PDFs with the Nook Android App?

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
So I've been looking for a few days and I keep failing at being able to convert a PDF into something that I can read with the Nook Android App. Sure, there's Calibre (seems to be the most popular method) and various online converters, but every single one of them end up giving me a document that looks like crap (absolutely nothing like the original PDF or anything vaguely resembling it). I tend to use technical documentation (specifically whitepapers) a lot, so things like tables, charts, etc. are very important in what I want to read.

Is there some way that I can use my tablet as an eReader with eReader functionality (remembering my last page, giving me a library, etc.) when dealing with PDF-based eBooks? I've mostly only tried the Nook app since, well, my tablet is a hacked Nook Color. I would be open to using a different app, but I can't find a clear consensus on a good one that will do what I want. Either something that handles PDFs well or some method to convert PDFs to ePubs well will solve my problem, I believe.

Thanks!

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
What is your device? My NC reads PDF's fine. I can use the stock NC or use the Adobe PDF app on the rooted side.

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
My device is a cm7-hacked Nook Color. I'm not running the default nook rom.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Then there is a problem with you ROM. Try to reflash or use a different ROM.

opoteat

Mar 6, 2011
I use PDF readers all the time on my Nook CM7. I've found the best one is RepliGo. It does all the things you've mentioned you need plus a little more.

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
Then there is a problem with you ROM. Try to reflash or use a different ROM.

What does my ROM have to do with my laptop converting a PDF to an ePub in a very crappy way? I can view the ePub on my laptop and it is equally crappy there as well. My ROM has nothing to do with this. I'm asking for either a method to convert the file well or suggestions for an application that can read PDFs with eBook functionality (saving my last page, bookmarks, etc.). None of this has anything to do with what Android device or ROM I have - I think you're misunderstanding something.

Last edited:

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
I use PDF readers all the time on my Nook CM7. I've found the best one is RepliGo. It does all the things you've mentioned you need plus a little more.

Just to confirm (since it's $5 and no trial), it does save last-read location? Does it do this in a way that I can sync across devices (such as via Dropbox or something)? I'd like to have it sync across both my tablet (hacked NC) and phone (hacked DX).

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I'm still confused why you are dead set on using the Nook App. Why not use Adobe Reader or Aldiko for PDF's?

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
I've mostly only tried the Nook app since, well, my tablet is a hacked Nook Color. I would be open to using a different app, but I can't find a clear consensus on a good one that will do what I want.

I'm still confused why you are dead set on using the Nook App. Why not use Adobe Reader or Aldiko for PDF's?

I'm not. I just didn't spend much time exhaustively trying out all of my options (there are a LOT!). I was hoping somebody here could say, "These are a couple good ones that should work..." and save me a lot of time. :)

As for why not use Adobe Reader, well, simply opening and reading PDFs is not my problem. I have the DataViz Documents To Go suite that also has a PDF reader. But those apps simply read the PDF. Once I close it and re-open it, I start back at the beginning. I want something that saves my position and such - true eReader features.

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
Aldiko should work fine for you.

Okay, when you were grouping Aldiko with Adobe's software, I assumed that meant they were similar. This is leaps and bounds better than Acrobat as an eReader. Thanks for the suggestion. It appears to be missing some device-sync'ing features, but is a good worst-case scenario. Again, thank you. :)

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Adobe Reader is just that. A PDF reader.

Aldiko is a eReader application just like nook/kindle app. It will reopen the last book (w/e the format) you were reading to the page you left on.