Please help me

asmd2020

Oct 5, 2012
Please help me. I am new to Tablets, I just bought a tablet from Big Lots...it was cheap but seems to be a decent tablet. It is a ProScan PLT8031, 8" Android 4 http://www.curtisint.com/products/Images/SpecSheets/PLT8031.pdf It looks different than the picture but thats the PDF from the web page.

It doesnt have google play and alot of the apps I find from Amazon or the other store dont work, get jar sucks. Anyway I want to root it but I cant find out what kind of tablet it is so I can find out how to root the tablet since they are apparently all different.

Has anyone heard of this tablet? and can anyone help me root it? Thanks in advance.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi, congratulations on your new ProScan tablet and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you identify that tablet. Good luck!

loganone

Oct 12, 2012
I will post what I did to get this tablet rooted and got google market to install on it. It was pretty simple really.

To root I used androidroot ICS - found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460
Just follow the instructions there, make sure to reboot the tablet after every step.

For market. I installed gapps 2.3.4 - http://code.google.com/p/tookdroid/downloads/detail?name=gapps-2.3.4-120304.zip&can=2&q=
Followed the instructions here http://senk9.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/how-to-install-google-apps-gapps-on-your-android-device-phone/
You only need the apps in bold for basic function for the market.

These steps worked for me.

Oh, There is one other issue that you might come across with this tablet. The WIFI will not turn on. I hunted for a while to figure this one out, almost returned the tablet to big lots until I found an app called WIFIX Manager found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1445766

So far this is a decent tablet for its price. After you have learned more about the world of tablets, you might consider using a build prop tool to change the build prop file so more apps will show in the market.

Last edited:

Sabella222

Oct 12, 2012
loganone...can you be more specific which software versions you used? I am looking through all the rar files and can't find one with the specs for the Proscan. There are so many builds and it would be helpful if you could tell us what exactly worked for you.

My poor mom has just been robbed yet again and doesn't want to buy another computer until she moves, so I picked this tablet up for her to read, check email and
watch some movies on and won't be a big loss if something happens to it. I put in a 32 gig sd card and am loading movies and books for her now.

I am unhappy with some of the features of this tablet and want to correct the wifi off issue when you have the sd card in, and get google play on here. I loaded the Amazon market apk and got it working but want google play too.

loganone

Oct 12, 2012
I will package it up and put it on dropbox Everything i used is free. Are you talking about how i rooted it?

DAVIDDEYERLE

Oct 17, 2012
I just bought one of these from Big Lots as well. I got my wife an Emerson 4.3 which seems to do everything ok. Not so sure about this Curtis/Proscan, and I have had bad luck with Curtis contraptions in the past, and probably would not have bought this if the "Curtis" mfr info was not kind of hidden on the bottom of the box....anyhow I am also having problems with the wifi on this. Not even sure what "rooting" a tablet means. Are other tablets out there more easily useable out of the box, or do you have to do alot of downloading and installing apps/programs on all of them? Not sure if it is going to be worth my time to install a wifi fix etc...any suggestions? The clock is ticking and I may be taking this back to Big Lots as well (oh, the 1st Proscan I bought wouldnt detect any wifi at all, even without the card....I took it back and exchanged it for this, and for a while it did detect wifi...now that I think about it, it probably detected it ok before i put the microsd card in it...why on earth would they design something that detects the wifi with out a card, and not with it???) Thanks.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Honestly I wouldn't have bought it, take it back and get another tablet.

srgslaughter

Oct 18, 2012
I will post what I did to get this tablet rooted and got google market to install on it. It was pretty simple really.

To root I used androidroot ICS - found here Root MANY ANDROID! [Upd: 13.10.2012] - xda-developers
Just follow the instructions there, make sure to reboot the tablet after every step.

For market. I installed gapps 2.3.4 - gapps-2.3.4-120304.zip - tookdroid - gapps-2.3.4-120304 - TookDroid - Google Project Hosting=
Followed the instructions here How to install Google Apps (GApps) on your Android Device / Phone « senk9@wp
You only need the apps in bold for basic function for the market.

These steps worked for me.

