ProScan PLT8031 (RK2918) Help Please

lonewolfsc

Jan 8, 2013
I want to root my Proscan PLT8031 tablet. I have downloaded all kinds of things to do that. I just rooted my Galaxy S3. But, everything does not see may tablet plugged in. I have tried everything. I can not find the drivers for it.

Also, does anyone know how to Flash recovery this thing? I have a firmware update, but I can not find anything that will give me the key combs to boot into recovery.

Can anyone help me with this?

Many thanks.
Russ

Pennam

Oct 29, 2012
You shouldn't need any drivers to do the firmware update. On your windows computer unzip the update zip file. In the folder should be a disc image. Copy that to your tablet. The system will see the file and ask if you want to do the firmware update. Just follow the instructions. This will unroot if you are rooted so do it first.

If you still want to root the first 2 steps I gave should get you there. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/rockchip-rk2918-tablets/47312-please-help-me-2.html

lonewolfsc

Jan 8, 2013
Thank you. That worked for updating the firmware.

Now if I can figure out how to root it. I tried the first two steps, no luck so far.

Any suggestions?

lonewolfsc

Jan 8, 2013
System went blank and now wont boot up. Just have screen with a dim light around it. Trying to recover it, but no usb driver works. Device say undefined and shows "full" as the name type. I think if I had the right drivers, I might be able to recover.

Does anyone know a working usb driver for a Proscan PLT8031 with PK 2918. Tech support was no help.

vulcanize

Dec 28, 2011
System went blank and now wont boot up. Just have screen with a dim light around it. Trying to recover it, but no usb driver works. Device say undefined and shows "full" as the name type. I think if I had the right drivers, I might be able to recover.

Does anyone know a working usb driver for a Proscan PLT8031 with PK 2918. Tech support was no help.

Cross posting it again because I had same issues.

Click here for info on http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...sions/47059-proscan-tablets-4.html#post268556

Good luck :)

Last edited:

lonewolfsc

Jan 8, 2013
Yeap, Proscan Tablet. I have had no luck with finding a usb driver for it. Nothing seems to work. I have the firmware and everything. I even tried putting the update on sd card. Nothing happens. I am about to toss it or see how far i can skip it across the pond. ProScan Tablets suck and so does their support.

vulcanize

Dec 28, 2011
Yeap, Proscan Tablet. I have had no luck with finding a usb driver for it. Nothing seems to work. I have the firmware and everything. I even tried putting the update on sd card. Nothing happens. I am about to toss it or see how far i can skip it across the pond. ProScan Tablets suck and so does their support.

Instructions to install the driver for RK29 is explained in depth and it is rather simple.

Click here for info on details of Installing Rockchip drivers for flashing!

Additional help:

. Click Control Panel -->Hardware & Sound-->Device Manger-Other Devices-->
. Right click on Cube(maybe something else on your computer)-->
. Click Properties-->Driver-->Update Driver-->Browse My Computer for Driver Software-->Let me pick--Have Disk-->
. Browse to AMD64-->Win7 and click OK.
. Windows may complain, but go ahead and install it.

Possible problems may include:
. Windows already had wrong driver installed. If this is the case, go to Device Manager and delete anything that relates to Cube, RK Devices, ADB, . . . etc . . .
. Bad USB Cable. If this is the case, try another one.
. Bad USB port. If this is the case, try another port.
. Perhaps you need to enable USB Debugging on the tablet prior to connecting it to window.
. Perhaps you need to try another computer. My preference is to use a laptop. Why? Laptop has battery so power interruption won't interfere with files transfer and/or flashing.
. Perhaps you had the tablet in charging mode while connecting it to PC ?

The above two quotes
are very pertinent. Took me some time to figure it out and had used XP, Vista and Win7.

Have started a thread in xda for the Proscan PLT7035-B - if you wanna look it up just to get an idea.

Check it out and remember to use pertinent firmware for your model.

All the best.

Last edited:

jetdriver

Jan 27, 2013
ProScan PLT8031 firmware upgrade additional information

I just went around and around with this PLT 8031 firmware update. I finally realized it had to be in the root folder of the SD card. I previously had it buried in a sub-folder. Once I copied it directly to the SD card and not another folder, the system recognized immediately and asked if I wanted to install it. After I responded yet, it came up with "Recovery system 4.00,,,,finding update package,,,etc." and basically installed itself.

