Please Help or It's Going in the GARBAGE

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I got my Coby Tablet (7015) and I am frustrated. I got it calibrated, updated appslib, downloaded a file manager. However I can't root the thing because the update from Coby won't work! I watched the video THREE TIMES and followed everything to letter. I keep getting this:

assert failed:!lees_than_int(1290686740.getprop("ro.build .date.utc))
E.Error in/sd card/update.zip (Status 7) Installation aborted.

HELP!

ETA: I did some more research and it appears that means I already have the update? Under Settings, About Device, Firmware Version, it says 2.1-update1. Does that mean I'm okay to root now?

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I believe so

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Release Board (US) using Android Tablet Forum App

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
the kyros is shipped unsecured. btw, have you already installed clockworkmod recovery? if so, there's a modified update.zip in the Ultimate Guide thread.

if you read the "Coby Kyros ships rooted" thread and the Ultimate Guide thread, you'll see everything you need to know. The assert failed message appears to have something to do with the timezone the tablet is set to.

the update has to do with the build number, not the firmware. IIRC, the old build ends in -2 and the new ends in -3.

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the info. Raging Thunder works perfectly so I think I do have the latest update but I will double check. Thanks again. I was freaked out for a minute thinking I'd gotten a lemon! Everything else seems to be perfect-screen is responsive, WiFi connected right away and is strong and fast, so so far so good.

ETA: My build number is MID7015 1.6a20101129-1

It ends in a 1, not a 2 or a 3. And no, I haven't installed clockwork or done anything but set it up, download a file manager, and try to update the thing.

Last edited:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
the kyros is shipped unsecured. btw, have you already installed clockworkmod recovery? if so, there's a modified update.zip in the Ultimate Guide thread.

if you read the "Coby Kyros ships rooted" thread and the Ultimate Guide thread, you'll see everything you need to know.

I did read the "Coby Kyros ships rooted" thread but it was pure gibberish to me. I'm not stupid and I am tech savvy but I am new to Linux command structure. I did however understand the Ultimate Guide. Thanks!

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
interesting build number!
My update went from -2 to
MID7015 1.6a_20101124-3
If the date of the build happens to be 2010 11 24 then looks like 2010 11 29 would be newer. The big test was raging thunder and steering the car. build ...-3 fixed a bug with the g-sensor or something.
I downloaded update.zip from Coby again and compared. Its still the same as the one that updated me to -3.
I would say the pipeline now has product with a newer build than the update offered on the Coby website. The error seems to be to keep users from going backwards to an older release.

Sue7M3,
Did you get it rooted and Market installed or should we all be dumpster-diving in your neighborhood?

Last edited:

jegg

Dec 27, 2010
I just received a new Kyros yesterday (after having sent one back a month ago due to battery issues) and this one already includes the update:
firmware version: 2.1-update1
kernel version: 2.6.29 Root android 2.1
build number: MID7015 1.6a_20101124-3
I just hope this update was factory installed and I didn't get a refurb!...:eek:

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Yep! It's rooted, running Market, new homescreen through LauncherPro, email all set up-it's running great! Spare Parts and Task Killer are very useful. So far I have no complaints!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I just received a new Kyros yesterday (after having sent one back a month ago due to battery issues) and this one already includes the update:
firmware version: 2.1-update1
kernel version: 2.6.29 Root android 2.1
build number: MID7015 1.6a_20101124-3
I just hope this update was factory installed and I didn't get a refurb!...:eek:

I got my Kyros today, brand new from QVC and my build numner appears more recent than yours:

MID7015 1.6a20101129-1

Mine is 11/29, yours 11/24. I wonder if their are any real differences?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
who knows. btw, task killers are generally viewed as a Bad Thing with android. the reason is that android manages memory well on its own and doesn't need help killing tasks. :)

PCharron7

Jan 10, 2011
I just received a kryos trying to purchase a book but not sure how I can do this, any help would be appreciated