price dfference between Archos 70 e 110 8gb. Why so low?

seamad

Nov 23, 2010
I cant understand why the 10 inches Archos 110 is only 30 US$ more expensive that the Archos 70 with the same memory. All the other specs seem to be the same.
Can anyone enlighten me?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Because, at their heart (Motherboard) they are the same thing. The Screen and Chassis are in reality the only difference. What it says to me is the difference in the 7inch capacitive screen and the 10.1 inch capacitive screen are only about $13-18USD in difference.

There probably per part is no other difference in cost for manufacture.

Now on the other hand, if you want to talk about profit. You should research how much an IPad really costs. Talk about profit when you get to the 32Gb units

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
I might be totaly wrong, but in my point of view, bigger means less high end technology.
Not that 101 is worst than 70 but since it's bigger, it can hold bigger pieces. If 2 batteries that hold the same amount of hours of use in different size, the smaller will cost more. Same for ram with same performance, for the motherboard with same performance, etc.
So with the difference between the cost of that and the cost of the bigger screen and case, it end up costing us, the consummers, $30 more.

What do you guys think?

seamad

Nov 23, 2010
Well, I do agree when it's about miniaturized component, but talking about a screen it should be different. The bigger the screen, the more discards they have at QA time.
May be I'm wrong but this is what happens with notebook screens...

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Well, I do agree when it's about miniaturized component, but talking about a screen it should be different. The bigger the screen, the more discards they have at QA time.
May be I'm wrong but this is what happens with notebook screens...

You hit my point exactly. I am comparing what I see when I opened two tablets back in September. There were only two differences, the circuit board and the Battery. The larger screens are powered up and examined for Pixel problems prior to install. There is an acceptable count for pixel dropout in Quality inspection. The pixel drop out problem used to be far worse for Notebooks and Netbooks. The screen creation process has improved, but is still not perfect.
If you know where to look on AliBaba, you can find the parts for almost every part in the tablet. The only problem is the sale is in lots not single units generally when discussing parts. That is also where I based my guess on cost.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I'm thinking both devices cost no more than $220 to manufacture.

7" screens are in high demand right now in China. 10" screens aren't.