Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
$gr2DVZy.jpg

ANTI-HERO v1.7 by fuser-invent
--- Hybrid ROM Based on Official Stock 0308 Firmware and CM10 ---

NOTE: You should no longer need the comp zip or gsensor fix zip as this ROM is based on the newest stock firmware now.

What is this ROM?

This is the initial release, it works well on my Ainol Hero but may not work great on yours. If you'd like to share this ROM, please link back to this page so that people can easily get updates.

This is a totally stripped down version of the Official Stock 0128 Firmware and some elements of CM10. As of now this custom ROM can only be flashed if you have upgraded to the stock 0128 firmware. There are different g-sensors in different batches of the Ainol Hero, it is unclear so far how to determine the correct build.prop settings to get a fully functional g-sensor without personal experimentation. Unless you have the same batch Hero as I do, you will most likely need to change your build.prop settings to fix your g-sensor. I am collecting data so that I can hopefully make flashable zips in the future to automatically change your build.prop for you.

Here is my devices info:

Hero build number: 20130116
G-Sensor: mma8452
Build.prop Settings for G-Sensor:
Code:
ro.sf.gsensorposition=5
bma250.sf.gsensorposition=0
mma8452.sf.gsensorposition=5

Hero build number: 20121116
If your g-sensor does work try changing build prop line:
Code:
[B]ro.sf.gsensorposition=5[/B]
to:
Code:
[B]ro.sf.gsensorposition=0[/B]

G-Sensor Calibration Problems

There is now a flashable zip for 1116 build Hero! It's only based on feedback from two users, so please leave a comment if you find different settings work for you. The zip can be found in the main folder.

Although I have provided a g-sensor fixing zip for some Hero's, a small hand-full of Hero users have needed alternative methods to change re-calibrate their g-sensors. Check the links in this post and the apk in this post. Both were submitted by maxmax316. Also LexaR has posted a BMA Calibration app found in this post.

-----

This is not a direct port of my Crystal Clear ROM for the Ainol Crystal tablet but does contain a lot of the same elements. This is essentially a repack/kang/hybrid or whatever you want to call it. The core of ROM is the official firmware but I have baked in a lot of fixes/tweaks/mods.

I am not a real developer, just an amateur who learns very quickly. I used to know C++ pretty well about 14 years ago when I was a teenager but have subsequently forgotten almost all of it and I haven't done much coding since with the exception of some website maintenance. With that in mind and the fact that the purpose of this ROM is to keep things light and smooth and mostly bug free, know that I'm not going to add a lot of things back in that I've taken out. Christian Troy's CyanogenMod ports are great and probably have anything that you can't find in my ROM.

Thank You

Thanks to Soulflier, Christian Troy and Fards for all their hard work and getting me started. I wouldn't have been able to make my edits and changes without looking at their work or using their scripts to sign/unpack/re-pack/decompile/compile stuff.

Thanks to tigger-gg for helping me learn how to make the compatibility zips, add extra languages and having someone to bounce ideas off of and just being an awesome person.

Thanks to pierwiastekz2 for the default wallpaper designs and working on a new default wallpaper and bootanimation for a future release.

Also thanks to everyone in the community who has found and posted fixes/mods/tweaks in the forums and have made a donation.

The current ANTI-HERO ROM team is:

If you'd like to join the team please send me a PM.

• fuser-invent - Development & Beta Testing
  • ant-uk - Development & Beta Testing
  • pierwiastekz2 - Graphic Design

I hope you end up enjoying the speed, usability and versatility of this ROM. Please take a minute to leave a comment or hit the thank you button and let me know how you like it.

Before you flash...

Please read everything and don't ask questions that are already answered in these posts unless you are absolutely stuck. Every question that is asked that is already answered here just takes more time away from actual firmware development and improving this ROM.

All the usually warnings about not being responsible for what you do with your device and what my ROM might do to your device apply.

• You must have already upgraded to the 0128 stock firmware to flash this ROM. Use the official 0128 stock firmware package and recovery to upgrade. DO NOT USE TWRP at this stage! Boot into stock 0128 and then shut down.
  • Use the most recent UBIFS version TWRP recovery that Christian Troy made for the 0128 Hero firmware to flash the remaining Anti-Hero files. Anything Anti-Hero related that you flash must be flashed from this recovery or you will end up with a lot of problems because of the messed up way Ainol has been dealing with their bootloaders. Extract the "uImage_recovery" file and place it on your external SD card to boot into TWRP instead of the stock recovery.
  • Flash the ANTI-HERO ROM package first.
  • Flash the Compatibility zip second.
  • Flash the Additional Apps package if you want to.
  • There will be SD card switcher packages and other add-ons in the future.
  • Reboot - The first boot can take a minute or two so be patient.

There is an extended flashing guide at the end of this post for newbies to the world of Android.

Download Links

You can access the folder with all the ROM zips here.

I will be added mirrors soon thanks to mp4 and Android Tablet Firmware's website.

TWRP packages are located here. Thanks to Christian Troy for these. You want to use the one for the "Hero (0128 firmware)" and make sure you download the right one.

