Notion Ink Adam

Bafucerkin

Nov 23, 2010
I dont know how to edit the Thread Name (new to Forum) But it is meant to say "Notion Ink Adam"

So, as has everyone on the Forum, I have been doing a ton of research and looking into which Tablets will be available before Christmas and then which of those will actually be good and which will not. The Viewsonic G Tablet seems to be somewhat of a wash thus far without doing a bit of personal hacking to it but could get better with the updates promised in December. One that I recently did stumble into though is the Notion Ink Adam (Notion Ink Adam), and it looks quite impressive. There is a video that Slash Gear got, Notion Ink Adam hands-on - SlashGear, and with that just being the prototype I am excited to see what it has in store. Just wanted to send this out to see if anyone else had looked into this one yet and if not, take a look and let me know what you think.

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Bafucerkin,

The Adam is looking extremely good if and when they can ship them. Notion Ink

This site is being blogged by the CEO and that tablet is looking extremely nice. However, I still worry about screen availability since Ipad is chewing up large amounts of available cap screens. Now the higher end model will have the Pixelqi or something like that. Not sure if this company actually engineers and manufactures the screen or if they just contract it out to other manufacturers.

There have been rumors that maybe by christmas, but if we do see it my guess is in late Jan. for mass availability, but that is just that, a guess.

I am running the Huawei right now and for a starter it is pretty nice, but when better products are available next year I will be upgrading. If everything comes together this may be on my short list even though the screen is bigger than I really want.

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
Not sure if this company actually engineers and manufactures the screen or if they just contract it out to other manufacturers.

Did some research on Pixelqi. My SWAG is that they are the engineering company and probably don't own the factory. The only reason I say this is because looking at the "for hires" it is mainly high level engineering positions. I am a supplier to contract manufacturers and this is the way most of their customers interface with them. Hope this doesn't affect screen availability for them. Really want to see this product out there.

Last edited:

jcollardx001

Aug 24, 2010
Bafucerkin,

The Adam is looking extremely good if and when they can ship them. Notion Ink

This site is being blogged by the CEO and that tablet is looking extremely nice. However, I still worry about screen availability since Ipad is chewing up large amounts of available cap screens. Now the higher end model will have the Pixelqi or something like that. Not sure if this company actually engineers and manufactures the screen or if they just contract it out to other manufacturers.

There have been rumors that maybe by christmas, but if we do see it my guess is in late Jan. for mass availability, but that is just that, a guess.

I am running the Huawei right now and for a starter it is pretty nice, but when better products are available next year I will be upgrading. If everything comes together this may be on my short list even though the screen is bigger than I really want.

I have been following the Adam since the January review of it. They are definitely contracting out the build. The blog has mentioned different times when they have visited different vendors.

A recent concern I have that maybe someone else can help clarify, I read this week the the Tegra 2 was actually developed and optimized for MS Windows or WindowsMobile. I also read that the Android devices coming out based on it are not performing that well against other chips. Is this truly the case?

It could totally change my opinion of the Adam, which is the device I have been comparing all other models too, waiting to purchase.

Bafucerkin

Nov 23, 2010
fishy, Thanks for the info, and I also hope that the screen is not the determining factor on this shipping, especially the Pixelqi one, since this would be an awesome feature to have.

jcollardx001, I have herd that the new ones with the Tegra 2 (Viewsonic G Tablet mainly) were not performing how you would expect they would for the processing power. Most of this has been attributed to the TapNTap UI That is installed on board but not too sure on the actual optimization for the processor.

fishy

Aug 2, 2010
I have been following the Adam since the January review of it. They are definitely contracting out the build.

Jc, I meant the screens. Not sure if Pixelqi has a factory or they contract out the design. If they contract out then that could be a supply issue. Hope not.

jcollardx001

Aug 24, 2010
Jc, I meant the screens. Not sure if Pixelqi has a factory or they contract out the design. If they contract out then that could be a supply issue. Hope not.

Something I didn't realize in researching pixelQi manufacturing is that the technology was developed for the OLPC program. Here is a link to an acticle that talks about their "manufacturer of choice."

Pixel Qi manufacturing delays fixed, ready for 'some of the largest computer companies in the world' -- Engadget

jcollardx001

Aug 24, 2010
fishy, Thanks for the info, and I also hope that the screen is not the determining factor on this shipping, especially the Pixelqi one, since this would be an awesome feature to have.

jcollardx001, I have herd that the new ones with the Tegra 2 (Viewsonic G Tablet mainly) were not performing how you would expect they would for the processing power. Most of this has been attributed to the TapNTap UI That is installed on board but not too sure on the actual optimization for the processor.

I had not read the TapNTap part. That's very good to hear. Thanks!

Nov 27, 2010
Seriously, I hear so many great things about this upcoming device except the release date. What is the hold up? Does anyone know anything more on this device?

jcollardx001

Aug 24, 2010
Seriously, I hear so many great things about this upcoming device except the release date. What is the hold up? Does anyone know anything more on this device?

They are supposedly very close to release now. Some believe that the decreasing binary number on the upper right corner of thier website (www.notionink.com or www.notionink.in) points to a "pre-order" date. If that is true, then we have 3 days left. The other hold up appears to be the FCC approval in the US. However, I don't see how that would be impacting release to other countries.

Click the blog link off the website and read their blog history. They have been pretty forthcoming about the design and application stack to be released with the device. Comparing their specs to other android tablets does make it look like they are well ahead of the pack, but I am REALLY looking forward to reviews about actual performance.