Phone Tether

Mbarz

Dec 27, 2011
I just got the Acer 100 and I am trying to figure out how to get it tethered to my cell phone. I do not have a smart phone just a simple Samsung Gusto with blue tooth. The Acer is paired with the phone but it does not connect. Everything looks good, just shows no connection. What do I need to do or what is missing. Most of the apps and info is for android phones, and smart phones. And I do not have that type of cell phone.

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
Isn't tethering a way to give your device (laptop/pc/iCrap device/wi-fi only device) a way to connect to internet using you smartphones data plan?

For example, daughter had an iPod Touch (I didn't buy it for her!) Obviously, downloaded music played everywhere, as did apps that didn't need internet (games and videos).

However, when we were in the car or areas where wi-fi wasn't available, I opened up wireless tether app on my phone, and she connected that way. She now had internet through my smartphones data plan.

If I was in a hotel & didn't want to use their internet, laptop connected to Android phone.

What exactly are you trying to do? You can't get internet on a non-smartphone, although some have limited wireless web...

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Mbarz

Dec 27, 2011
My cell phone is not a smart phone. It is the Samsung Gusto and it has a data plan and the phone also has bluetooth. It searches and finds the A100 and the A100 also finds the phone. But for some reason when they are paired I do not get a connection. Just wanted to use the tablet when I am not in WiFi range, and thether to the cell phone.

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
Not understanding how phone has a data plan but isn't a smartphone. Does your phone connect to the internet? What else would you use data for?

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Mbarz

Dec 27, 2011
Yes my Samsung phone has a data plan through Verizon. Just look at their web page and you will see the phones and smart phones that have internet connection. I do not use it much, just when I am away from home. That is why I wanted to use the tablet, if I am away for a few days I can check my tablet for weather or my email. And some places does not have WiFi. I was gone for 4 days over the holidays and just got back and now going through all my email that I could not get from my tablet because it will not connect.

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
Your phone has Mobile Web capabilities. Not full internet. No Wi-Fi capabilities. If you didn't want to inadvertly pay for data usage, you may have put a block on this (I did on daughter's old EnV2...)

On Mobile Web phones, you can't use voice over internet protocol (like Google voice) either. If my phone doesn't have cell coverage, (bad network area...) I can still make calls using the internet.

So, unfortunately, you can not tether to a Wi-Fi network, as your phone does not have "true" internet. (Same reason you can't receive email on the phone...)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk