Problem with brand new Memo Pad 7 ME176CX

Jim_W

Apr 27, 2013
I just got my new Asus Memo pad 7 ME176CX-A1-BK yesterday. I charged it for 8 hours before turning it on. I turn it on and it boots up just fine and I set it up just fine. The first thing I do is check for firmware updates. There is one. It down loads and installs just fine. The machine turns off and turns back on just fine. I check for another firmware update. There is another one. This time, after the little android stomach stops turning, the screen goes blank - it is still turned on but at about half brightness. And then it just stays there. Four or five minuets go by and still nothing changes so I hold down the power button for 8 seconds. The screen goes black. I give the machine around a minute and push the power button again. Same blank, half bright screen.

I've tried a hard reset (pressing volume and power buttons at same time) but that just turns the half bright screen on and off. Is there any thing else I can try before returning my pad back to the store? Thank you. - Jim Williams

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you hold down the power button long enough it will restart. What you described as a hard reset is really only restarting and not much else. I suggest allowing it to sit for several hours then use the charging cable to plug it into a running PC for >5 hours then do a long press of the power again.

Jim_W

Apr 27, 2013
If you hold down the power button long enough it will restart. What you described as a hard reset is really only restarting and not much else. I suggest allowing it to sit for several hours then use the charging cable to plug it into a running PC for >5 hours then do a long press of the power again.
Thank you Leeshor. It has already sat for around 5 hours. I just plugged it into my laptop. Of course the half bright blank screen comes on when I plug it up. And so far it is staying on. I'll let charge for six hours while checking on it every now and then to see if the screen ever turns off. Now, when my >5 hours are up, do I do the long press while it is still plugged into my laptop. or should I unplug it first? Also, about how long is a long press? A couple of minutes? Thank you, Leeshor, for all of your help! - Jim Williams

Jim_W

Apr 27, 2013
****************************************************************************************************************
Hi Leeshor - I've tried this twice now and still can not get it to boot up. When I plug it into my laptop the screen flashes on and off at a rate of about 1 second on, 1 second off until around 5 hours. Then the screen goes black. I unplug the tablet at around 8 hours and try a long power press (about 4 seconds). The screen just stays black. I then try holding the power button down for about 2 minutes. Still nothing. Any other suggestions? - Jim Williams

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Sorry Jim but I'm out of options. A factory reset seems like the only way to go.

Jim_W

Apr 27, 2013
Sorry Jim but I'm out of options. A factory reset seems like the only way to go.

Leeshor - I've tried holding down both power and volume (up and down) buttons but nothing happens. Is there a different way to do a factory reset for the ME176CX? - Jim Williams

Jim_W

Apr 27, 2013

Thank you. Leeshor and Jeffery. I tried everything that I read on the transformer forums but still could not get my new Memo Pad to boot. I took it back to the store this afternoon and they gave me a new replacement. I'll charge that one tonight and see if I have any better luck with this one. Thank you both for you help. Jim Williams

Jim_W

Apr 27, 2013

Thank you. Leeshor and Jeffery. I tried everything that I read on the transformer forums but still could not get my new Memo Pad to boot. I took it back to the store this afternoon and they gave me a new replacement. I'll charge that one tonight and see if I have any better luck with this one. Thank you both for you help. Jim Williams
**************************************************************************************************
Well, I've had lot better luck with this Memo Pad. All the system updates went fine and I have loaded all of my aviation apps on it and everything seems to be working fine. I do have a question, though. Out of the box the 'Quick Setting' menu had a button for 'Location' and another button for 'GPS'. (On /Off buttons) After loading and running my aviation navigation app, the 'GPS' button is gone. The GPS is now turned on and off by the 'Location' button. Can anybody please tell me how to get the 'GPS' button back on the 'Quick Setting menu? I would like to turn my GPS on and leave 'Location' turned off. In fact, I will remove the 'Location' button after I ever get the GPS button back. As far as I am concern, Google can take their 'Location Service' and shove it. Thank you - Jim Williams