Problems with WiFi/DHCP

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
Wow.

Okay, so I thought I had fixed my WiFi issues by running WEP at home. How wrong I was...

Decided to fiddle with the WPA2 issue again to see if I could fix it, and noticed that I'm having the same problem on my WEP router as I am on my WPA2 router - every time my LePan connects to the router, it gets a new IP address from DHCP (so the listing looks like 192.168.100.101, 192.168.100.102... all the way up to 192.168.100.168 now!). The reason why I didn't notice it before is because the router I have running WPA2 on it, I have set to only keep an extra IP address available (I limit it to 101-107, since I have 6 WiFi devices running at maximum at once). The WEP router would allow 101-255 I guess!

If I try to set a static IP address on the router, the tablet ignores it.

From my Google adventures, this seems to be a common issue on Android 2.2 devices, but no fixes seem to be available. If I set a static IP address on the tablet, it shows that it is connected but I get no internet access - just a signal. I tried changing the hostname to "LePan" using Terminal, but that just made it grab yet another IP address from the router...

This is very frustrating, as I can see that any time I visit a WiFi point too many times, I'm going to lose the ability to connect to it sooner or later because I'm going to exhaust the IP addresses it's willing to give out.

Any help? I don't want to just fix the issue for my home router - I want the tablet to be able to pick up the same IP address if necessary!

I'm seeing this behaviour with two different routers - one running WEP, one running WPA2. On every connection, it will not use the previous IP address assigned, whether I have set it on the router as a static lease or not. It will always try and get a new IP address on every connection... if there aren't any IP addresses left that haven't been used or assigned, it loops on "Obtaining IP address...". If I set WiFi to use 'Static IP' on the tablet, it connects and get an IP address, but does not access the internet at all, just the local network.

See video:

I should add that my phone (HTC Liberty) which is running a 2.2 ROM works fine with my router and an assigned IP address, as does my netbook running Windows 7, and my Dell printer with WiFi.

This is a widely reported issue it seems with Android 2.2 devices, from what I can tell. Samsung Galaxy tabs have the issue, and apparently Princeton University BANNED Android devices from connecting to their WiFi network because of it back in April. There has to be a tablet-side fix to this I can't seem to find yet...

Last edited by a moderator:

ashrobbinsss

Jan 2, 2012
I have the same exact problem on my mother's tablet "Le Pan". If you did manage to fix it, can you please help me and describe how you fixed it? Thank you!

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
I can confirm that my fix works, but also that the newest firmware fixes the issue as well.

tritonx

Jan 16, 2012
I've just set up my airport extreme network. Le Pan 970 sees it, I enter password and then it says disabled. Won't connect. What was the fix that got OP connected? As subject line says, if an upgrade of firmware solves the connection problem, how do I connect to internet for upgrade without....you see the problem.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
I've just set up my airport extreme network. Le Pan 970 sees it, I enter password and then it says disabled. Won't connect. What was the fix that got OP connected? As subject line says, if an upgrade of firmware solves the connection problem, how do I connect to internet for upgrade without....you see the problem.

The update for the TC970 is done by downloading the files to your sd card and then following the install procedure they have posted. Use your computer to download the files, put them on the sd card and then you can update.

Latest Firmware for LePan TC 970 Tablet Computer
Also, 1., make sure you are entering the correct password. if it is wrong it will bump you off just like that, 2. the tablet does not work well with wep security. use wpa2.

Last edited:

tritonx

Jan 16, 2012
Yes,it was a fumbled password. I'm connected with WPA2. I've downloaded the firmware file and insruction PDF, but haven't upgraded yet because it says it deletes apps Does it really delete the apps that came already loaded or just the ones I d/l'ed since I got the Le Pan? /

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
Yes,it was a fumbled password. I'm connected with WPA2. I've downloaded the firmware file and insruction PDF, but haven't upgraded yet because it says it deletes apps Does it really delete the apps that came already loaded or just the ones I d/l'ed since I got the Le Pan? /

Technically both, but you can load the pre-loaded apps again (they are in the zip file). You could also use Titanium Backup, if you are rooted.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
get Astro file manager. you can back up all your apps to your sd card. after the update and reinstalling the le pan app. re install astro and restore all your other apps. you will have to re enter all you wi fi settings, accounts and passwords.

tritonx

Jan 16, 2012
I managed to lose this thread and just re-found it. Man, it sounds complicated for a non tech user. Thanks for the info though. I'll pick my way through the process, though right now the tablet is working fine, even Skype which flashes when I first make a call, but settles down in about 20 sec and then works pretty well. Resolution is not great, but sometimes it can be poor on my laptop as well.

gfinockio

Dec 8, 2011
I managed to lose this thread and just re-found it. Man, it sounds complicated for a non tech user. Thanks for the info though. I'll pick my way through the process, though right now the tablet is working fine, even Skype which flashes when I first make a call, but settles down in about 20 sec and then works pretty well. Resolution is not great, but sometimes it can be poor on my laptop as well.

You need to flash the new firmware to solve problems, including with Skype.