[ROM] 2010/11/30 Firmware for haipad m701-r

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
Just an FYI I flashed Clockwork Recovery and charged to full, reset battery stats and am letting it drain to calibrate the battery (a little dirty android trick I learned from XDA)...I unplugged it at 4:45pm and it's 10:36pm right now and it is still on...about 45 minutes or so ago it reported 10% battery life, and I've had WiFi turned on for 3 hours and still going...think I found the secret to long battery life out of this little tablet!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Flashed my tablet this morning. I like not having to set LCD Density to get the screen to a more "tablet friendly" size and not having an SD card getting filled up with junk temp files! That was worth the update right there.

The actual update process, though, leaves something to be desired. The (broken English) instructions with the firmware release don't have correct info on how to get into "Update Mode." Following their instructions you end up in "Safe Mode." The magic combination was:
1. turn slide switch on side to off
2. plug in USB cable
3. Hold down left side of rocker switch (the "Power/End" button) while sliding the switch to "On"
4. Quickly also press the right side of the rocker switch ("Menu" button) while STILL holding the left side down too and also hold down the "Back" button on the front (so all three buttons at once).
5. Hold for about 30 seconds, it should hold on the "Christmas" boot image (if it goes to the next boot screen you didn't do it fast enough or weren't holding down all the buttons at the same time)
6. On Windows 32-bit computer if it does't detect the tablet you need to use "Device Manager" to "Scan for New Hardware" at which point it will find the tablet. Let it go through the whole "Found new hardware. . ." stuff until it says your new hardware is ready to use BEFORE trying to flash it.

Once I got to that point it went smoothly, except for two additional errors in the instructions:
1. Where it says to make your options look like the picture, you can leave the "Serial" at zero
2. Where it says to enter a "D:\haina\haina\. . ." path, that's only an example. It has to be the actual path to the ".fai" file you downloaded.

Once I rebooted into the new firmware I had to sign in with my Google account again, click and hold on a text input field until it brought up the "text input" dialog and tell it to use "Android Keyboard" (which got rid of the one with Chinese characters on it and gave me an English one), reinstalled my apps from Market, connected via ADB and re-rooted my tablet, and then re-removed the Google Maps app so I could update it properly.

All in all, though, pretty painless (except for the synchronized button pushing to get into Update Mode in the first place).

BTW, is there a Telechips VTC driver available for Win7 64-bit? This flashing took a while because I had to use my old laptop (only thing I have with 32-bit Windows on it) and it only has USB 1.1 ports. Would be so much nicer to do this over USB 2.0. Also, has anyone tried flashing from the virtualized Windows XP Pro (which I believe is 32-bit regardless of the host's) that you can download for Windows 7 Pro? I have that set up, but I didn't want to risk bricking my tablet if it wasn't going to work.

ServerKing

Oct 25, 2010
there is a win 7 64 drivers i forwarded to the guy who has the faq on how to fix the anroid market issue :)

clorox

Dec 23, 2010
I've been looking around for an answer with not luck. I flashed my m701, got to the Xmas screen. Everything went well until the CRC check of the img file. Doesn't seem to matter where I get the firmware from it always fails at that point. Any suggestions? Something I'm doing wrong somewhere?

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Did you try a different USB port,
a different USB cable,
a differnet download manager,
a different packer to unpack the files,
a different antivirus program,
a different computer?

didjit86

Dec 25, 2010
Having the worst time getting the USB interface to work with FWDN. Any chance there is a way to do this in Linux or in Mac OS?

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
There is someone working on a Linux port of FWDN, but they don't even have a binary yet. :(

The VTC driver installer and FWDN application will run in WINE on Mac & Linux, but I couldn't get them to see the tablet. I assume that means the VTC driver is kernel level rather than user level (WINE doesn't support kernel-level drivers).

It's possible it would work from a Windows install inside VMware or VirtualBox, but that's probably less desirable than just using a native Windows install - which for now appears to be the only way to flash these tablets.

AsianSX

Dec 26, 2010
Hey guys Im new here and wanna try the new firmware but I cant get FWDN to load the 3 files. It keeps telling me Error not supported files? Any ideas?

Haipad M701R
Rooted

AsianSX

Dec 26, 2010
Hey guys, I figured it out. It turns out my folder structure was to complicated. Thanks anyway. Now is it just me or is the screen alot easier to use now. Its like the sensitivity is better and it responds faster.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Release Board (US) using Android Tablet Forum App

halebopp

Jan 14, 2011
I've been looking around for an answer with not luck. I flashed my m701, got to the Xmas screen. Everything went well until the CRC check of the img file. Doesn't seem to matter where I get the firmware from it always fails at that point. Any suggestions? Something I'm doing wrong somewhere?

I ran into the same problem with 2.2 . It appears to be for 2G not 4G so I just returned to the original.

Dec 30, 2010
Hoping this is the firmware update I have been waiting for since before Christmas. ????--www.haipad.net It's dated 2011/1/14 so it is the latest of hot sh!t I hope. This is the direct link: 20110111.rar| Haipad released a version I believe for their new m701 HY 4GB but this didn't work this could be for the 2GB version, if it is I will be over the moon because my poor little pad is just little more than a miniature game playing machine but for wifi and other online stuff I have been using very basic features whilst awaiting the firmware update. I will give you the heads up if it works. Mine is without the remote but what the heck, the worst it can surely do to the pad is load some extra unneeded software. I'm buzzing! Hope it works or I may just go on a pad smashing spree. Don't let me down haipad.

Dec 30, 2010
Well my firmware update failed so I am going to rip my pad to pieces now or maybe I'll wait one or two more days. Maybe another update will come soon.