questions regarding a slim, customized novel, and what apps to use

theopposite

Dec 27, 2010
I realize a lot of these questions may have popped up quite a bit, but please bear with me, and if there is a FAQ, wiki, or list somewhere I need to read, please direct me to it :)

This is a list of apps I use thus far:

Thinkfree office (for everything except pdf)
Documents to go (for pdf, it has better display options than TF
Android File Manager
Facebook for Android
Guitar Chordz
Note Everything (for painting in notes)
Android IRC
Android Drum Machine
Android IM+

Basically, to sum it up, I just want to get a customized, stripped down version of a tablet in my novel - I want to upgrade whatever I can (I think the only feasible thing is the internal storage), get a barebones setup and install only the apps that I want to use. Here is the more detailed stuff:

Hi!

I love this thing (white pandigital novel e reader) - hacked it yesterday directly after I got it, it really was very easy.

What I am wondering is, I wish to do these things at least relatively easy:

read books - large and small pdfs (would love to have options to zoom and its gotta be vertical. anyway to make em easier to read would be great), word documents, rtf, txt, epub, lit, any format really. I just need an icon on my home screen which would open up a file directory type thing, and I could browse and choose what I want off my sdcard. Nothing fancy.

I like adobe reader - however i dont know how to jump to certain pages... wonder if there are chapter capabilities... and bookmarking...

write notes easily and quickly and save them on the SD card

browse the web with the ability to turn certain things off like images, java, flash, etc - would love to be able to open mp3 files if not stream them

must have use of the orientation sensor for reading and browsing

dropbox app (already have this installed, an awesome app)

I'd love to be able to "write" notes into it with a stylus. Not even sure if anything like this is remotely possible, but it would be great for school. Something that took your notes, you could easily start new pages, and save them in a format that would render small enough sized files for what's needed in that case (not huge bitmaps or something)...

office type stuff is cool - like a calender, contacts manager, etc - however I want to sync this with what i already have. I dont care if it's gmail or outlook, I want to be able to sync.

It would be cool to be able to send MIDI messages from it over wifi

The biggest thing is, there is a lot of stuff on here I do not want - I would love to just strip this thing down to it's bare components of software and use it like a tablet, of course I would also hope to be able to go back to pandigital's stuff if i needed to via a firmware update.

I love my windows 7 pc's at home, and I am unfamiliar with how all this stuff works....

This sounds like a list of demands, i realize... hehe, but I would really like some help on how to do this - it's a great little device, and even tho it's not really fast, it does what i need it to do :)

Uninstalling apps - how can i do this?

Replacing internal storage - is there a "how to" ?

Last edited:

anhaux

Dec 15, 2010
Welcome to the Board, Had a few answers for the Novel for you, I have 2 of these units, Both flashed with the open android available on the pandigital website. The applications i have loaded on mine are

ireader :(reads txt,chm,pdb) rotation enabled, page flips like ipad, choice of book directory,note before opening a book be sure to uncheck full screen so u still have the menu at the top of the screen.
Beamreader: (adobe PDF) with bookmarks,zoom and search.
Youtubedownloader:
Dolphin Browser:
Slideme market:
Documents to go: (pay but worth it to open word excel and powerpoint)
Jewels; (bejeweled clone) free with ads at bottom
titanium backup: (free) only use it to clear caches in the event of problems.
3 (cubed-mp3 player)
z4root:
AKnotepad:
Coolreader: (reads epubs) Havent found one i actually like yet. Open to suggestion
Borders,Kobo BN, aldiko,issuu,laputa,Kindle: havent used any too many free books out there.
Boulders and diamonds: Boulderdash clone.

id like to see flash on it, perhaps firefox which has an epub plug in, and of course the ability to play wmv's and avi's the ones ive tried play with no sound.
currently the work arounds i use are calibre to convert books to pbd to read and anyconvert to put videos in a usable format. If anyone has any other tips or must have software please post them.
thanks

theopposite

Dec 27, 2010
Welcome to the Board, Had a few answers for the Novel for you, I have 2 of these units, Both flashed with the open android available on the pandigital website. The applications i have loaded on mine are

thank you very much for your welcome - I realize posts like this can come of annoying at times.
Beamreader: (adobe PDF) with bookmarks,zoom and search.

not sure what this does that documents to go doesnt do, I have documents to go and it rocks, thank you for that suggestion!

Youtubedownloader:

looks interesting, but without a file browser, not sure how i am supposed to watch the vids hehe (newb alert)

Dolphin Browser:

not sure what advantages this has over the normal browser, which seems to work fine...

Documents to go: (pay but worth it to open word excel and powerpoint)

this thing kicks ass, thanks!

titanium backup: (free) only use it to clear caches in the event of problems.

says the rom isnt "rooted" and i need busybox. Will try again after installing busybox.
AKnotepad:

doesnt seem to work well...

id like to see flash on it, perhaps firefox which has an epub plug in, and of course the ability to play wmv's and avi's the ones ive tried play with no sound.
currently the work arounds i use are calibre to convert books to pbd to read and anyconvert to put videos in a usable format. If anyone has any other tips or must have software please post them.
thanks

:) thank you for your suggestions!

theopposite

Dec 27, 2010
hmm, for some reason i can't find something to read the .rtf format. It seems documents to go cannot...

-thinkfree office can!

I am still wondering how to get a clean installation going... I would love to just clear everything off of this thing besides android OS

Last edited:

theopposite

Dec 27, 2010
*BUMP* updated list at top of working apps that I use!

I would also like a really slideshow program with auto-crop/resize so i can use this as a picture frame whilst charging

theopposite

Dec 27, 2010
ok, I installed the open platform thing from the pandigital site, and it's more lean and responsive. However I am missing some apps:

youtube
all google apps, and sync due to lack of market access. how to?