Question re: Bootable - vs installed ROM?

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
My understanding is there are 2 types of ROM

1) Bootable ( which does not install on your Nook Color )

2) Flashing ROM to your advice - ( which you have to flash onto your device somehow - I'll pass that bridge when I'm interested in attempting this action )

My question is this

Is there any chance of my accidentally ( flashing ) installing a ROM onto my device by booting off a uSD card? Of is there some extra step that I would be a prompted to do - before any uSD card installs software onto Nook Color. I would like to eliminate the possibility of messing up the stock ROM - unknowingly if at all possible.

I'm gonna start with Nookie froyo - but I'd like to check out other ROM options that I can find via Bootable ROM.

Lastly

Besides the 2/15 "Nookie Froyo" - where can I find other bootable ROM's that I could try out?

Thanks

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
My question is this

Is there any chance of my accidentally ( flashing ) installing a ROM onto my device by booting off a uSD card? No, it's impossible. Of is there some extra step that I would be a prompted to do - before any uSD card installs software onto Nook Color. I would like to eliminate the possibility of messing up the stock ROM - unknowingly if at all possible.

I'm gonna start with Nookie froyo - but I'd like to check out other ROM options that I can find via Bootable ROM.

Lastly

Besides the 2/15 "Nookie Froyo" - where can I find other bootable ROM's that I could try out? There are bootable versions of many of the rom you can run on Nook Color. You can find there here in the Nook Color Technical section.

Thanks

See answers in red.
I prefer to install internally myself b/c it's much faster but there is nothing wrong with running bootable roms.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Thanks,

I've been reading quite a bit over the weekend on various blogs about Rooting / Clockwork Recovery / and ROM installs. Getting a bit more comfortable with the idea.

Would you happen to know if " addictivetips " is a reputable site? They've got some easy reading articles that breaks down android concepts pretty concisely.

I found this Link pretty informative.

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]

Before I rely on them for accurate info - I'd like a 2nd or 3rd opinion they are reliably legit.

I wasn't understanding what " CWR " was as I kept seeing the acronym as I read that through all these blogs. Makes sense to me after reading the article though.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Windows addon Web Of Trust (WOT) gives addictivetips.com an excellent rating, so I'd say it's safe.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011

wiineedmore

Apr 4, 2011
Hey Guys and Gals this is my first post. And I need help. lol. I have create a bootable micro sdcard 8gb class 6 for the Honeycomb preview 4. I believe. It worked fine and my device is not rooted.

The problem is I have decided to reformat the sd card and just root the device. My sd card now only reads 113Mb free with no files on it. How do I get the whole sd card back and make it not bootable?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hey Guys and Gals this is my first post. And I need help. lol. I have create a bootable micro sdcard 8gb class 6 for the Honeycomb preview 4. I believe. It worked fine and my device is not rooted.

The problem is I have decided to reformat the sd card and just root the device. My sd card now only reads 113Mb free with no files on it. How do I get the whole sd card back and make it not bootable?

Take the card out of the nook and boot into the normal nook OS. Once booted install the card. Then go to settings and format the SD card. This will set everyting back to normal plus install a few default nook files for you.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks,

I've been reading quite a bit over the weekend on various blogs about Rooting / Clockwork Recovery / and ROM installs. Getting a bit more comfortable with the idea.

Would you happen to know if " addictivetips " is a reputable site? They've got some easy reading articles that breaks down android concepts pretty concisely.

I found this Link pretty informative.

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide]

Before I rely on them for accurate info - I'd like a 2nd or 3rd opinion they are reliably legit.

I wasn't understanding what " CWR " was as I kept seeing the acronym as I read that through all these blogs. Makes sense to me after reading the article though.

Admittedly, I did not READ the whole article but I skimmed it fairly well and it reads like a VERY good write-up for GENERAL Clockwork usage. With that as a basis, read over the other articles here listed above about how CWR interacts with a Nook Color (cause that is the kicker - CWR is generic software that works well with many devices and each have some quircks to be aware of).

wiineedmore

Apr 4, 2011
Take the card out of the nook and boot into the normal nook OS. Once booted install the card. Then go to settings and format the SD card. This will set everyting back to normal plus install a few default nook files for you.

I went the long way and got it but, thank you. Also, awhile back I read somewhere that you shouldn't reformat from the nook itself.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I went the long way and got it but, thank you. Also, awhile back I read somewhere that you shouldn't reformat from the nook itself.

That was only for a specific ROM, which I don't recall now if that issues has been fixed with that ROM or not. Since you were booting off the SD card and still had a stock Nook to boot into you were free to format in the Nook. If you are rooting using autonooter you may also use the nook to format the card which is a handy little trick.

JP :)