Professional Drawing Apps

Tymogr

Nov 5, 2010
So I'm considering picking up an Android tablet this Christmas. I was also considering picking up a digitizer, a tablet used for drawing on your computer.

Does anyone know of an app for Android tablets that will allow me to do this? Like, semi professional work, not just finger painting haha. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

synaptyc

Sep 22, 2010
I would be interested in a good Finger Painting app =) My kids love that stuff =)

>:)|_]=

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
I tried connecting two Wacom drawing tablets (Intuos & Intuos 3) to my Android device and neither were recognized, not even for "mouse mode." The only decent drawing app I've found so far is "Maple Paint" - which works quite well on a resistive screen tablet using a stylus for precision drawing.

Tymogr

Nov 5, 2010
I tried connecting two Wacom drawing tablets (Intuos & Intuos 3) to my Android device and neither were recognized, not even for "mouse mode." The only decent drawing app I've found so far is "Maple Paint" - which works quite well on a resistive screen tablet using a stylus for precision drawing.

Excellent! I'll look into it.

GmanQuik

Jan 17, 2011
did you buy a tablet for drawing? Im looking at getting a 10" tablet for drawing and painting, seen people painting on their ipads

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@GmanQuik -

For doodling and playing around a tablet is ok, but if you mean SERIOUS drawing and painting then an Android tablet is probably not the way to go. Nor would an iPad, unless you like finger painting.

For serious drawing and painting you'd have to use professional software like Photoshop, Illustrator, or Painter (or, on a budget: GIMP, Inkscape, and ArtRage), with a tablet or convertible running Windows 7. Last summer I came very close to buying a HP Touchsmart tm2 convertible because its capacitive, multi-touch screen is actually made by Wacom (similar to their Cintiq tablet line). If you look around you can find these for under $800.

There's also a cool option for Macs (cool but VERY expensive) where you can have an Apple Macbook converted into a tablet computer with a Wacom Penabled digitizer. Price is $1850 ($900 if you already own a donor Macbook).

Last edited:

GmanQuik

Jan 17, 2011
thanks for the advice, only thing is I don't like drawing on a tablet and seeing it on screen, I like to draw as if I'am drawing straight on paper, think I need to win lotto and get some cool kit thanks

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Is a stylus required? If yes, I think the best resistive Android tablet on the market is the Creative ZiiO. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think you can run Autodesk Sketchbook on that.

If you are serious about drawing, get a real Wacom tablet with pressure sensitivity. I have the Thinkpad X200T. I got mine used for $700. Android is no where near as good right now.

HP makes very good Wacom tablets as long as they are not with AMD CPUs.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
If I had the money to spare right now I'd probably be dropping it on the HP Touchsmart tm2 I mentioned. Intel Core i5 cpu, multi-touch capacitive screen, an actual keyboard when you need it, pressure sensitive stylus, ability to run Adobe Creative Suite programs - in short, pretty sweet setup for the money (and a great replacement for my now ancient HP Pavilion laptop). My Android tablet is nice as a replacement for casual laptop use like web browsing, dashing off an email, or a time-waster game as I sit in a waiting room - but I don't foresee a near future when I won't also need a laptop (or desktop) to get some actual work done.

ozzmeister00

Jan 23, 2011
Heyo,

I'm looking into getting an Android tablet, and one of the determining factors is the availability and utility of high-end drawing and painting applications like Inspire Pro, Sketchbook Pro, and Adobe Ideas.

Does anyone know of any they could recommend and have had experience with? Or, better yet, does anyone know if the above are available on the android marketplace?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I didn't see any of those you mentioned in the market

Sent from my incredible using Android Tablet Forum

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Autodesk Sketchbook is in the market. There's a free version as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Yes, Autodesk Sketchbook is the best drawing app I've seen for Android so far. It's what Photoshop Mobile *should* have been.