Nook's software is now a hybrid nightmare

Autimneus

Jan 26, 2012
I rooted my nook color a good while back and after successfully managing to get everything running like the android store, as well as placing new apps onto the device the thing auto updated. This removed a couple key features like su, but the device was for my uses, still perfectly usable and tolerable in this state.
Today however, the device decided to auto update again (the netflix update), and now that B&N has practically redesigned the entire control scheme, pressing the home button or exiting native apps results in it going to a normal nook home with no access to any of the root related apps, such as winamp. These are around after a reboot, as long as I don't press home or launch something from the nook again such as the library or the web browser.

At this point I'm debating just unrooting to stock using the guide, and then rerooting to see if I can get the auto update issue solved. I remember never having been able to access the nook's system files from my PC even after the root last time though, but that's a different matter. My questions are, if I were to reset to factory defaults would I lose all registered information such as my B&N account, installed apps and such? Also more importantly, is there a method to root it right now from this latest firmware? It may be extremely tedious as it is, but I'd much rather have something that can competantly play music than mess with the nook's default player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So what version are you on now 1.4? I don't believe there is a specific nooter for this build but the previous rooting procedures may still work. Before you do anything you may want to learn how to make a nanroid backup using ClockWorkMod Recovery and a Titanium Backup for apps and data. Once you have those you can feel more comfortable about any other changes you plan on making. If you factory reset you will loose everything and have to start from scratch without backups.

Unless there are specific features of the stock Nook that you must have (e.g. Read to Me) then I would strongly suggest looking at replacing B&N OS with CyanogenMod CM7. You can still access B&N books through the B&N app (admittedly not as good as the native B&N reader) as well as any other apps available on the markets. What you gain far outweighs what you lose for most people. On top of that CM9 is going to be released in the next couple of months which is Android 4.0 known as Icecream Sandwich. This update to Android brings significant changes.

Although you can restore from backups sometimes it is good to start with a clean slate. It gives you a chance to rethink your setup as well as your apps. You will not loose anything you have purchased from B&N or Amazon or Google. Purchased apps and books can be redownloaded from your account.

JP

beaujack

Jan 3, 2012
Good advice. Although my rooted 1.4.1 NC was stable for a week(wow, new NJ record) I find CM7 on SD to be superior.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Autimneus

Jan 26, 2012
I think what I'll have to do then, is wait for a rooter for 1.4 with an unrooted nook.
I'll definitely look into backing everything up though, my only real concerns are the files inside of Fliqnotes. If I can back them up, I could possibly wait out the time for a new rooter. The only real sacrifice from the rooted nook I care about is winamp, the nook's built in music player is beyond terrible.

If anyone has tips for backing up everything like fliqnotes and my B&N account info up and which backup method to use I'd appreciate them.

-Edit: I think this is exactly what I'm going to do. Most of the apps I put on my nook while rooted are trivial and pointless, things like emulators. The only one I ever use regularly being winamp, while I have another device that can play music and emulators better now. I also just realized I can send all my notes to myself using email in fliq notes, so that's as good as backed up.

So yeah, as mentioned before help with this process would be appreciated. Unrooting would be much less appealing if it can go wrong somewhere, are there certain steps I should be wary of when following the guide here?

-final edit:

Scratch all that, reverted to stock without issue.

Last edited:

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Is a dual boot chip out if the question ? Could give you some freedom until CM-9 takes off. Also, the Titanium backup can be saved to your hard drive or to DropBox for safe keeping.

Mike