Other charger options?

jcdwing

Nov 29, 2011
Hi I wanted to see if anyone else was having any luck with auto chargers on the Vtab 1008 . It uses the standard micro usb. Are other chargers compatible with it?

I tried the blackberry charger it shows the lighting bolt for a couple of seconds then goes off. Also didn't seem to add any charge to the battery.

any help would be good as my daughter uses it when we travel and additional charging would be great.

Thanks

jcdwing

Nov 29, 2011
Yes

But I have forgotten the home once and that also was not good when the talent ran down.

tlyonstlyons

Nov 29, 2011
Hi I wanted to see if anyone else was having any luck with auto chargers on the Vtab 1008 . It uses the standard micro usb. Are other chargers compatible with it?

I tried the blackberry charger it shows the lighting bolt for a couple of seconds then goes off. Also didn't seem to add any charge to the battery.

any help would be good as my daughter uses it when we travel and additional charging would be great.

Thanks

It's the current. All my >1.5A chargers work fine. Others charge for a few minutes and then turn off. With the tab turned off, it the lightning mark turns off but it does charge very slowly, like over night. Try www.dealextreme.com for cheap solutions. They also have cheap adapters from microUSB to the more common miniUSB.

shortstone

Nov 8, 2011
I have an USB adapter lighter charger that came with another device that uses a system just like the VTAB (micro USB to USB to DC adapter) where the USB end just connects into it and it charges the VTAB fine. I picked up another like it for my daughter who travels a lot and it works fine for her tech things as well. I picked hers up at Dollar Tree for a buck!

JoelWUpchurch

Nov 30, 2011

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Vtab charger is 5V 2A.
Any aftermarket charger producing 2A will do.
Lesser ones might work too, but the charge will take longer.

bill2

Nov 17, 2011
I ordered a USB car charger from Monoprice for $2.50. I'll report back when I get it. I already got a microHDMI cable from them and it works fine. I've used Monoprice for years and they always seem to have the best prices on cables. It is only 500ma, but it should be enough to run the vtab in the car, but recharging, not so much.
For only $2.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter (500mA Output) | Car Charger Accessories

Next time you might want to order this charger instead For only $1.46 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Micro USB Car Charger - 1000mAh | Motorola

It outputs 1000mA.

JoelWUpchurch

Nov 30, 2011
I think I will next time. The built in micro-usb cable is reason enough. I can give the other one to almost anybody as a stocking stuffer.

ronbot

Nov 5, 2011
Just my $2.02 worth.... (inflation, ya know...)

I tested my vtab, it draws 1.7A at full charge rate. Most (well designed) chargers will current limit when you exceed their output current design limit, and the voltage will "droop" until the current stabilizes at their max. current output rating. As others have surmised, this results in a lower than desired charge rate... HOWEVER... running a charger for extended duration in an overload condition MAY result in its failure. Failures SHOULD result in a complete loss of output... however (again) NOT ALL designers are allowed to design for an intrinsically "safe failure", because it costs more to do it right (no-brand China models are often this way). SOME may even fail in a way that shorts the input voltage directly to the output... something that would result in destroying the vtab DC input circuit... a very expensive experiment.

This "high current USB charging" all became possible due to a 2009 addition to the USB specification, quoted here from Wiki: (Wiki "USB", section 6 "Power)

"In Battery Charging Specification, new powering modes are added to the USB specification. A host or hub Charging Downstream Port can supply a maximum of 1.5 A when communicating at low-bandwidth or full-bandwidth, a maximum of 900 mA when communicating at high-bandwidth, and as much current as the connector will safely handle when no communication is taking place; USB 2.0 standard-A connectors are rated at 1.5 A by default. A Dedicated Charging Port can supply a maximum of 1.8 A of current at 5.25 V. A portable device can draw up to 1.8 A from a Dedicated Charging Port. The Dedicated Charging Port shorts the D+ and D- pins with a resistance of at most 200 Ω. The short disables data transfer, but allows devices to detect the Dedicated Charging Port and allows very simple, high current chargers to be manufactured. The increased current (faster, 9 W charging) happens if both the host/hub and devices implement the new charging specification."

I just found this: Dual output - 1Amp and 2.1Amp... awesome... (just be sure it's the one for the iPad charging)
Scosche-reVIVE-II-Dual-USB-Car-Charger

Also, there are now copies from the Orient (of course there are!)... just search around for iPad car charger or "2A" car charger. Many have 2 outputs, but only allow 1 device at a time... the good brands (like Scosche) allow use of both 1A and 2A ports.

There's even a Scosche model that has TWO 2.1Amp ports, simultaneous usage! ...and s cute little single / low-profile 2.1A model...

NO... I'm not a Scosche employee or any such... I'm an engineer who gets excited when I find something that others have been looking for too!

I love my VTAB!

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for the Dollar Tree tip, and will go tomorrow!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

CoachGary

Dec 3, 2011
Next time you might want to order this charger instead For only $1.46 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Micro USB Car Charger - 1000mAh | Motorola

It outputs 1000mA.

1000ma is the same as 1 Amp. The VTAB will "ask" for 2 Amps to charge. If the charger can only supply 1 Amp, then it will probably take twice as long to charge it. What is unclear is if the Vizio will still work while charging with only 1 Amp available.

Here is what appears to me to be a good one to get.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-car-cha...IA+UA+FICS+UFI&otn=21&pmod=290636074338&ps=54

Or this one is a little more money, but I think it is probably a better quality unit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SCOSCHE...Pad-1-iPad-2-3G-WiFi-/300625145380#vi-content

Last edited:

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Bought it today. I Specs are good. I Will road test later; will advise. Love this thing!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

JoelWUpchurch

Nov 30, 2011

It outputs 1000mA.

The one I ordered showed up and seems to work. The red light comes on the icon in the upper right shows charging, but the one Bill2 suggested is 1000ma and the microusb connector is built in.

You might want to order a micro-hdmi cable and an LCD Screen cleaning kit at the same time. It saves on postage.

chicobiker

Nov 10, 2011
Bought a Scosche reVIVE II ($16.30) online at Meritline.com. Received it last night and gave it a test today. Tablet was down to 50% when I plugged it into the 2.1A port on the charger. I checked two hours later and battery up to 99%. Looks like it is going to work out just fine.

Last edited: