NOOKcolor Accessories

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
Here is an image of the official B&N Silicone Skin. As you can see it covers up the funky handle thing. I took this with my Droid X while preparing for a lecture. $2011-01-13-10-08-44-919.jpg

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Here is an image of the official B&N Silicone Skin. As you can see it covers up the funky handle thing. I took this with my Droid X while preparing for a lecture.View attachment 786
Wonderful! Powerpoint or Open Office? ;)

I just bought a clicker that will allow me to wander the entire lecture hall (300 seats) and still control the presentation. Now I can finally see what my students are really up to while I'm talking!

-Matt

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Wonderful! Powerpoint or Open Office? ;)

I just bought a clicker that will allow me to wander the entire lecture hall (300 seats) and still control the presentation. Now I can finally see what my students are really up to while I'm talking!

-Matt

Hi Matt,

I Since you're also in the lecture biz - have you thought about ways to use an android tablet to deliver a presentation? Without proper inking, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort, but it would be fun to try.

I think the best way would be to vnc to a pc connected to a projector (and set the pc to 800x600 - a compromise between the pc/projector/tablet).

-Mike

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Hi Matt,

I Since you're also in the lecture biz - have you thought about ways to use an android tablet to deliver a presentation? Without proper inking, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort, but it would be fun to try.

I think the best way would be to vnc to a pc connected to a projector (and set the pc to 800x600 - a compromise between the pc/projector/tablet).

-Mike
Wow Mike what a super super idea! I wish I'd thought of that. It's funny but just having forward and backward buttons is not really enough for me...being able to completely control the presentation while moving about sounds perfect. :cool:

Can you help me solve one challenge?

My campus uses a proprietary VPN that I haven't quite gotten to work on my Droid. So I can connect with wifi anywhere using my notebook, but not my phone (or, I assume, the Nook). So how to get the PC and the NC connected?

Ah, this is brutal but I could: (1) run wireless tether on my Droid, (2) install the adhoc "fix" on the Nook, (3) connect the PC and Nook via adhoc wireless LAN and then (4) run vnc on the PC and Nook to allow remote control! Not pretty, but it will work.

Or, hmmm...maybe I can just run the PC in adhoc mode, and the "fixed" Nook will find it? I guess this would be easier if I could just get everybody to communicate via infrastructure mode...but that damn VPN problem...

Any suggestions?

-Matt

MoCoTerp

Dec 4, 2010
Here is an image of the official B&N Silicone Skin. As you can see it covers up the funky handle thing. I took this with my Droid X while preparing for a lecture.View attachment 786

I've been having weird issues ever since I put my Nook Color in that silicone skin. I don't know if it passed a static charge, pressed on some button, or was flexing the motherboard. For awhile it would keep resetting and not allow me to see my wifi settings (rooted), but ever since I took it out of the skin it has been working normally.

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
@MoCoTerp. Strange, I haven't had any of the events you describe, perhaps an improperly grounded board and flexing with static like you said.

@gadgetrants. I use both OOo and Office. I'm slowly transferring over to OOo, but I use alot of resources from other people in my lectures so sometimes I endup with compatibility problems using OOo. I've been using OpenOffice for nearly 3 years daily. With the help of some forum members I've created some daily automated SOAP notes (for patient care). My wife is an Office 2003 expert, and has some serious issues with 2007 and 2010, I admit, I like 2010's ribbon much better than 2007. I just don't want to have to shell out the $$$ for 8 new licenses. On the Nook I'm testing out Documents to Go.

I also use a Targus remote slide advance ($24 amazon) and find it helpful, my lectures are generally around the 25 people mark so I don't have to do too much walking.

@markiej I've been looking for an eink app forever, I remember neat it was to write notes on my old palmV, apparently, the technology is just not there.

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Wow Mike what a super super idea! I wish I'd thought of that. It's funny but just having forward and backward buttons is not really enough for me...being able to completely control the presentation while moving about sounds perfect. :cool:

Can you help me solve one challenge?

My campus uses a proprietary VPN that I haven't quite gotten to work on my Droid. So I can connect with wifi anywhere using my notebook, but not my phone (or, I assume, the Nook). So how to get the PC and the NC connected?

Ah, this is brutal but I could: (1) run wireless tether on my Droid, (2) install the adhoc "fix" on the Nook, (3) connect the PC and Nook via adhoc wireless LAN and then (4) run vnc on the PC and Nook to allow remote control! Not pretty, but it will work.

Or, hmmm...maybe I can just run the PC in adhoc mode, and the "fixed" Nook will find it? I guess this would be easier if I could just get everybody to communicate via infrastructure mode...but that damn VPN problem...

Any suggestions?

-Matt

If you're on windows 7, you can run Connectify on your laptop to create a true wifi access point (as opposed to adhoc). Lock it down with WPA,don't broadcast the SSID, and don't tell IT. Because they don't like people backdooring into their network.

Dr.Bones

Jan 11, 2011
I'll have to check out Connectify, sounds pretty cool, and sounds like a name I would use!

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
I've been looking for an eink app forever, I remember neat it was to write notes on my old palmV, apparently, the technology is just not there.
The issue is the capacitive screen - designed for finger presses and slides. I had an old palm as well, though the screen was passive and monochrome, I could sketch on it like gangbusters. I still dream of the device with the capacitive for navigation and manipulation, then break out a thin-tipped stylus for precise drawing and note taking. There is R&D on those devices (and some windows tablets and convertable netbooks already have this). But I bet it will be buggy and pricey for a while.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
If you're on windows 7, you can run Connectify on your laptop to create a true wifi access point (as opposed to adhoc). Lock it down with WPA,don't broadcast the SSID, and don't tell IT. Because they don't like people backdooring into their network.
Whoah...just tried Connectify and it's awesome. Thanks again for the link Mike. Solves all my problems.

-Matt