PDN black turns on all by itself?

Jan 1, 2011
I just got the black PDN and every time I turn it off, it powers back on. Sometimes it'll turn back on in 10 minutes, sometimes an hour. I tried unsuccessfully to do an update hoping that may solve the problem. Everything seems to go smoothly thru the update, but when I get to turning off the PDN, then pressing volume+ & power button and holding, it will not show a progress bar uploading the update. In fact nothing happens.
My Mom got the same unit so I tried everything with hers.....same thing! It turns itself back on and won't take the update.
Any suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Is it plugged in when it turns back on?

Sent from my incredible using Android Talert Forum

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
That's weird can you still return them

Sent from my incredible using Android Talert Forum

Jan 1, 2011
Well...for the benefit of anyone who has difficulty uploading a FW update......
After 24 hours of pressing the volume+ & power button to get the update to take hold, I finally got it to take. This is how I did it: After loading the fw update, disconnecting the usb & powering off the PDR, I simultaneously held the volume+ & power button; I held it down for a count of 20 sec. Nothing. So I let go and tried it again...still nothing. I tried it a 3rd time and I saw some white writing along the side of the unit pop up and I immediately took my fingers off the vol+ & power button. The progress bar popped up on the bottom right and the FW download was a success!.
Now let's see if this takes care of the mysteriously powering on problem.....

exscentric

Nov 25, 2010
This has been a problem with the white PD for some time with some firmwares. The best that has come along to date that I have read is to be sure you shut down wifi before powering off. Also get a Task Killer and kill everything before you power off.

I have open platform and have used this for some time and for the most part it works but if I turn it on then off while plugged in it normally comes on in a few hours at least once. If I mind my p's and q's it stays off for weeks at a time.

There are some modded firmwares than seem to be better at keeping them off on the whites units.

It also can relate to google stuff/market from what I've read.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Well...for the benefit of anyone who has difficulty uploading a FW update......
After 24 hours of pressing the volume+ & power button to get the update to take hold, I finally got it to take. This is how I did it: After loading the fw update, disconnecting the usb & powering off the PDR, I simultaneously held the volume+ & power button; I held it down for a count of 20 sec. Nothing. So I let go and tried it again...still nothing. I tried it a 3rd time and I saw some white writing along the side of the unit pop up and I immediately took my fingers off the vol+ & power button. The progress bar popped up on the bottom right and the FW download was a success!.
Now let's see if this takes care of the mysteriously powering on problem.....

congratulations on getting it working. I like to see people that out forth the effort and try to figure it out themselves! also thank you for sharing hot its done with us

Jan 1, 2011
It's been a few days since I did the update on my 2 PDN-black, and they both are working fantastic! The only reason I haven't been here is I've been plowing thru The Confession-John Grisham. I downloaded it free thru a subsidiary of Overdrive, which my library uses.

If my 2 PDN's are working great with the update, then others will too. I hope people will give them a chance because they are worth every cent! Pretty soon I'll be here looking to download every extra program you have to offer! My BF is a Beta Tester-not for this, but GPS's so he's very familiar with extra curricular downloads....
Any suggestions?