Nexus 7 Tablet Holder for Car

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Besides all the generic tablet holders you see on eBay that use spring-loaded jaws to squeeze your screen until it breaks, is there a holder that fits the Google Nexus 7 2013? I'm using the AMP mount. I checked for the so-called car dock, but that doesn't seem to exist either.

Does this tablet have some kind of magnetic-mounting capability?I saw a video of a CD-slot mount and it looked like the tablet just sticks to it.

thx

Last edited by a moderator:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Here are my three most lkely picks. My rule is that they grip the corners instead of squeezing the middle, and they be able to hold the tablet in landscape orientation normally, with an occasional switch to the portrait orientation.

#1:
$Nexus holder 1.jpg

#2:
$Nexus holder 2.jpg

#3:
$Nexus holder 3.JPG

Holder #1 is from Proclipsusa, and will hold the tablet securely in any orientation, but I can't tell how you get the tablet in or out! It's also $50, but you get the swivel mount ($14) with it. It's not for me, unless I"m riding a in monster truck upside down? ACCEPTABLE, provisionally.

Holder #2 is for an iPad?? Really. I bought a couple for my Huawei S7 to modify (trim up and bend with the heat gun.) They are cheap (about $10, from China) but it meets the rule. MAYBE. I hope the photo is for the iPad holder, and the Nexus holder is very similar. The related eBay auction.

Holder #3 is very cheap ($4 or $5, from China) but you must squeeze the tablet tightly if you want to turn it to portrait orientation. BOO.

If holder #2 truly holds the Nexus 7 safely in landscape orientation, no matter how bumpy a road you're on, then I wouldn't mind buying that one

Any discussion?

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I bought one of the the #2 holders from the pictures in the previous post. It fit the tablet very well, so the tablet won't slip or shake if you use it in either orientation. Usually the holders like the #3 photo hold the tablet well in landscape, but if you turn it to portrait, the tablet will fall through eventually, if you are driving on any road (from the bumps.) so either you have to squeeze the heck out of the sides, glue some pieces of wood to the corners, or use a 3-point holder.

With the custom-designed bracket for my car from proclipusa.com, I can drive around in safety and not get lost! lol

I haven't tested it in the car, but I will in a few days after I dig the car out of the snow.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I spoke too soon. the holder I bought is USELESS.

The slots that the swivel head hooks go into are UPSIDE-DOWN, so if you did put the holder onto the swivel head, it would FALL OFF because the hooks won't lock into the slots. At the first bump you hit, the whole thing will fall off and you get to buy a new tablet. You could only use this holder in landscape orientation, if you were able to lock it to the swivel head and don't hit any big bumps.

I couldn't even get it to hold the tablet on the tripod for a still photo. It's a good thing I tested it on the bed.

It's possile I was sent a faulty item, or the eBay seller has a stock of defective holders. I contacted the seller, and maybe this problem can be solved satisfactorily.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Every seller on eBay must be getting their car mounts and holders from the same manufacturer, because I looked for a holder that has the right kind of AMP connection, and they are ALL wrong- they require you to push the holder UP to "lock?" it...

I really hope Google will get after those people, because they are giving the Nexus 7/2 a bad name.

jbrantley130

Jun 9, 2014
I use a tablet holder bought from Wal-Mart. I can't remember the brand but it works great. It has this sticky material on the face plate that securely holds my Flo in place. I've never had it fall out....and I live in a rural area of Alabama so you can imagine the condition of the roads here lol. Anyways, it comes with a windshield mount, dash mount, and one for a cup holder. Cost was around $25. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk