[PRJ] apps2sd discussion

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Hi all I've just come across some possible issues with apps2sd.

I need to compile a busybox with the ability to run fsck for ext2 (the version of busybox supplied with titanium backup) doesn't support this.

fsck is basically a file system check, and if for some reason you have for force the tablet to reboot, we can get some issues with the file system.

I just had some major stability issues with my tablet, and when performing fsck on my ubuntu laptop. I noticed some file system issues with the "data" partition I've created.

I will try and find out if the built in fsck supports ext2, and if not. Until we have a version of busybox that has ext2 fsck support. I would suggest not to do this.

~Ivy

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
Have you check busybox 1.8 git version?...
It have fsck fsck.minix and fsck_msdos I don't know about file system suport.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Could explain my problems. Now I only move the apps directory. Much less issues.

Sent from my Ideos S7

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
So what issues are you guys facing? I haven't had any issues thus far and things are just humming along. Hope I just didn't jinx myself :)

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
On mine the S7 decided to reboot by itself, it restarted without the sdcard mount. Reboot again and then a lot of the apps were causing force close errors. Reinstall them from backup and everyhing is ok again.

Sent from my Ideos S7

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
pvella, that was the same issue I had over the weekend, when I took the sdcard and placed it in my ubuntu machine, did an fsck, and there were a lot of errors.

I'm probably going to try and work out what might be needed to do. Or another idea would be to use yaffs2 on the sdcard, not ext2.

but that might take a little bit of poking.

~Ivy

rictec

Jan 30, 2011
pvella, that was the same issue I had over the weekend, when I took the sdcard and placed it in my ubuntu machine, did an fsck, and there were a lot of errors.

I'm probably going to try and work out what might be needed to do. Or another idea would be to use yaffs2 on the sdcard, not ext2.

but that might take a little bit of poking.

~Ivy

i had this exact problem with a 8G card it was the card i replaced with a kingston and the problem was gonne.

the "bad" card doesn t like two partitions on it

Rictec

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
It works 90% of the time though. Also, I am having a lot less problems now that I have only moved the apps directory. If the device reboots without the sdcard, I just have to reboot with the sdcard. I lose some widgets, but generally everything works ok. Occassionally a program will lose permissions, but I can just restore the app+data from Titanium and I am back and running.

I guess the real issues are:

1) Why does the S7 sometimes reboot?
2) Why when it reboots, does the sdcard not come up?
3) I guess this might be because the sdcard has the "dirty" bit set in the superblock. Normal process would be to do an auto fschk on the sdcard as part of startup to clear the "dirty" bit or to do a clear "dirty" bit to allow the sdcard to mount.

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Over the weekend was the first time I had this happen. So, I'm going to do some more testing.

If I can modify this to use yaffs2 instead of ext2 we may be better off.

~Ivy

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
So it sounds like all of you have the non-US version that has the 8GB internal card.

With having the internal card (knock on wood) I have not been having any of these problems. My tablet was slow the first time I did this and reflashed the tablet and formated the internal card. I did the Apps2SD process before loading all my apps and it has been working just fine since then.

rictec

Jan 30, 2011
yaffs filesystem is for Flash memory and a sd card is not the some hardware but
i can be wrong.

as for the reboots can t you check /adb logcat and/or dmesg to see what was wrong?

i suspect the system memory have something to do with that reboot an auto-exit app may help there maybe.

for the people who need to know the available memory/storage on their devices use Android Status its on the Market and gives the Internal Storage total and free...and a lot more info

my device do have an internal card and its /dev/block/vold/179:17 thats cos there is only one partition on the external sdcard (sdhc class 4) i think and that number 17 will be up if more partitions are created on that external at boot not sure yet.

no one talks about it but i leave the info here my install of titanium backup has BusyBox v1.17.2 (2010-09-05 03:37:08 CDT) multi-call binary in it that is for someone to compare if they want to.

nice work people keep it up ;) i will try all this once i "learn" this device its on my hand for 24 hours.

Rictec

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I think we just have to add an fschk at boot and this should stop the problems. Are we certain that the partition gets unmounted at shutdown? Anyway, one we figure out how to do an fschk on the device itself, we should be able to fix this.

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
There is no fschk in busybox. I noticed that Jac's ROM and CYANOGEN both have fsck performed at boot. I found this link for e2fstools compiled for arm. e2fstools-bin_armel.zip.

Will test it when I get time.

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
Curious if any users with 2 cards are having similar issues.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Tapatalk

rictec

Jan 30, 2011
There is no fschk in busybox. I noticed that Jac's ROM and CYANOGEN both have fsck performed at boot. I found this link for e2fstools compiled for arm. e2fstools-bin_armel.zip.

Will test it when I get time.

you referring to this?

BusyBox v1.17.2 (2010-09-05 03:37:08 CDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: fsck [-ANPRTV] [-C FD] [-t FSTYPE] [FS_OPTS] [BLOCKDEV]...

Check and repair filesystems

Options:
-A Walk /etc/fstab and check all filesystems
-N Don't execute, just show what would be done
-P With -A, check filesystems in parallel
-R With -A, skip the root filesystem
-T Don't show title on startup
-V Verbose
-C n Write status information to specified filedescriptor
-t TYPE List of filesystem types to check