Nextbook NFC

jdclipper5

Mar 7, 2017
Is there some who is aware of whether the device in question (nextbook 4.1 jellybean) has NFC as a feature?

I was told you can confirm by clicking "more" under the wifi in the settings screen and the ability to toggle NFC would be listed (under "more") but I don't see it. I'm hoping the error is me and not that this tablet doesn't have NFC...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If the tablet has NFC, there will be a toggle to turn it on or off. If present, the toggle would be found exactly where you mentioned. Therefore, your tablet doesn't have NFC.

gabe-ulrickson

Jun 27, 2017
The only devices have NFC that run android 4 are the galaxy s3 and s4 and those were running android 2.3 and were updated to 4.4

Sent from my NX16A8116K using Tapatalk

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@gabe-ulrickson : Yeah, no. The Galaxy SIII and S4 both ran Android 4.x and both had NFC. However, neither device ever had Android 2.3.x on it. The SIII devices all shipped with Android 4.0.4 while all models of the S4 save the GT-I9506 and GT-I9515 shipped with Android 4.2.2. The SIII never was upgraded past Android 4.3, but the S4 was upgraded to Android 5.0.1. The earliest device from Samsung to have NFC was the Galaxy SII, which started with Android 2.3.

However, there are more smartphones out there besides Samsung. A complete list of NFC-enabled smartphones can be found here. Unfortunately, the list limits itself to smartphones and doesn't list tablets with the capability.

gabe-ulrickson

Jun 27, 2017
Yeah but most were top of the line, I didn't even know NFC existed til I purchased my GSIV
I BELIEVE some newer tablets may have it. Why would you want NFC on a tab anyways

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah but most were top of the line.
Irrelevant. Ignoring the inaccurate statement regarding the SIII and S4 having Android 2.3, the point of the matter is there are far more devices supporting NFC than you think.

I didn't even know NFC existed til I purchased my GSIV.
Understandable, as NFC was almost unheard of in devices prior to 2011, and still uncommon until 2012 or 2013.

I BELIEVE some newer tablets may have it. Why would you want NFC on a tab anyways?
Given what NFC is capable of doing, which is virtually anything based upon the programming skills of the owner, there are lots of reasons why the OP might want NFC capability on his tablet. It's almost a certainty that Samsung tablets will have NFC, especially as all their phones have it. Other devices? Wikipedia provides a more complete list of devices that have NFC, including tablets.

gabe-ulrickson

Jun 27, 2017
Yeah I can see your point. Main thing I think of when I see NFC is touch to connect and tap to pay. And my statement about Most android devices running android 4 that had NFC were top of the line when they were released

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
...my statement about Most android devices running android 4 that had NFC were top of the line when they were released.
Debatable. I wouldn't consider the Casio G'zOne CA-201L anywhere near "top of the line", not when Samsung released the Galaxy S4 Active at the same time. At best, the Casio would be a mid-range device while the S4 Active was a flagship.

gabe-ulrickson

Jun 27, 2017
Irrelevant. Ignoring the inaccurate statement regarding the SIII and S4 having Android 2.3, the point of the matter is there are far more devices supporting NFC than you think.

Understandable, as NFC was almost unheard of in devices prior to 2011, and still uncommon until 2012 or 2013.

Given what NFC is capable of doing, which is virtually anything based upon the programming skills of the owner, there are lots of reasons why the OP might want NFC capability on his tablet. It's almost a certainty that Samsung tablets will have NFC, especially as all their phones have it. Other devices? Wikipedia provides a more complete list of devices that have NFC, including tablets.
Also, I purchased my GS4 in summer of 2015 but unfortunately even in a OtterBox Defender case the screen shattered (screen and digitizer) with a 3 ft front drop and after spending $60 on a replacement screen, it fell out of my pocket into the road face-up and got ran over, case was fine but the internals were smashed or at least it seemed that way as no lights would light up and it immediately shut off when it got ran over, I saw it- tried to stop the truck and failed.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk