PROJECT: Reviving a Hard Bricked Kyros

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Guys

I own a MPMAN 827, which is a Coby Kyros MID8027, very similar to a MID 8024, however it has a capacitive ts and only 3 soft buttons.

You may look it up (the MID 8027) at Amazon.de (Germany) or the MPMAN at pixmania.pt

Trying to use the ROM Evolution for the herotab M8 (why I did that is long story) I bricked the tab. It is exactly in the same state has the bricked ones mentioned here.

I tried several times between yesterday and today to follow the procedure mentioned herewith. Can't seem to be able to short the 7&8 pins or if I'm doing it correctly, nothing happens.

Anyone willing to help/give a shot/convey an ideia?

I've seen the photos. My tabs architecture is exactly the same as the 7024. After all, it is very much a 8024.

Thank you in advance.

schuman

Mar 14, 2011
Hi Guys! I did the procedure on my Coby Kyros MID1024, I think I'm about to resurrect him, because before when I connect it, just flashed the side buttons. Now after the procedure done in this forum Thurs,when I turn it, the screen is all white and the side buttons remain connected. Anyone could help, any tips? Thank you and sorry for my English!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Hi Guys! I did the procedure on my Coby Kyros MID1024, I think I'm about to resurrect him, because before when I connect it, just flashed the side buttons. Now after the procedure done in this forum Thurs,when I turn it, the screen is all white and the side buttons remain connected. Anyone could help, any tips? Thank you and sorry for my English!

It's expected because the resurrection firmware doesn't have the correct drivers for MID1024's screen. Now download the official firmware from Coby USA website if you haven't done it yet and flash it: copy the files to the card, put the card in the tablet, turn it on holding the rounded silver button and wait until it turns off completely. Don't hold the power button for too long or the unit will turn itself off, let it go after a few seconds the tablet is on.

Yagami_ex

Sep 8, 2011
It's expected because the resurrection firmware doesn't have the correct drivers for MID1024's screen. Now download the official firmware from Coby USA website if you haven't done it yet and flash it: copy the files to the card, put the card in the tablet, turn it on holding the rounded silver button and wait until it turns off completely. Don't hold the power button for too long or the unit will turn itself off, let it go after a few seconds the tablet is on.

I holded the buttons too long, and bricked my tablet, what i do to revive my tablet?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I holded the buttons too long, and bricked my tablet, what i do to revive my tablet?

What tablet do you have? If it has a resistive screen, then following arlic's procedure once is enough. You may need to open your tablet and short NAND pins 7 & 8 for it to start up. If your tablet is a MID1024 (capacitive screen), then you need to follow the procedure once, fully format your microSD in FAT32 and use stock firmware from Coby's website or one of the CFW from another thread.

Be aware that it seems that there are two versions of boards (7025 and 7024 for MID7024, for example) and the OFW may not work for all of tablets (it's yet unknow how to tell what board is used without opening the device). Also, your hard brick may be due do a non-working NAND (you should be able to boot from a external microSD without shorting NAND pins), and OFW will brick it again because they don't have all the files needed for a full SD installation, so you will have to use a custom firmware for other tablet with the same spces (Herotab, Dropad, etc for resistive screens, no luck so far for MID1024).

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Can you post a pic of the internal board showing the smdkv210 module (the one with the Samsung CPU)?

$896_0569.JPG$896_0570.JPG$898_0571.JPG$898_0572.jpg

After trying too many times I think the 7th pin became twisted - second photo - I then managed to almost put it back in place - third photo.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
After trying too many times I think the 7th pin became twisted - second photo - I then managed to almost put it back in place - third photo.

Ugh, it looks bad... =(

You don't need to short the pins anymore once the tablet is no more hard-bricked. If it stays on after releasing the power button, you should be able to install any (compatible) ROM.

I don't see any chips related to the touch screen. Should be one next to the flat cable that comes from the touchpanel. If you can identify what model/brand is used, then you can try a cooked ROM for it.

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Tanx

Problem is, it does not stay on. I short fuse the 7&8 chip but it keeps turning off. Only the light from the soft keys turn on, and then off. Not the screen itself.

What do you mean by releasing the power button? Aren't we supposed to do a normal recovery mode boot? In my tablet that is done holding the volume + together with the power button until - normally it was like this - the blue line of text regarding the flashing mode comes up.

I now have the original firmware.

SampNeves

Sep 30, 2011
Hey

I found an internal sd card of 4gb.

Is this any way useful? I believe it's the RAM, and we're trying to get into the ROM, right?

theNige

Oct 10, 2011
You're a lifesaver - worked perfectly just using winimage to put the u-boot on the external sdcard, then formatting and putting on the upgrade files from the cobyusa website. Then the silver button and start.. and it's alive! :)

Many thanks Mega.

I unbrick my hard briked mid7024 using part of the metho described in the tread reviving a dead tablet, there is instructions on page 7 to use the shareware program winimage to partition a external microsd with the "u-boot-SD.bin.mid703v3.mm" image, after this i uncompress the coby firmware update in the fat32 partition. Put the the card in the external slot and press home+power buttons and the proses begin. I cant gave more details because my English (i speak Spanish).

My specs:
Windows 7 64 bits
mid7024

[GUIDE] Revive your dead tablet - SlateDroid.com - Page 2

megalex

May 19, 2011
You're a lifesaver - worked perfectly just using winimage to put the u-boot on the external sdcard, then formatting and putting on the upgrade files from the cobyusa website. Then the silver button and start.. and it's alive! :)

Many thanks Mega.

Its good to know that this was usefully to you. One question, do you have to short circuit the pins like the others in this thread?

Sent from my UTV210 using Android Tablet Forum

theNige

Oct 10, 2011
No Megalex - didn't have to open the case at all. Maybe I was lucky, but we all need some of that.

Its good to know that this was usefully to you. One question, do you have to short circuit the pins like the others in this thread?

Sent from my UTV210 using Android Tablet Forum