Oh, There is one other issue that you might come across with this tablet. The WIFI will not turn on. I hunted for a while to figure this one out, almost returned the tablet to big lots until I found an app called WIFIX Manager found here:
[APK] WiFix - Fixes regional Wi-Fi problems in Android 4.x - xda-developers

So far this is a decent tablet for its price. After you have learned more about the world of tablets, you might consider using a build prop tool to change the build prop file so more apps will show in the market.

What did you do to get the tablet to install drivers in windows. I have windows 7 home Premium and the drivers install when in normal mode but when I try to connect the tablet in debugging mode the drivers do not install. How did you resolve this issue?

asmd2020

Oct 5, 2012
What did you do to get the tablet to install drivers in windows. I have windows 7 home Premium and the drivers install when in normal mode but when I try to connect the tablet in debugging mode the drivers do not install. How did you resolve this issue?
I am also having this problem I'm trying to find drivers for windows....but there is absolutely no information about this tablet any where besides the little bit here...I just hope Loganone can help. He seems good at this and the only one that knows anything about this tablet.

Pennam

Oct 29, 2012
The Proscan is a Rockchip tablet (RK2918). There is a forum on here for Rockchip so refer to that forum for further help after doing these steps.

First 3 steps for this tablet. First step is on you computer only, second is on you computer and tablet. The third step can be done on the tablet only.

1 You need the drivers. This may be the longest step. I installed a program on my PC Android SDK | Android Developers . After installing that program you need to install certain packages. Open SDK manager. You will need to install at least some developer packages. I did all the automatically checked except I unchecked all in 4.1.2 and did check all in 4.0.3 since this device runs Ice Cream Sandwich. In extras you will see Google USB driver. This is what you actually need. I only installed the OS specific because I have done minor programing in windows and I might later want to learn developing for android. If downloading only the driver works reply so others don't have to wait long for the simple driver.

Now you have the driver but it isn't installed on your computer yet. Attach the tablet in debugging mode. It won't install. Go to device manger (click start, control panel, and find it in there which is different for OS's and user settings). You will find one as "Other" (I think under portable devices). Right click that and choose update driver software. Choose "browse my computer for driver software". Click browse and navigate to C:\Users\(you)\AppData\Local\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver. It will install as a phone device, which is fine. It is just the debugging driver for android devices but it is generic so it won't work with all batch files. It can be re-written for this device but having rewritten drivers manually, I don't recommend it.

2 You will need to root to fix the wifi issue. Because I chose not to re-write the driver, the previously mentioned root tool won't work. I used Android_Root_1.0 and got it here Download Android_Root_1.0.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way . It is easy to follow. If you somehow intalled a program to allow permissions for some apps before finding this, unistall them because this will install one and you only need one. When it needs to reboot it tells you to press any key to continue. I let it boot fully and slid the lock for all reboots except one. One time I doesn't fully reboot, just the edges slightly light up. This is supposed to happen, it's rewriting boot procedures. Wait a while on that reboot, but if you click early it will tell you the device wasn't detected and tell you to press any key again.

When it is done it the window will automatically close and you can proceed to the final step.

3 From what I've seen around the web, my issue was common. Sometimes when booting up, the wifi turns off. Trying to turn on will do nothing. Keep rebooting until it connects, usually 3 or 4 times (or just stays on if you haven't set up a connection yet, in which case, do it now) Already mentioned in this thread is wifixer. Install this ONLY when you are connected to the internet. It doesn't use the internet to install but I installed it when wifi wouldn't turn on and 7 reboots later it was still not connecting, I uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed, and now I have rebooted 6 times over the last 2 days and it connected every time.

Now you are done with my recommended steps. I see some of you want google play. With this rooted tablet you really don't need it unless you want to buy one that is only on that site. Use google apps to find the names of the apps you want then search the internet (or this forum) to find the apk file to download (usually named something like product.apk) and just install it directly on the device. I know slideme and getjar didn't have some of the news apps but I found them as direct downloads, some were even on the actual site. If you do feel you need for google play, go on this forum to rockchip section and search around.

I haven't tried booting this in flash mode yet. I know with rockchip you have to push in the reset button and hold down one of the six phsical buttons but I'm not sure which one for this mode. If anyone knows, please tell me, I may use it later if I decide I want to learn developing and I don't feel like experimenting.

Last edited:

honey9393

Oct 25, 2012
Loganone...Please help!! Your links are not helping me?!?!? Like Sabella, I need more specific instructions! THANKS!!