- Nov 4, 2012
ANTI-HERO v1.7 by fuser-invent
--- Hybrid ROM Based on Official Stock 0308 Firmware and CM10 ---
NOTE: You should no longer need the comp zip or gsensor fix zip as this ROM is based on the newest stock firmware now.
What is this ROM?
This is the initial release, it works well on my Ainol Hero but may not work great on yours. If you'd like to share this ROM, please link back to this page so that people can easily get updates.
This is a totally stripped down version of the Official Stock 0128 Firmware and some elements of CM10. As of now this custom ROM can only be flashed if you have upgraded to the stock 0128 firmware. There are different g-sensors in different batches of the Ainol Hero, it is unclear so far how to determine the correct build.prop settings to get a fully functional g-sensor without personal experimentation. Unless you have the same batch Hero as I do, you will most likely need to change your build.prop settings to fix your g-sensor. I am collecting data so that I can hopefully make flashable zips in the future to automatically change your build.prop for you.
Here is my devices info:
Hero build number: 20130116
Build.prop Settings for G-Sensor:
ro.sf.gsensorposition=5 bma250.sf.gsensorposition=0 mma8452.sf.gsensorposition=5
Hero build number: 20121116
If your g-sensor does work try changing build prop line:
G-Sensor Calibration Problems
There is now a flashable zip for 1116 build Hero! It's only based on feedback from two users, so please leave a comment if you find different settings work for you. The zip can be found in the main folder.
Although I have provided a g-sensor fixing zip for some Hero's, a small hand-full of Hero users have needed alternative methods to change re-calibrate their g-sensors. Check the links in this post and the apk in this post. Both were submitted by maxmax316. Also LexaR has posted a BMA Calibration app found in this post.
This is not a direct port of my Crystal Clear ROM for the Ainol Crystal tablet but does contain a lot of the same elements. This is essentially a repack/kang/hybrid or whatever you want to call it. The core of ROM is the official firmware but I have baked in a lot of fixes/tweaks/mods.
I am not a real developer, just an amateur who learns very quickly. I used to know C++ pretty well about 14 years ago when I was a teenager but have subsequently forgotten almost all of it and I haven't done much coding since with the exception of some website maintenance. With that in mind and the fact that the purpose of this ROM is to keep things light and smooth and mostly bug free, know that I'm not going to add a lot of things back in that I've taken out. Christian Troy's CyanogenMod ports are great and probably have anything that you can't find in my ROM.
Thanks to Soulflier, Christian Troy and Fards for all their hard work and getting me started. I wouldn't have been able to make my edits and changes without looking at their work or using their scripts to sign/unpack/re-pack/decompile/compile stuff.
Thanks to tigger-gg for helping me learn how to make the compatibility zips, add extra languages and having someone to bounce ideas off of and just being an awesome person.
Thanks to pierwiastekz2 for the default wallpaper designs and working on a new default wallpaper and bootanimation for a future release.
Also thanks to everyone in the community who has found and posted fixes/mods/tweaks in the forums and have made a donation.
The current ANTI-HERO ROM team is:
If you'd like to join the team please send me a PM.
- fuser-invent - Development & Beta Testing
- ant-uk - Development & Beta Testing
- pierwiastekz2 - Graphic Design
I hope you end up enjoying the speed, usability and versatility of this ROM. Please take a minute to leave a comment or hit the thank you button and let me know how you like it.
Before you flash...
Please read everything and don't ask questions that are already answered in these posts unless you are absolutely stuck. Every question that is asked that is already answered here just takes more time away from actual firmware development and improving this ROM.
All the usually warnings about not being responsible for what you do with your device and what my ROM might do to your device apply.
- You must have already upgraded to the 0128 stock firmware to flash this ROM. Use the official 0128 stock firmware package and recovery to upgrade. DO NOT USE TWRP at this stage! Boot into stock 0128 and then shut down.
- Use the most recent UBIFS version TWRP recovery that Christian Troy made for the 0128 Hero firmware to flash the remaining Anti-Hero files. Anything Anti-Hero related that you flash must be flashed from this recovery or you will end up with a lot of problems because of the messed up way Ainol has been dealing with their bootloaders. Extract the "uImage_recovery" file and place it on your external SD card to boot into TWRP instead of the stock recovery.
- Flash the ANTI-HERO ROM package first.
- Flash the Compatibility zip second.
- Flash the Additional Apps package if you want to.
- There will be SD card switcher packages and other add-ons in the future.