THE FOLLOWING IS FOR ANDROID 2.2 USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I found it here and it at least gave me a good idea of how to proceed for us newbies. Craig Electronics Inc..
I hope this helps someone.
You guys are GREAT. Thanks much.

[FONT=&amp]Android 2.2Firmware Installation Guide[/FONT]
Please follow installation procedures as below to update your Tablet.

Items needed:
-Micro SD card
- Tablet USB cord
-Tablet wall adapter/charger

1. Log onto our websiteat (www.craigelectronics.com)type the model number of your unit in the product search bar.

2. The Search Resultwindow will appear please click on (Details) this will prompt you to theProduct window.

3. Product window scrolldown to Android 2.2 and select (Download) the File Download window will appear.

4. Please select (Save)at the (save in bar) please select the arrow key and save file in (Desktop)Recommended.

5. Once firmware is on the desktop of computer or laptopunzip file (right click select extract here) you must have WINRAR or any othercompressing utility which can decompress RAR file. Once you extract it, lookfor “update.img” filename inside the folder created.

6. Connect your tablet with USB cord to PC or laptop with SD card inserted inthe tablet. On [COLOR=#698803 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#698803 !important][FONT=inherit !important]the [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#698803 !important][FONT=inherit !important]tablet[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] you will need to go to” Setting [/COLOR]à USB mode” and uncheck “host mode”the screen will change saying “(USB storage in use) Turn on USB”.

7. Go to My Computer, under (Devices with Removable Storage) you will seeyour 2 new removable storage; they will be the tablet’s internal memory and SDcard. Open oneof the removable storage; if you see “android_secure”, “external_sd”, ”LOST.DIR”,`you are in the internal memory. DO NOT TOUCH THIS FOLDER BACK OUT TODevices with Removable Storage.

8. Selectand Right click Removable Disk () or SD card and select format (by formattingthe SD card you will be erasing everything on the SD card) before clickingSTART make sure that Quick Format is unchecked.

9. OnceSD card is formatted you will have to go to desktop open the folder cmp738_firm ware2.2 and right click to copy update.img file and paste into formatted SDcard.

10. Select (turn off USB Storage) fromthe tablet. Plug tablet to wall Charger/adapter. NOTE: Leaving the USB cord; it will help to provide more power to the table during the firmware upgrade process.

11. Unmount SD Card by going back tosetting and selecting SD card & device storage from Tablet. Once SD card isUnmount turn OFF tablet and back ON.

12. When the tablet is ON and in thedesktop page insert the SD card into the tablet and a pop up window withmessage “Firmware Updating” will appear in the screen
[FONT=&amp]
C:\DOCUME~1\xxx\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_im  age002.jpg
[/FONT]

13. Tap the “Install” button on the screen to start.

14. Wait until the unit finished automatically. Itneeds approximate 5 minutes. Before you remove MicroSD card, go to setting and “Unmount” it so that you can use firmware again ifyou so require.

15. Now, it is finished.
[FONT=&amp]NOTE: During firmware update the unit must be plugged into walloutlet charger/adapter; otherwise, firmware will be “corrupted” if losebattery power during updating.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]IMPORTANT: [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Firmware update/reinstallwill wipe out any software or information installed to unit after initialstartup[/FONT]

Last edited:

jetdriver

Jan 27, 2013
ProScan PLT8031 charging issues

Does anyone know if the ProScan PLT 8031 is supposed to accept a charge via the mini-usb input? Mine does not and
I have a suspicion none of them do. Also, has anyone found an aftermarket charger for this as I would like to have a spare.
Thanks

vulcanize

Dec 28, 2011
ProScan PLT8031 charging issues

Does anyone know if the ProScan PLT 8031 is supposed to accept a charge via the mini-usb input? Mine does not and
I have a suspicion none of them do. Also, has anyone found an aftermarket charger for this as I would like to have a spare.
Thanks

Nopes. The Proscan tablets do not get charged by USB port.
I have not bought any after market chargers for it because the chargers for my Coby MID 7012 tablet and JXD mp3 player seems to be interchangeable and fit fine with the Proscan tablet.

You can try Amazon Amazon.com: Skque Wall Charger for Coby Kryos 7-Inch MID7012: Computers & Accessories for the same.
:)