Rooting Trouble

mcdantas

Apr 13, 2011
Hi,

I've had problems rooting mine too because the new update before root.

I was following this tutorial: ALTERNATE (NEWBIE-FRIENDLY) GUIDE FOR ROOTING AND GOOGLE MARKET INSTALL ON WINDOWS - NO SPECIAL DRIVERS OR ADB COMMANDS NEEDED

Got stuck with recovery.img not found, then followed this to work it out:

Code:
[COLOR=black][B]To all of you having trouble with the [COLOR=blue]recovery.img[/COLOR] not found![/B]
[/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=red]This is what I did to solve it:[/COLOR]
We all got stuck here, right?

type [/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue]su[/COLOR] followed by a return
type [/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue]flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img[/COLOR] followed by a return

We  got totally stuck due to the fact the recovery.img file could not be  found, even though it had been copied to my sdcard as instructed. Then,  it took me a lot of reading and hours trying to figure out how to  install SDK tools on my PC and other stuff that got me even more  confused, as I never seemed to make anything work fine and was even  trying to crash and learn how to program (LOL poor me). Well, so here is  what I figured out and what did the job for me without even having to  understand all the complicated stuff people have been posting as if it  were second nature to everyone:

[COLOR=red]>[/COLOR] If  your device can’t find the file recovery.img it’s probably because  you’ve updated your firmware or your Kyros has already come with the  update and a file called flash_image is not present anymore in this  version. Do this (Mind you, I did not come up with any explanation – I’m  simply putting everything together in an easy walk-through so that you  newbies like me won’t have to read through a number of threads and then  try and make head or tail of all that stuff):

a) Do the same procedure described in the step-by-step instructions [COLOR=blue]PART 4: DOWNLOADING CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY AND THE "GOOGLE EXPERIENCE" PACKAGE [/COLOR]from [COLOR=blue]3[/COLOR] through [COLOR=blue]5[/COLOR] – that is, you’re simply going to get ready to copy one more file (see below) onto your microSD card as done before.

b) Get a copy of the original 7015 update ([/COLOR][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/8283-new-update-zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a-4.html"]click here[/URL][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]  and it will take you to a thread in another forum – I think you’ll have  to register, but it’s free – and scroll down to the last post on the  page, by [COLOR=red][B]l_n[/B][/COLOR], who has kindly uploaded the file. Use his link to download it). The file name is [B]kyros_original_update.zip[/B].

c)  Unzip it and open the folder system found in it. In system, open the  folder bin and find the file flash_image. Copy it onto the root of your  microSD card.

d) Follow steps [COLOR=blue]7[/COLOR] and [COLOR=blue]8[/COLOR] of the same [COLOR=blue]PART 4[/COLOR] of the instructions posted by Josh.

e) Now, back to your tablet, go to settings and use the [COLOR=blue]Terminal APP[/COLOR] again (you used it in [COLOR=blue]PART 5[/COLOR] and that is where we got stuck)

You’re back to where we encountered the problem of the missing file.
Do this:

type [COLOR=blue]su[/COLOR] followed by a return

(NOTE: Again, the prompt should change from a [COLOR=blue]$[/COLOR] to a [COLOR=blue]#[/COLOR]. This let's you know that you now are in root mode.)

Now type in [B]exactly [/B]this (please, mind all the spaces):

# [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=blue]cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image[/COLOR] [/FONT](PRESS RETURN)
# [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=blue]chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image[/COLOR][/FONT] (PRESS RETURN)
# [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=blue]chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image[/COLOR][/FONT] (PRESS RETURN)

Now, just go on typing in this:
# [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=blue]mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak[/COLOR][/FONT] (PRESS RETURN)
# [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=blue]flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img[/COLOR][/FONT] (PRESS RETURN)
# [FONT=Courier New][COLOR=blue]reboot recovery[/COLOR][/FONT] (PRESS RETURN)

That’s it. You can now go back to the alternate (newbie-friendly) guide: [COLOR=blue]PART 6: MAKING A BACKUP AND INSTALLING THE "GOOGLE EXPERIENCE"[/COLOR]
Worked for me. Hope it works for all having the same problem.[/COLOR]

kantmm

Oct 5, 2012
I have a coby kyros mid7015a and I have got terminal emulator and all that when I updated appslib it updated and at the end it said your device is not compatible with appsliband so i went on in the emulator i put in mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and it said failed on 'system/etc/install-recovery.sh'no such file or directory.so i went to the fix it one cp /sdcard/flash_image/system/bin/flash_image and it all went through until i got to reboot recovery went i reboot recovery it takes me to android system recovery instead of clockworkmod recovery.I have been searching for answers for a few weeks now and got no where can someone help please. thank you