- Reboot - The first boot can take a minute or two so be patient.
There is an extended flashing guide at the end of this post for newbies to the world of Android.
You can access the folder with all the ROM zips here.
I will be added mirrors soon thanks to mp4 and Android Tablet Firmware's website.
TWRP packages are located here. Thanks to Christian Troy for these. You want to use the one for the "Hero (0128 firmware)" and make sure you download the right one.
The Additional Apps Package is here.
Stock Recovery and Firmware is here. The recovery files are also inside the stock firmware zip files but I'm providing them separately in case you only need the recovery, so you don't need to download the whole firmware package.
Below are explanations of the zip files for the custom ANTI-HERO ROM.
The ROM package now also contains the Google Apps package.
As of now there is only the 0128 firmware package. You shouldn't need to flash any comp zip with v1.7 or newer.
SD Card Swap Zips
There will be SD card swap packages in the future. You can use your external card as your internal card or swap it back to normal. This replaces the vold.stab file that tells the tablet where to mount the sd cards.
Additional Apps Package
Installs to data/app for easy uninstall or market update. Some apps aren't on the market because they are modded or XDA editions.
Alternative fingerprints are now available. By default the ROM is seen by the Google Play Store as a Nexus 7 for market compatibility. You can go from "Nexus 7 -> SGS3" or "Nexus 7 -> SGT10.1" but you can't go from "SGS3 <-> SGT10.1" because the scripts use 'sed' code to replace specific build.prop lines.
Credit where credit is due
This ROM is rooted by SuperSU v1.25
Although this ROM does not actually contain any of the these packages, it does contain init.d scripting ideas from the following:
Flashing Instructions by ant-uk
How to get anti_hero on your Hero
- 1 - Download Ainol Hero 0128 Stock Firmware from the ROM’s official thread
- 2 - Format your 1-2GB micro SD card in FAT32. (I use SD Formatter with the option set to "FULL (Overwrite)" It takes around 5 minutes to complete and has even got a few of my old SD cards going again.) Here is the link if you want to use it: https://www.sdcard.o...ds/formatter_3/
- 3 - Extract the files and put them on the root of your micro SD card (not inside a folder) it should look like this:
- 4 - Insert micro SD card and boot your Hero into stock recovery by holding power and vol – for 3-7 seconds
- 5 - Wipe data/factory reset
- 6 - Wipe cache
- 7 - Wipe media partition
- 8 - Apply update from EXT and Flash ROM
- 9 - Wipe cache
- 10 - Wipe media partition
- 11 - Remove micro SD card
- 12 - Reboot – When the Hero loads to the home screen power off. If your coming from a custom ROM back to a stock ROM you may get a black screen or fuzzy android. If so hard reset by inserting a paperclip or pin into the mic hole and repeat steps 4-12 then continue with the guide.
- 13 - Boot your Hero into stock recovery by holding power and vol – for 3-7 seconds
- 14 - Wipe data/factory reset
- 15 - Wipe cache
- 16 - Wipe media partition
- 17 - Hard reset by inserting a paper clip or pin in the mic hole
- 18 - From the ROM’s official thread download the correct version of TWRP (22.214.171.124), the most recent version of anti_hero.zip and its comp_zip (plus additional_apps if you want them)
- 19 - Format your 1-2GB micro SD card in FAT32 or "QUICK" format if using SD Formatter
- 20 - Extract the uImage_recovery file from the TWRP-126.96.36.199 WinRAR archive you have just downloaded and place it in the root of your micro SD card then put the other zip files directly on to the root of your micro SD cards (no need to extract) it should look like this:
additional_apps (if you wanted them)
- 21 - Insert the micro SD card and boot your Hero into TWRP by holding power and vol – for 3-7 seconds
- 22 - Install/Flash - anti_hero_v1.5_signed + anti_hero_0128_compatibility_v1.3 + additional_apps (if you wanted them)
- 23 - Wipe cache/dalvik
- 24 - Reboot and enjoy anti_hero
This works for me, but our Heros are very finicky when it comes to flashing a ROM. If this works 100% for others please post back and let us know so it can hopefully be attached to fuser's opening post as a basic guide. If it doesn't work on your Hero it might be a different build ect. therefore steps might have amend notes so please post back with your experience we can expand the guide to include everyone. I need your feedback guys!
Hope this helps?
If If you install and enjoy this ROM, please consider a donation, even if it is small it will help!
I will use the donations to pay the monthly file hosting fees and other development costs.