Rapid rotation = No screen for you.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The first time this happened I though it was something I did. This time, I know I didn't do anything unusual.

First time I was in maps, just a few days after the A700 arrived. This time I was in Google's Play Music app, listening to music.

Here's what happened: The tablet got rapidly rotated from landscape to portrait and back again a couple of times in quick succession.

(I was holding it by both edges in landscape, picked it up to look at some papers that were under it, rotated the screen to portrait in the process, then set the tablet back down, and the screen rotated to landscape again, repeated this about three times).

All of a sudden BLACK SCREEN.

But the black screen was only in the Music App. The status bar was still on, and I could switch to other apps, the home screen, the app drawer, and even launch new apps, all of them worked normally.

But every return to the Music player resulted in a black screen. I couldn't change the song, or even stop the music.
(Until I switched to the home screen, then a little miniature headphones appeared in the status bar which I could use to stop the music.)

Killed the app via settings, apps, restarted it, still the same black screen. The only thing that fixed it was rebooting the tablet.
And that was the only thing that fixed it last time.

Any body else seen an app just lose access the screen? Other apps keep working, but that app gets no screen output?

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I've not had that particular issue, but I have had a bit of screen flicker from random apps and games. It reminds me of playing old Playstation games where out of nowhere a polygon would vanish.

I think this is an issue with nothing being optimized for the resolution of the A700...That is the only thing I can imagine. That, and the A700's firmware is buggy as heck.

unstopabell

Jul 19, 2012
I am having the same issue. At first it was only in the Gmail app, but now it's in others like Pulse. When I try to swipe down (or across) to change screens / emails / stories, the screen will start flickering and the app becomes unusable. I tried to find somewhere to post a support ticket with Acer, but can't seem to find it. I'm about to return this bad boy and get a Nexus...

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I am having the same issue. At first it was only in the Gmail app, but now it's in others like Pulse. When I try to swipe down (or across) to change screens / emails / stories, the screen will start flickering and the app becomes unusable. I tried to find somewhere to post a support ticket with Acer, but can't seem to find it. I'm about to return this bad boy and get a Nexus...

Zoom way in with Google Earth when 3d buildings is turned on can cause this same flashing.
Since this didn't happen with the prior release of Google Earth I assumed it was a GE bug, not an acer thing, but I could be wrong.
Turning off 3D buildings seems to help.

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I experienced the screen flash a bit, but since switching to Apex Launcher, I've not had that. I've still not had a blanked out screen issue. If you've got this issue, avoid the app PipClock. :) One of the features is a "nuclear explosion" when you rotate and shake enough.