pair but not conected

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdrms

Nov 27, 2010
im using tethering for root user and im trying to conected my hero phone to this tablet.
it said pair but not conected any idea how to fix this? thx in advance

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Well, I'm reading a lot into your posting, but I'm guessing that you are trying to use Bluetooth, and you want to use your android phone to connect to the internet by "tethering" the tablet to it. I'm not an expert, but the short answer is, you can't. The problem is that Android has very limited connectivity to other Android devices. Well, none, really out of the box. Android does not have a DUN client, which is what you would need to use Bluetooth. It also does not have the ability to connect to Ad Hoc WiFi networks either, which is what tethering programs produce. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is in the same boat, people are buying it then are surprised that they can't connect to their Android phone. There are a few exceptions for some isolated phones and tablets where the manufacturer has built in support, or someone has written a custom kernel with DUN support, but the S7 is not one of them. There is no piece of software that you can download that will fix this either, I've looked. The only hope is that some day someone will build in support into a custom kernel, and if you know enough to do that you probably would not ask the question heh. If anyone knows how to do this, please jump in!

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
...and to add to brachiopod, if you want to tether it adhoc you need to root your device modify the wpa_supplicant.conf file to achieve it.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
All said above is true, so right now BT tethering is not a viable solution. That being said, it is possible to tether via WiFi if you have set that up on your phone. My current configuration is the HTC Incredible running SkyRaider 3.3.4 on Verizon. I have WiFi tethering on, and connect from my S7 via this set up. Works a treat!

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
All said above is true, so right now BT tethering is not a viable solution. That being said, it is possible to tether via WiFi if you have set that up on your phone. My current configuration is the HTC Incredible running SkyRaider 3.3.4 on Verizon. I have WiFi tethering on, and connect from my S7 via this set up. Works a treat!

This is not a general solution. This is an example of something that works with some of the HTC phones, and only on Verizon using a trick to use their $20/mo pay service for free, and only if you install that particular custom ROM that has WiFi tethering with infrastructure support. I don't know if the OP can use this or not. If I had an HTC phone on Verizon I'd certainly do this. There is no Android to Android connectivity out of the box. My android phone is a Samsung Intercept, and I'm still looking for a way to tether the tablet to it.

dvdrms

Nov 27, 2010
i have tethering for root user-hero with froyo but my s7 is not see it any suggestion

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Root user tethering under Froyo is ad-hoc, and android devices can't use it out of the box, they require something that can do infrastructure. There was talk about infrastructure support for Froyo, but I guess it didn't make it. It is the same problem I was discussing above.

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
I have tried to connect to my iphone 3gs. I have paired but also no connection. Is this the same story as dvdrms? In my case it would be android pairing with apple. It pairs but does not connect. I have mywi to try out.

zuc

Dec 10, 2010
The problem is that Android has very limited connectivity to other Android devices. Well, none, really out of the box.

Thank you for the explanation. I can connect my s7 to my computer and headset, but not to my android phone. It doesn't even make an attempt to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.