Pen and paper replacement app?

Performa636CD

Nov 16, 2012
I'm looking for a pen and paper replacement. What is the best app that allows my handwritten notes to be cut and pasted into an MS Word document and also allows my handwritten notes to be searchable by keyword? For example, if you take notes in class in MS Word through a semester and now it's exam time, but you want to find your notes from that lecture about the industrial revolution, you can use the search function and type in the keywords "industrial revolution" and it'll find you instances where you wrote that in your MS Word document. I would like this search feature with pen and paper, to the extent possible with tablets. Ideally, I would take notes all day and at the end of the day, I could either scroll through my notes and find what I want, or search for a specific word as if I were in MS Word. Obvious, decent OCR ability would be a necessity.

Bottom line: I want a pen and paper with a "ctrl + F" search function and limitless paper. Being able to transfer into MS Word is gravy.

Could I do something like that with an app on an Android tablet? If so, what app(s) would you recommend?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
It sounds like you need handwriting recognition, which is not all that common. There is an app called, I believe 7notes. I didn't find the real time recognition to be that easy, but a supposed feature is the ability to use handwriting and recognize the text at later time.
I played with various options for while, ended up with an Echo smart pen from Livescribe which served me very well until finally Samsung answered my prayers with the Galaxy Note 10.1, an Android tablet with effective handwriting recognition.
There might be other solutions as things progress quickly in the Android universe.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P

Performa636CD

Nov 16, 2012
Tom,

I have heard of 7notes, but after a quick search online, wasn't able to learn much about it. I don't need instant recognition of my handwriting or for the app to instantly convert my handwriting into typed text. I just want to be able to search my handwritten notes by keyword instead of scrolling through all my notes "longhand."

I have been considering the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but it seems awfully expensive, but the screen size, its stylus, and the fact that it was designed for stylus input really makes me think it might be the best bet. But again, for it's price, I don't want to get it until I am 100% sure it is my best option.

Thanks for your advice.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Absolutely, and I know the Note is not cheap. The thing I was thinking is that even if the app doesn't actually convert your handwriting it essentially has to be able to recognize characters in order to search your notes, and I don't know of an app that does this. Interestingly that is what the Echo smartpen was able to accomplish.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1