Recognizing/Installing Hardware

AVJAYCEMOMMY

Jun 27, 2012
I HAVE AN iRULU TABLET AND SINCE IT WAS CHEAP I AM SO FAR SATISIFIED W/ IT....MY QUESTION IS...I WANTED TO ATTACH IT TO MY HP SCANNER TO GET SOME DOCUMENTS ON TABLET SO I COULD GET RID OF LOTS OF PAPERS....I HAVE PLUGGED IT UP VIA USB BUT IT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE IT...IS THERE AN APP THAT I NEED TO DOWN LOAD OR IS IT JUST NOT GOING TO RECOGNIZE THE HARDWARE?????

THANKS
SHANNON

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Repeat after me Android is not a Microsoft or Mac OS X system. There is not the same logic and availability of drivers or packages like there are on PCs or Macs. So unless the Scanner Manufacturer designs an App to make their Scanner compatible, you will not be able to use a scanner in the way you describe. This is identical to the issue of printing from a tablet. This is compounded by the fact inexpensive tablets usually have even less compatibility capability than say an ASUS or higher end tablets. Sorry

BTW: All caps in a post like this usually indicates you are either very angry or yelling. Just so you know.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There is an app on the Google Store called CamScanner that will allow you to scan the papers directly to your tablet and save them as PDF files. Be sure to have a copy somewhere, like cloud storage, just in case something goes wrong with the tablet.

TerriB

Sep 9, 2013
:confused:
I just got my irulu 4.2 tablet and this is my first time dealing with anything other than desktop and non smart phone. I am very good with computers but this is a brave new world for me. Got wifi to work using my Comcast router so thought I was good to go. Installed one app from google play wishlist and got all excited but after that apps won't install probably because of signal strength and it was driving me nuts and drained the tablet battery. I thought LETS MAKE THIS SIMPLE so lets install the tablet as a drive on the pc and drag and drop the apps. Seems simple enough but NOT.

Windows has a list of devices to install and I selected Android but it could not find a driver and of course I have no software to load for the Irulu.

So to try another SIMPLE method I thought why not load the tablet sd card into my HP printer and drag the apps to it and put card in tablet and download them. I dragged the app from my wish list to the sd card but all it does it drag the shortcut and not the app. Can't find apps as downloadable to such as ad card anywhere in google play. I wish there was a download button in google play in addition to install ...thats all I would need. I know you can't install/use an Android app on a pc but all I want to do is load it onto an sd card or tablet (as a drive).

Am I really asking too much to have the tablet show as a drive on the pc and/or why can't I just move these apps from computer> sd card> tablet . I have googled myself silly but nothing I have found has resolved the problem. I thought for sure google play store help would tell me but NOT.

I am sure someone on here can help me and thanks in advance. I really don't care at this point which method to use if it would work. I just want a way to get the apps onto the tablet without the wifi method....grrrr and argh

Terri

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Am I really asking too much to have the tablet show as a drive on the pc and/or why can't I just move these apps from computer> sd card> tablet. I have googled myself silly but nothing I have found has resolved the problem. I thought for sure google play store help would tell me but NOT.

Apparently gurgle was right about the higher end tablets having better support. I recently plugged my new Nexus 7 32GB (2nd Gen) into my laptop via the charger/USB cable and got searching for drivers and your device is ready to use messages within 5 seconds. It was even named Nexus in the device list on my laptop. I was then able to copy about 500 MP3s from the laptop to the tablet in a couple of minutes.

The reason you couldn't copy the apps from your computer to the SD card is they were never on your computer. All that's in your wish list is shortcuts. You need to get the .APK file for the app into your computer and none of the markets will allow you to download the .APK to your computer, as you've already discovered. There's an old thread on the forum where you can request the apk for an app and someone who has it can respond by posting a link. You could try that, but it seems to be mostly requests and very few APKs. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-apps/6988-looking-app-req-post-app-apk-4.html

I'd recommend you install the Amazon Appstore and get your apps from there, almost all the apps I have on my tablets came from there. The complete instructions for adding the Appstore to your tablet are here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000626391&ref_=amb_link_363093842_2

Hope that helps, enjoy your tablet and the forum!

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
For Google Chrome users, an extension is available that allows the end user to download apps from the Google Play Store directly to the PC. Available at https://lekensteyn.nl/apk-downloader/, I use it myself to provide app updates to a custom ROM I have available on another site, by downloading the .APK files and replacing the old versions in the ROM with updated ones.

Just to make sure it's abundantly clear, you cannot download paid apps to your computer using this extension, possibly including ones you have purchased. Also, in order for the extension to work, you must have a device (smartphone or tablet) that can access the Play Store.

Last edited:

TerriB

Sep 9, 2013
Spider....Yep I got fed up with Google store and can use Amazon store to get apps with no errors and no problems BUT it doesn't have as many choices. I searched in G store for what I wanted and then went to Amazon but cannot find same ones especially for Android utilities. I really need a good file manager that is as close whats in Windows and user friendly and need something to stop apps from running at startup. Found startup auditor on G play but nothing like on Amazon. Suggestions?

Thanks

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011