDMI port, another 2GB for internal storage, no camera / video for $148. but the CPU is only 120MHz more.

Call to HSN and get to sent back..

radioman52

Nov 28, 2010
N3 it's okay not 100% there some issues when you charge it like it turns itself on.
Memory is poor compared to my two tablets epad and m150 still have 140MB free and N3 is less than 100MB
WiFi is very good but you can't do any of the fancy games.
I have a lot apps crashing to much.
You got 95% E-Reader with limited 5% Tablet.
I like the design and it's thin and style is cool but that's about it.
Now that Elocity A7 has a update to fix the games, and installing of apps Might not reconsider having that go back.
Since that has Dual core 1GHz, 512MB 3D GPL games play on it and it has Flash and OS 2.2.
Next3 CPU isn't that great

If you just need an e-reader than this one is for you..
If you need limited 4:3 to 16:9 video player than this is for you
If you just need a basic tablet than this is for you.

If you want more than A7 extra $100 bucks gives you another 256MB better CPU, gives you another 2GB for storage and a camera/video camera, HDMI 1080p
So these are the things you have to justified the extra cost.

Coby MID7015-4G, gives you 1080p HDMI port, another 2GB for internal storage, no camera / video for $148. but the CPU is only 120MHz more.

Call to HSN and get to sent back..

Had a test set up my M001 runinng SlateDroid Mercury against the N3 with the bloat, M001 Hands Down WINNER!

Packing the N3 up and calling HSN for a return, such a waste of hardware.

Looking at the ZTO-10-2-Tablet-Android-2-1-Infortm-1GMHz-3-1M-pixels-Camera-WIFI-Ethernet two micro sd slots and gps and it has a phone card.
Regards.
Radioman52

jegg

Dec 27, 2010
Wow I was lurking here waiting to see what would be done to mod this and the consensus is to send it back!? I am sad, this makes the second cheapie tablet I have to return to HSN. (The first was the Coby, but that was defective as the battery would not stay charged and they were all out of replacements.) I was hoping this would work and I would be able to use it, so far though I am liking it, got Taskiller killing most of the bloat, seems it would not be so hard to delete some of the junk files?

What is the best inexpensive tablet to get- what is the A7 that Tipstir mentioned, the Archos 7? there are so many Archos tablets I am lost as to which one to get, and it won't be easy to return depending on where I buy it, so please some advice, thanks very much!

Ronin

Dec 28, 2010
Ok....so the general consensus is the next3 is not worth the money??

I see from tips post you are recommending the eLocity A7 or the Coby for the money???

Is that correct??

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
N3 is good for daily task, going on the internet, watching video or listening to music. I did take a look at the Ereader side it's okay the pages have some nice animation when you turn the page. Screen is sharp and semi-glossy. Don't want it too glossy. I have until end of jan 2011. Would be nice if they had a ROM for it I would mod it and make it have the apps I use an Market Running on it and remove all the Borders stuff off it. Tweak the CPU to the max. I was using all day today and even feel asleep with it. Okay call Mr. Tablet but still it's large enough to us it and thin to hold in your hand. After New Year I'll decide. A7 I guess I'll be keeping that. I look at that as PSP pretty much that's all you can do with that one, I know you can do other things. N3 tap n tap seem great still they need to release a ROM to fix some things. A7 no market and yep someone found away to get Market on there.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Shame, shame this device is starting to act on me. None of my Music Videos are playing correctly and during playback this is what I am seeing this one (green pattern in the background!

166107_485578297948_579882948_6054218_6338498_n.jpg

I guess time to pack it up and send it back into HSN.. :(

min10-2008

Dec 21, 2010
Hi all, just spent about 1/2 hr reading through all yr trials & tribulations. Nothing much has hit the Aussie market yet & the couple that have.............well I'm unsure about especially reading yr posts. I'm not techy & have no idea how to 'root' a pad or whatever you want to call yours if it's behaving or not LOL. Think I'll be hanging off till 6th Jan 11 new IT show in US & see what the 'guru gadget gremlins' have invented to frustrate the devil out of us all, we started with www. & now have the 'ggg.' Happy New Year from Adelaide South Australia.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Lot's of hits and miss in this Android game. Tablets and E-Readers with hybrid Tablet features. A7 tablet out of the box is Rooted but yet does it have Market on it. It's like a game of baseball strike one, strike two and well.. strike....?

runnomore

Dec 23, 2010
Asking again, for ppl who have Next3, is the G-sensor suppose to work on the Home page? How about w/video? Mine's not working w/the preloaded video or w/the 2 videos I loaded; they're only playing in landscape mode. Also, when I go on Youtube, videos will play in landscape when I have it on portrait or vice versa, or upside down. The G-sensor's working w/pictures. I've contacted Next3 but haven't yet heard from them. I just want to make sure that it's working as it should (cause my unit came w/a small bump/convexity). Thanks in advance!