The Additional Apps Package is here.

Stock Recovery and Firmware is here. The recovery files are also inside the stock firmware zip files but I'm providing them separately in case you only need the recovery, so you don't need to download the whole firmware package.

Below are explanations of the zip files for the custom ANTI-HERO ROM.

ANTI-HERO ROM

The ROM package now also contains the Google Apps package.

Compatibility Zips

As of now there is only the 0128 firmware package. You shouldn't need to flash any comp zip with v1.7 or newer.

SD Card Swap Zips

There will be SD card swap packages in the future. You can use your external card as your internal card or swap it back to normal. This replaces the vold.stab file that tells the tablet where to mount the sd cards.

Additional Apps Package

Installs to data/app for easy uninstall or market update. Some apps aren't on the market because they are modded or XDA editions.

Fingerprints

Alternative fingerprints are now available. By default the ROM is seen by the Google Play Store as a Nexus 7 for market compatibility. You can go from "Nexus 7 -> SGS3" or "Nexus 7 -> SGT10.1" but you can't go from "SGS3 <-> SGT10.1" because the scripts use 'sed' code to replace specific build.prop lines.

Credit where credit is due

This ROM is rooted by SuperSU v1.25

Although this ROM does not actually contain any of the these packages, it does contain init.d scripting ideas from the following:

Flashing Instructions by ant-uk

How to get anti_hero on your Hero

• 1 - Download Ainol Hero 0128 Stock Firmware from the ROM&#8217;s official thread
  • 2 - Format your 1-2GB micro SD card in FAT32. (I use SD Formatter with the option set to "FULL (Overwrite)" It takes around 5 minutes to complete and has even got a few of my old SD cards going again.) Here is the link if you want to use it: https://www.sdcard.o...ds/formatter_3/
  • 3 - Extract the files and put them on the root of your micro SD card (not inside a folder) it should look like this:

Novo1003-Hero-0128.zip
    aml_autoscript
    build.prop
    u-boot.bin
    uImage_recovery
  • 4 - Insert micro SD card and boot your Hero into stock recovery by holding power and vol &#8211; for 3-7 seconds
  • 5 - Wipe data/factory reset
  • 6 - Wipe cache
  • 7 - Wipe media partition
  • 8 - Apply update from EXT and Flash ROM
  • 9 - Wipe cache
  • 10 - Wipe media partition
  • 11 - Remove micro SD card
  • 12 - Reboot &#8211; When the Hero loads to the home screen power off. If your coming from a custom ROM back to a stock ROM you may get a black screen or fuzzy android. If so hard reset by inserting a paperclip or pin into the mic hole and repeat steps 4-12 then continue with the guide.
  • 13 - Boot your Hero into stock recovery by holding power and vol &#8211; for 3-7 seconds
  • 14 - Wipe data/factory reset
  • 15 - Wipe cache
  • 16 - Wipe media partition
  • 17 - Hard reset by inserting a paper clip or pin in the mic hole
  • 18 - From the ROM&#8217;s official thread download the correct version of TWRP (2.3.3.0), the most recent version of anti_hero.zip and its comp_zip (plus additional_apps if you want them)
  • 19 - Format your 1-2GB micro SD card in FAT32 or "QUICK" format if using SD Formatter
  • 20 - Extract the uImage_recovery file from the TWRP-2.3.3.0 WinRAR archive you have just downloaded and place it in the root of your micro SD card then put the other zip files directly on to the root of your micro SD cards (no need to extract) it should look like this:

uImage_recovery
    anti_hero_v1.5_signed
    anti_hero_0128_compatibility_v1.3
    additional_apps (if you wanted them)
  • 21 - Insert the micro SD card and boot your Hero into TWRP by holding power and vol &#8211; for 3-7 seconds
  • 22 - Install/Flash - anti_hero_v1.5_signed + anti_hero_0128_compatibility_v1.3 + additional_apps (if you wanted them)
  • 23 - Wipe cache/dalvik
  • 24 - Reboot and enjoy anti_hero

This works for me, but our Heros are very finicky when it comes to flashing a ROM. If this works 100% for others please post back and let us know so it can hopefully be attached to fuser's opening post as a basic guide. If it doesn't work on your Hero it might be a different build ect. therefore steps might have amend notes so please post back with your experience we can expand the guide to include everyone. I need your feedback guys!
Hope this helps?

If If you install and enjoy this ROM, please consider a donation, even if it is small it will help!
I will use the donations to pay the monthly file hosting fees and other development costs.

