[Article] No Nook Colors for two weeks?

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
There's no way a hardware manufacture would roll out a unit without the inital ROM to allow rollbacks, as not having that there is the one thing they could that would make their support issues into a bigger nightmare. It's at least as useful to them as to us. They may indeed make it harder to root, but pulling a method for a hard reset is not at all likely. I've done this sort of work some years ago, and even the time/expense/logistics of tweaking everything in the inventory channel is a big deal. We used to keep manuf costs reasonable by having some ROMs preprogrammed before they were even wave-soldered in place, exactly because once they're fully built, it's a very manual update and test process. Very ugly from an economics standpoint. We avoided similar actions like the plague, when it was even vaguely avoidable. Interesting for sure though.

And lastly, definitely add me to the bandwagon of guys who wouldn't have bought it except that it was Android based and rootable. I was looking for a tablet, not a reader.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
.This is my reading of the situation:-B&N from the beginning put the nook on the market as an e-reader but they gave it an android heart in case that was the direction their customer wanted them to go.And now they know... .very few care for another e-reader. Why should they destroy what is there,,..they will probably do some major update to their device so that new buyers won't have to root it.They are probably thinking of a way to update the price as well....

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea I was thinking B&N may increase the price once they have 2.2 Froyo as stock.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
NookColor in Short Supply - PCWorld

It noted that at retail giants like Best Buy and Wal-mart the e-reader is "out of stock" and at the B&N home site, it's listed as "back ordered."

One reason for B&N putting the brakes on NookColor shipments is because wants to update the version of Android operating in the device

Hmm, wonder if any truth to that statement? Would seem to go along with the rumored future road map for February/March for the NC. Going from Android 2.1 to 2.2 will be a huge update requiring a complete wipe, unlike the current b&n 1.1 and previous 1.0.1 updates which were minor and only updated the system folder, leaving user content in tact.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
NookColor in Short Supply - PCWorld

Hmm, wonder if any truth to that statement? Would seem to go along with the rumored future road map for February/March for the NC. Going from Android 2.1 to 2.2 will be a huge update requiring a complete wipe, unlike the current b&n 1.1 and previous 1.0.1 updates which were minor and only updated the system folder, leaving user content in tact.

So that means that early adopters don't get froyo? No way. How many units would they be selling in the next couple weeks vs. the what, hundreds of thousands of units out there now?

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Phandroid.com is reporting that shipments have seized because of a inhouse shipping software issues that b&n is dealing with, not because of user nodding.

sent from my rooted nook color

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Well, my cousin Willy down in the bayou said he talked with Steve the Barber whose sister is sleeping with Tom whose friends niece is going to school with Mary, and we ALL know Mary, and she said that the Nook's are being recalled because Bill in shipping realized he could root them and sell them on ebay for $275 each. So, guess this means no more 250 tablets for the common folk.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well, my cousin Willy down in the bayou said he talked with Steve the Barber whose sister is sleeping with Tom whose friends niece is going to school with Mary, and we ALL know Mary, and she said that the Nook's are being recalled because Bill in shipping realized he could root them and sell them on ebay for $275 each. So, guess this means no more 250 tablets for the common folk.

Hahaha. Excellent!!! ITS ALWAYS SLICK WILLIE

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

Abb0nz

Dec 31, 2010
That's brilliant, I'm still smiling :)

Sent from my Nook Color

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
Plan on buying one tonight so I called my local B&N They said they have plenty on the shelves. No worries here...Still gonna cal before I drive out there after work.

Cen5

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Don't believe it. This is all propaganda and lies spread around by the establishment, Amazon. :)

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablets Forum App

rsmcjr

Dec 18, 2010
i see everyone looking to buy them from either best buy or bn......i have gotten 3 from walmart and they have tons of them. why wait??