Other Options for connectivity to networks

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
There are three primary choices for Tablet connectivity. These are:
1. WiFi wireless
2. 3G connectivity if your tablet has a SIM slot
3. Hand-net (You remove and insert your micro-SD card from your tablet to your PC and vice-versa) :D

There are other options which for you. Some work fine. Others have issues. These are:

1. Direct wired network connection. There are many tablets which have the VIA 8505 chipset also include a Mini-Dock. This mini-Dock has a 10-100 network connection. Note: Some individuals have had problems with the wired network connection. I am one of them. I had to manually configure my network connection for it to work.

2. Direct Tethering to your 3G Phone: Some but not many phones allow the phone to be used as a 3G modem via USB hosting. I have yet to see it work on an Android Tablet. But it should be possible.

3. 3G Modem insertion.This is using the 3G Modems that would go on your PC USB port plugged into your Tablet USB. This sounds like it could work. But I have played around with my 3G modem and no luck thus far. It is recognized by my tablet. But the tab does not seem to make that final network connection. You may have better luck. NOTE: Using a 3G Modem card on a Tablet really, really sucks the battery on your tablet.

4. IPhone MyWi or Similar AdHoc 3G applications. What these applications do is turn your 3G phone into an Adhoc WiFi access point. This thread describes how to set your tablet up for AdHoc WiFi. Remember AdHoc connectivity is not the same as a true Access point. It is more like a one to one conversation. The applications work, but do not expect robust speed. And the other ad hoc phone Access point may not have a great wireless antenna, so you might have a range of 1 Meter.

5. MiFi Routers or MiFi capable phones. This is by far the best solution for the Android Tablet user who wants connectivity. MiFi is pretty neat and offered in both dedicated router or built into a phone. I started using MiFi for my Tablet and it works great.Mine is a Novatel like what I have shown as a link. MiFi is NOT offered everywhere in the world so you might want to look at adhoc applications like a MyWi. The Droid X offers the mobile Wifi Hotspot. This is another option

Best of luck on any of these.

woody50

Oct 8, 2011
1. Direct wired network connection. There are many tablets which have the VIA 8505 chipset also include a Mini-Dock. This mini-Dock has a 10-100 network connection. Note: Some individuals have had problems with the wired network connection. I am one of them. I had to manually configure my network connection for it to work.
Hi Gurgle. Can you tell me (maybe step by step) how to connect a wired network to my Zenithink ZT280. I have tried much, but still cannot get on. Guess I don't understand what I have to do.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Earl

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Unfortunately, I do not have your tablet. If you have a tablet that has the RJ45 dongle. The first thing I test is whether the link light is lit on both ends. If it is list, then the switch or hub may not be set to the same connection mode as your tablet and not recognize the tab. I would recommend you play with your tablet network configuration modes for the wired connection. If not lit, then first replace the network cable, then try a different port on the switch or hub. Try a friend's switch or hub. If no link light still, it is once again the configuration on your tablet or the RJ45 network dongle is faulty.

Sorry that is the best I can suggest without having a like Tablet. There is enought difference between how the builders brew their FW, it can make a difference.

woody50

Oct 8, 2011
Unfortunately, I do not have your tablet. If you have a tablet that has the RJ45 dongle. The first thing I test is whether the link light is lit on both ends. If it is list, then the switch or hub may not be set to the same connection mode as your tablet and not recognize the tab. I would recommend you play with your tablet network configuration modes for the wired connection. If not lit, then first replace the network cable, then try a different port on the switch or hub. Try a friend's switch or hub. If no link light still, it is once again the configuration on your tablet or the RJ45 network dongle is faulty.

Sorry that is the best I can suggest without having a like Tablet. There is enought difference between how the builders brew their FW, it can make a difference.

Hello Gurgle, thanks for this information, I will try to see what's happening. I cannot find any manual for this tablet, so its hard to know. There was a RJ45 adapter sent along with the tablet, so it should work. I have tried the WI-FI, it does show my router, but can't seem to get a IP address or somthing, just stays searching. Thanks again.

Earl in Holland