Offline Mode to Google Nav On the Way

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
street-view2.jpg
It looks like we will finally be getting an offline capable version of Google Navigation some time this summer. AllAboutPhones and Engadget are reporting that while we don't know pricing details (hopefully it will remain a free service) it appears that users will be able to download route information to their device while they have a connection and then use Google Navigation offline, which would be a great solution for those that don't tether their tablets or have a data plan.

Source - AllAboutPhones

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Is this a "step up" from the caching introduced with GM 5 that has the same effect? I hope so, since that has been very "fragile" on my Archos 5 - had to be careful after getting a route to do a dry run through it, then keep that onscreen, and somehow break the fixed-base wifi connection before hitting the road - tricksy indeed. Either way, forget about live traffic updates, which is half the reason I like GM/Navigator.

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
What is the CURRENT - April 2012 STATUS on this OFFLINE Google Maps? I am in the process of getting a tablet, and I am looking for this option being available for my Navigation. Thanks.