Returning Tablets to Coby

Dec 12, 2011
For Christmas 2011 everyone in the family got tablets.
Dad got an Asus A500, the rest got Coby Kyros.
We have
Kyros 1125, 1126, 7124, 7012, 80XX, and 9742

The 1125 developed a display problem with digital lines across the screen and it would scroll constantly.
Factory reset did nothing.

1126 is working fine.

7124 developed an intermittent power-on problem. Sometimes it would, sometimes not.

7012 just has a battery problem. I ended up replacing that with 7042. I'll be donating the 7012 to my son's school.

80xx seems to be working fine.

9742 developed a backlight problem. As in no backlight. I could see the screen with a very bright flashlight shined onto
the screen, and did a factory reset, with no help.

I recently sent the 1125, 7124 and 9742 back to Coby (called and got info and had to send a bunch of other stuff, too)
and the package was received a week ago today. I called to day to see if there was a status yet and was told that it
would be 20 days from receiving before it was even in the system and would take 4-6 weeks to get my tablets back,
either repaired or replaced.

Huh? The first CR I spoke with said about 3 weeks turn around time. I even get to pay for the shipping both ways! Lucky me!
It cost me $75 total for shipping both ways to get this done. I'm very unhappy with Coby right now and would just like my
money back. $606.34 (without shipping) so I could get a decent big name tablet with serious support.

I'm a little angry...anyone else have this type of story?

Ginny in Denver

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Interesting... On 17 July 2012 I returned a 8042 that was purchased new as a gift (to me) on 30 June 2012 and received a replacement on 8 Aug 2012.

The replacement tablet works well. However, when I open up ...\About Tablet the information shows the tablet as "out of service" and no serial number is listed in the information.

If I have problems with this over the next year from the purchase date, I wonder how Coby is going to respond ???

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
All Android devices have a "configuration partition" which is supposed to contain the serial number as well as other things like the UUID and wireless MAC addresses. Coby generation 3 tablets are missing this data, which is why the tablet shows the service state is "Out of Service" and the serial number as "unknown". Asus Transformer Prime users are encountering this issue and some developers have created a tool called "Ratchet" which will create this data.

No such app exists for a Coby, so it would have to be created in order to add the serial number. Coby however places the serial number on the back of the tablet. If there are further issues, as long as that serial number is intact on the back you shouldn't have issues with warranty service.

Last edited:

henke

Aug 21, 2012
Can i use this for Kyros 1126 ?
If don't please tell where i can find here one rom that works great, because i intalled the bulldog rom mod and i didn't like it.

Thanks guys!

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
henke said:
Can i use this for Kyros 1126 ?
If don't please tell where i can find here one rom that works great, because i intalled the bulldog rom mod and i didn't like it.

Thanks guys!

Wow, u paid that jackass for his rom? I hope you've learned a valuable lesson, don't pay for roms! You just paid him for stealing other peoples work. Tell him you want double your money back or your going to report him to your credit card company and the better business bureau.

Last edited:

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
imagesinthewind said:
For Christmas 2011 everyone in the family got tablets.
Dad got an Asus A500, the rest got Coby Kyros.
We have
Kyros 1125, 1126, 7124, 7012, 80XX, and 9742

The 1125 developed a display problem with digital lines across the screen and it would scroll constantly.

1126 is working fine.

7124 developed an intermittent power-on problem. Sometimes it would, sometimes not.

7012 just has a battery problem. I ended up replacing that with 7042. I'll be donating the 7012 to my son's school.

80xx seems to be working fine.

9742 developed a backlight problem. As in no backlight. I could see the screen with a very bright flashlight shined onto
the screen, and did a factory reset, with no help.

I recently sent the 1125, 7124 and 9742 back to Coby (called and got info and had to send a bunch of other stuff, too)
and the package was received a week ago today. I called to day to see if there was a status yet and was told that it
would be 20 days from receiving before it was even in the system and would take 4-6 weeks to get my tablets back,
either repaired or replaced.

Huh? The first CR I spoke with said about 3 weeks turn around time. I even get to pay for the shipping both ways! Lucky me!
It cost me $75 total for shipping both ways to get this done. I'm very unhappy with Coby right now and would just like my
money back. $606.34 (without shipping) so I could get a decent big name tablet with serious support.

I'm a little angry...anyone else have this type of story?

Ginny in Denver

Wll as the saying goes you get what you pay for, these things are made so cheaply that i can see a tiny hair in the display from one of the sweat shop workers who put it together (sadly not joking, luckly through repeated vibration it sank to the bottom) As with all products designed in china you shouldl always expect lowest quality possible. As for Coby itself, from stereos, mp3 players,, to tablets its always cheap and with problems. The only reason I buy these cheap pos tablets is because I know im going to break the screen eventually and id rather $90 shatter then $260.

WVUTampaAlum

Oct 6, 2011
Cheap tablets are not worth the hassle or money saved. I have been through it.
Got a free 7012 kryos last year. Hated the resistive screen and sold it on Craigslist.
Got 7022. Battery life was absolute crap and large silver orb button no longer clicked and had problems in less then 30 days of owning.
Picked up transformer 101 on black Friday for myself and wife. The hardware is light years above the Coby stuff. Not a single issue for myself or wife (hardware) there were few software issues upgrading from hc to ics ..... all resolved now.
I also toy with wifes old original Motorola Droid which again is light years ahead hardware wise then coby. .... and sadly it is physically older then coby.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If it's your first tablet or you want a cheap tablet as a "beater", they're great. But budget tablets imported from China and tablets from low-end companies like Coby will eventually become extinct in the United States as prices move ever downward. Lenovo already has a 9.7" tablet that is being positioned at about the same price as a 9742 with a dual-core processor, better cameras and included Google Apps. Google has the Nexus 7 at $199 and it stands to reason that they will include a 9.7" or 10.1" tablet in the future at a similar price point.

I honestly could have shot my roommate for not spending the additional money to get Asus tablets instead of the Coby tablets. Don't get me wrong. I've been mostly satisfied with the Coby tablets because I don't play graphics intensive games on the device. But the Asus units with (at minimum) dual core processors would have been better, especially for me as I use Google Earth a fair amount. Both the single core CPU and Mali GPU in the Coby tablets hamstring performance on Google Earth. Tiles take a long time to download and the guided tours included in Google Earth 7 are essentially useless because the system doesn't have the horsepower to render the graphics quickly.