Problems with Adobe Reader

Dec 17, 2010
I subscribe to the Orange County Register's online version. It's big, the PDF files are about 180mb. I attempted to use Adobe Reader and it is extremely slow. It can take a couple minutes to switch pages. Most of the time it will hang and I'll get an error box asking if I want to force close or wait.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance? Should I switch to another PDF reader?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Are you using the Adobe PDF Reader from the market? Other versions don't work as well. If you are already using that then yes the best option is to use other readers which many would suggest even if Adobe was fast enough for you.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I subscribe to the Orange County Register's online version. It's big, the PDF files are about 180mb. I attempted to use Adobe Reader and it is extremely slow. It can take a couple minutes to switch pages. Most of the time it will hang and I'll get an error box asking if I want to force close or wait.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance? Should I switch to another PDF reader?

For the record Adobe finds another 'critical' flaw in Flash, Steve Jobs smiles smugly -- Engadget

Switch to another PDF reader or alternately convert with calibre - E-book management it is a must have application fo rNC owners who wish to view convert multiple file formats.

If you have subscriptions pdf/rss etc it will automagically convert them. With Dropbox in concert with any of the epub readers you can access them anywhere or have them exported to a synced folder. Takes a bit to set it up but once you do it's pretty much the shiznit.

Here is a primer for Calibre Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

Here are some Dropbox tips The Cleverest Ways To Use Dropbox That You’re Not Using | Lifehacker Australia

And here is a step by step for backing up all that data efficiently Thursday Tips & Tricks ~ Backing Up Your Books « Kindle Talk « KindleVixen.com

Also works a dream with the Kindle app(TeeHee) Just set your Kindle content folder to the same folder as the Calibre output and make sure both of them are in Dropbox,

Bob's yer Uncle.....

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I think you should try EZpdf reader. Haven't tried it - but it's cheap - and the Youtube video looks like it's a keeper.

If you D/L it - and like it - post a review for us here on Nook Color. If I had the device right now - I'd do it myself. I'm still navel gazing - hoping Ebay has another Sale pm Nook Colors for $50 bucks off so I can grab one on the cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2010
I think you should try EZpdf reader. Haven't tried it - but it's cheap - and the Youtube video looks like it's a keeper.

If you D/L it - and like it - post a review for us here on Nook Color. If I had the device right now - I'd do it myself. I'm still navel gazing - hoping Ebay has another Sale pm Nook Colors for $50 bucks off so I can grab one on the cheap.

Thanks for the tip. It's not perfect, but it's much faster than Adobe's. I'll post more when I have a few minutes to play with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

brensema

Apr 12, 2011
Hey. I bought a nook color to access my library of medical texts and I'm having a bear of a time getting exactly what I want. Right now I'm using adobe reader (free), quickoffice (the $14 HD version), easyPDF reader ($0.99), and Aldiko ($2.99). Many of my books are quite large (up over 100mb range like yours) and, although it takes a while to initially load with these programs, page turning isn't too big of an issue. I honestly think that the easyPDF reader is the best of the bunch - quickoffice was supposed to be able to highlight pdfs but I've yet to get this to work.

However, my big issue is that I have to read all my books from my SD card - when I load them onto my nook's HDD none of the programs can even find the books!! Perhaps some of you cats know how to do this?

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
However, my big issue is that I have to read all my books from my SD card - when I load them onto my nook's HDD none of the programs can even find the books!! Perhaps some of you cats know how to do this?

Are you using a uSD bootable ROM - or is your ROM on your eMMC?

brensema

Apr 12, 2011
Are you using a uSD bootable ROM - or is your ROM on your eMMC?
I'm not sure what the difference is between these - did a quick google search and I'm no less stupid on the matter...

Maybe a bit of history would help...
After rooting, I used my nook to reformat my SD card to remove all partitions so that I could utilize the entire 2GB. Then, I connected my nook to my computer and tried loading books onto both the SD card and the HDD on the nook. Thanks and I'll keep looking up this stuff when I'm not in class.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Candlestick just meant are you using a bootable micro sd card that allows you to run your OS by inserting the card and then powering on or have you put the OS on the internal memory (eMMC) so that you can get into the OS even if you don't have an SD card inserted.

Since you reformatted the card in the nook, you can't be booting from the card and must have flashed your ROM onto eMMC. There have been issues in the past where certain applications couldn't see the files either on the internal memory or the card at first but I think a couple of people here can let you know which readers can see what locations and how to direct them to the files you want.

chris30673

Feb 4, 2011
I will second the use of Calibre. I absolutely love it. Here is the link to the site again:

calibre - About

If you convert the books to epub, then you can host them on this site:

Sign in : Bookworm ePub reader

Right now they only allow you to upload the epub formatted books, but if you access the website on your nook, you can then download the books to your nook. I just use one of the file managers to move the book to the correct folder, and then you have them w/o plugging the nook up to the pc.

There is also a web based file converter that I use when I am in a hurry, it allows you to pick the nook color as a format.

http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-epub

Last edited:

brensema

Apr 12, 2011
Thanks for the explanation J515OP! You nailed it exactly as for my SD card situation.

Chris, I'm giving calibre a shot right now. Many of my books are OCR text scans of textbooks with tons of images so hopefully calibre works for me. Thanks all!

fnzCat

Dec 10, 2010
For anyone wanting to try ezPDF Reader.....
ezPDF Reader is Today's free app of the day in the Amazon appstore for Android.

fnzCat

Tigagreen

Feb 22, 2011
For anyone wanting to try ezPDF Reader.....
ezPDF Reader is Today's free app of the day in the Amazon appstore for Android.

Great! :rolleyes: I just spent my last $0.99 on ezPDF yesterday.

I need to learn to be patient in financial times like these...

Dec 17, 2010
Thanks for the tip. It's not perfect, but it's much faster than Adobe's. I'll post more when I have a few minutes to play with it.

It's better, but not much. I just downloaded a much smaller magazine and got similar results. The lag between pages is HORRIBLE. Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

The PDF files are stored on a class 4 Micro SD card. Could that be the problem? Is Class 4 too slow?

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
It's better, but not much. I just downloaded a much smaller magazine and got similar results. The lag between pages is HORRIBLE. Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

The PDF files are stored on a class 4 Micro SD card. Could that be the problem? Is Class 4 too slow?

Preface - I don't own the device yet - but reading alot.

I've read a few threads about app speed on XDA, and speed has been affected by one of many of these

1) Class of uSD
2) Brand of uSD regardless of stated Class
3) EMMC vs uSD

If you have a Sandisk / or a faster Class RAM - may be worth a try. The Transcend 8 GB Class 6 - seems to be popular @ XDA- and it's pretty cheap for an 8 GB card for 16.99 @ Newegg. Also could try and see how much free space is on your SD card.

Regardless of device / or PC - I've found when my storage starts to get full - things start to slow down. I had to delete a large file from my current reader last weekend - to keep the device from creeping at a turtle pace. Works fine now.