Performing a True Full Reset

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
So I am giving the S7 to my wife for a couple of weeks to get her impressions of the device (she is not as excited by gadgets as I) and wanted to perform a full reset so that for her it would be like unboxing it for the first time.

After fighting with the USB method for days I discovered that it does not actually perform a full reset, there are still "ghosts in the machine" as it were after resetting the device. I also discovered there is no concise easy write up on how to perform a true and complete wipe and reset for the device.

My experience has been that the only way to well and truly completely reset the device is to do the following steps. If you need firmware, please refer to this thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-tablets/2702-huawei-s7-firmware.html

Here are the instructions:
1. Take a MicroSD Card, format it as FAT32 in your windows machine. Do not format in your android.

2. Create a directory at the root of your MicroSD card called dload

3. Copy the updata.app and unlmt.cfg files to the dload directory on the MicroSD Card (these files are located in the Firmware ZIP you downloaded from the link above). NOTE: DO NOT USE THE ONCE.CFG FILE. If you do, you will be unable to perform future flashes or resets.

4. Fully power off the device

5. Insert the MicroSD card and power on

6. You will see the progress bar if this works

7. When complete you will get an OK on the screen

8. Remove the battery of your device

9. Remove the MicroSD card. - If you don't it will reset when you start the device again

10. Reinsert the batter and power on your device.

If you have a true full reset it will start with the Screen Calibration. If you do not start from that screen you have not completely reset the device.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Wasn't sure if this was useful enough info! ;-)

I will move it to a sticky.

poncespr

Nov 24, 2010
It sure is. I like to wipe and start clean every now and then after messing around installing every game and app that catches my eye.
Thks!

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I have an sdcard setup just for this purpose permanently.

I flashed the US Rom, instead of the Australian Telstra Rom. It is 40Mb smaller and faster. But GPS does not work for latitude and longtitude. Only works for direction. Any ideas?

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
That is probably due to the ROM, not the GPS. have you tried any of the other GPS apps from the market?

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Tried GPS Test and GPS Status. Compass and tilt work but not latiude and longitude.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Just performed this RESET and worked like a charm... Great post and great for recovery in case someone ever brick's their tablet.

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
some of the bloat on the Telstra firmware, can be found in a folder called "telstra_app" which are just package files that persist even after the removal of the applications via third party applications.

I might give that firmware a look see though.

~Ivy

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Now this is interesting. The marketplace application is different on the telstra t touch tab, to the default huawei firmware, and suddenly applications I couldn't find in the marketplace (such as firefox) I can now find.

Odd.

~Ivy

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Even more interesting. It seems marketplace changed again, and now I can't see mozilla firefox in the marketplace.

~ivy

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Still cannot see it on mine. Which rom did you use?