No Keyboad on Hotmail

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
Recently I tried to forward a Hotmail email and discovered that the keyboard would not pop up.

Is this just me, or is it some kind of Hotmail or Honeycomb glitch?

Is there any way to force the keyboard to appear?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Were you using one of the 10 or 15 hotmail apps or just the stock mailer, browser, or what?

Last edited:

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
I am using the stock browser only.....no apps. I didn't realize there was a hotmail app.
Tell me why I should be using it.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
If you have this issue when you go through the browser this is actually a glitch that I have seen on a lot of sites, not sure why it happens. Try this trick, click on the URL bar like you are going to enter a new address, you should get the keyboard popup. then click back in the text box you want to type in and you should see the popup keyboard.

The clients are just that, mail clients. They are faster, easier to use and more secure that doing email via the browser.

jostarr

Feb 15, 2011
If you have this issue when you go through the browser this is actually a glitch that I have seen on a lot of sites, not sure why it happens. Try this trick, click on the URL bar like you are going to enter a new address, you should get the keyboard popup. then click back in the text box you want to type in and you should see the popup keyboard.

The clients are just that, mail clients. They are faster, easier to use and more secure that doing email via the browser.

1. Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it, but it didn't work.

2. I also tried a Hotmail app.....and like with the GMail app, I prefer using the browser.

3. Is the no way to force the keyboard up?

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Well...selecting the URL bar should do the trick...does this happen only with Hotmail site???

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
On my hotmail account with the stock browser I also see the problem of getting the keyboard to pop up.

Persistence and tapping twice usually triggers it. You just have to try harder.

This is a microsoft site, and they are not friendly to Android, and I suspect they have done everything in their
power to make it really crappy on Android. I do know that site runs a boatload of scripts.

Best results I have had was with the Opera Browser, free in the market. Second best was with Dolphin for pad (free in market).

But I really don't understand this desire to do everything in the browser. There are multiple Email apps that you could use which work so much better than a browser, and eliminate all of that silly interface that they hang on there. Even the stock Mail app that comes on android knows how to set up hotmail in 30 seconds flat, and it just works!!!. Why fight a cluttered web page? Is this a case of the only tool you know how to use being a hammer causing you to look at every problem as if it were a nail? :p

Last edited:

deadlychicken

Jul 5, 2011
It would still be a useful feature to have the keyboard forceable. The skydrive windows live versions of office could be a useful tool for the android tablet.