NOOK to get update in Q1/2011 to support Android apps

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
care to interrupt that for those of use that are less then ' smart' about the tech language ???

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
care to interrupt that for those of use that are less then ' smart' about the tech language ???

Sorry :)

It means sometime in first quarter 2011, the NOOK will get support to run Android 2.1 (non-flash) applications.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I talked to the Nook-Guy at B&N the other evening when I picked up my new one (returned my first one with dead pixels) and he said the next update was supposed to come between the 20th to 25th of this month and update to Froyo w/full flash support and market.

He could be full of BS, but I don't think he was lying. Possibly just misinformed.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I talked to the Nook-Guy at B&N the other evening when I picked up my new one (returned my first one with dead pixels) and he said the next update was supposed to come between the 20th to 25th of this month and update to Froyo w/full flash support and market.

He could be full of BS, but I don't think he was lying. Possibly just misinformed.

The OP's info was referring to the Nook, not Nook color. But I hope the b&n guy is correct about the NC. From what I'v heard the NC is getting update 1.1 this month, whivh won't be 2.2 but more development freedom and bug fixes. And 2.2 upgrade is slated for Feb. for the NC.

See "Nookcolor Technical" section for more speculation info and sources.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using the Android Tablets Forum App

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
Not an expert, but I believe it will restore your NC back to default i.e. strip/overwrite the root. I haven't done it myself yet but everyone seems to recommend backing up using the Astro app so you don't have to re-install all your app's again.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Updates will always destroy root but usually only wipe the system folder, leaving your personal files in tact. Not a big deal since you can easily re-root. On huge updates, which change the OS and require a wipe of the entire system, usually give you a warning. But backing up your apps is always a good idea.