Nook is best dedicated ebook reader

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Hmmmm. Well, the author of the article may 'applaud' the lack of audio, 3G, a web browser, no landscape options, but the fact is that those are features you get in the Kindle that dispute the 'best' label of the new Nook. Also, no overseas support, an official anti-refund policy on books, and the fact that the 2M titles BN claims vs 950K for Kindle is based on BN including public domain titles in their claim where Kindle does not, all make the 'best' title iffy. I have tried the new Nook, and it's a sweet little device, but better than the Kindle? I don't think so. :)

tomtin

Jan 30, 2011
I have both a rooted nook color and the new touch nook. Gotta say, they both complement each other perfectly. I'm sure the kindle is great but the lack of a touchscreen makes me less interested. I love just tapping a word I do not know and then having the definition displayed. Scrolling is just annoying, which is why I sold my first gen nook when I got the color.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Yeah, I like the touchscreen in the new nook a lot, and it's pretty responsive. I'm hoping amazon plays copycat on that in the next gen of Kindles. But I'm not willing to give up the audio, the 3G, etc...and I have a big Kindle library already. :)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
But I'm not willing to give up the audio, the 3G
I'm not sure what you mean. The 3G is just for ordering books isn't it? WiFi works just fine for that.

Last edited:

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
WiFi works fine--when it's available. :) In the past three years, I've been in many situations where it hasn't been. :)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
You just need to plan ahead and order a bunch of books before heading into the Sahara.:)

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
Heh. But with the Kindle I don't have to plan ahead. :)Seriously, I've found myself wifi-less in nice hotels, parks, beaches, parking lots, restaurants, on planes awaiting takeoff--and in my own home when the power is out. The free 3G comes in handy, then. So does the--admittedly terrible--browser.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I've got to admit I've been w/o WiFi a lot more times than I've been without 3G. (A few places in the Ozarks, my phone couldn't get a signal strong enough.) Not trying to be a smart-a#%, I have two serious questions:
1. For reading, my NC sound only comes into play for reading children's books. Does the Kindle use it for anything else?
2. Is the 3G supported in Europe and other locations outside the U.S.?

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I've got to admit I've been w/o WiFi a lot more times than I've been without 3G. (A few places in the Ozarks, my phone couldn't get a signal strong enough.) Not trying to be a smart-a#%, I have two serious questions:1. For reading, my NC sound only comes into play for reading children's books. Does the Kindle use it for anything else?2. Is the 3G supported in Europe and other locations outside the U.S.?

1.Kindle plays MP3s, Audible books, and books that have text-to-speech enabled. And the speakers aren't bad.

2. Yes, the 3G is supported outside the USA. I'm not sure if there are extra charges in other countries.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks. I wondered how that 3G w/o a contract works.

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
The 3G w/o contract is free in the USA, for general browsing and downloading content. But I think I recall hearing about an extra charge per book when using it overseas.