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Change Log

ANTI-HERO v1.7

• Changed default wallpaper and bootanimation
  • Modules might work now
  • Fixed some things that were causing transfers of large files to fail between the device and the computer as well as the external and internal sd card.
  • Removed a lot of stuff that just wasn't working
  • Cleaned up init.d scripts
  • Performance and speed is better.
ANTI-HERO v1.6
  • Added Extended Power Menu
  • CPU init.d scripts are back and working
  • Defaulted back to 3G / Ethernet / Data enabled
  • Removed 3G / Ethernet / Data enabler zip
  • Updated Additional Apps package
  • Improved some wifi issues
ANTI-HERO v1.5
  • Updated SuperSU root package.
  • Temporarily removed some init.d scripts until I have more time to test them on the Hero (similar tablet).
  • Minor changes to some tweaks/mods to fit the Hero better.
  • Minor changes to the build.prop
  • May or may not have fixed Wifi issues for some users. Let me know.
  • Removed some unused files
  • General performance boost
ANTI-HERO v1.4
  • Removed Tapatalk HD Beta from the additional apps package since it's now been officially released as a paid version in the app store. It's way better than the non-tablet version so check it out
  • Removed some other apps from the additional apps package that are now working fine when downloaded from the app store, so no need for special versions
  • Removed Titanium Backup from additional apps package because it was causing issues
  • Added Catlog app to additional apps package
  • Moved ROM Toolbox lite to data/app in the ROM package and added ES File Explorer as another root browser option
  • Rolled back Terminal app to a working version
  • Cleaned up a large amount of unused stuff in the ROM package.
  • Changed default settings on first start; haptic feedback off, display timeout set to 2 minutes instead of 1 minute, allow installation of apps from unknown sources, etc.
  • Revised Kernel and Dalvik VM init.d scripts. Better lag reduction and overall performance.
  • Added Network tweaks to init.d from RPEngine2.
  • Flashable zip to fix rotation on 1116 build Hero tablets.
ANTI-HERO v1.3 - Initial Release
  • Fixed Gameloft License Loops
  • Disabled all data except Wifi
  • Added additional languages/locales
  • Added bootanimation and defualt wallpaper
ANTI-HERO v1.2 - Private Beta
  • Fixed low volume on the microphone
  • Improve picture and video streaming quality
  • Added the Battery Percentage Mod
ANTI-HERO v1.1 - Private Beta
  • Added gapps package
  • Added Nexus 7 fingerprint
  • Clocked CPU to 1.2Ghz
ANTI-HERO v1.0 - Closed Beta
  • Initial deodexing and setup of 0128 firmware
  • Porting ROM to work with TWRP
  • Added Root
  • Created first Compatibility Zip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features and To-Do List - Blue is Completed

ANTI-HERO ROM - Based on 0128 firmware and CM10

Edits to the build.prop
  • Gameloft Compatibility for most games
  • Gameloft license loop fix for games like Asphalt 7
  • Screen Response and Sensitivity Tweaks
  • Performance Tweaks
  • Wifi Tweaks
  • Google Nexus 7 Fingerprint
  • Default United States, EST time zone and English
  • Hide Android Debug Icon and ADB enabled by default
  • Video & JPEG Quality Tweaks
  • Disable all data except wifi
Init.d Scripts
  • Performance2 Governor Tweaks
  • Battery Life Tweaks
  • Internal SD Card Speed Tweaks
  • Overall Performance Tweaks
Features
  • TWRP compatible
  • Compatibility patch for 0128 firmware
  • Rooted
  • Pre-Installed Light Google Apps Package
  • Removed Chinese and other unnecessary apps
  • Added In Terminal, Flash Player, YouTube, Skype and Netflix
  • Deodoxed Apps and Framework
  • Added init.d script support
  • Added data/app/ capability
  • Made typing on the keyboard not suck so bad
  • Improve scrolling and touch sensitivity
  • Set-up Wizard & Extended Language Packs
  • ZipAlign
  • Custom Boot Animation and Default Wallpaper - Thanks to pierwiastekz2 for the wallpaper!
  • Mic Volume Mod/Fix
  • Improved picture and video quality
  • Battery Percentage display
  • Additional Language Support
  • Internal <-> External SD card swap zips
  • Alternative fingerprint zip
  • Custom Settings
  • Extended Power Menu
Planned Features
  • Home button to shortpress Back, longpress Home
  • Auto-hide status bar
Future Development
  • Add Governer&#8217;s to Kernel

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
This space is reserved for photos and benchmarks.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Bug Reports

- All Ainol Hero tablets seem to have g-sensor problems. When I get more information I will compile the build.prop changes necessary to get a functional g-sensor. There are reports on various forums about what build.prop changes work for different tablets but I and others still don't seem to know how to identify what settings to use without experimentation.

Hero build number: 20121116
If your g-sensor does work try changing build prop line:
Code:
[B]ro.sf.gsensorposition=5[/B]
to:
Code:
[B]ro.sf.gsensorposition=0[/B]

User Requests

Submit your requests.

User Submitted Mods/Tweaks/Zips

- Any cool user submitted content will be posted here.

Some 3G Dongles Kill WiFi
-Thanks to gybemark for figuring this out.

When you plug in the dongle, it adds a row to the 'secure' table in /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db with:
Code:
name='wifi_country_code'
value='gb'
If you use sqlite3 to delete this row (which isn't there at all by default in my stock ROM) the Wifi works again.

Getting unsupported 3G Dongles to work

A lot of people have reported success with the PPP Widget app.

Directory Bind for Internal -> External SD Card
- Thanks to tigger-gg for the suggestion

Go to the official page on the XDA forums for more info.

Tigger-gg suggests the DirectoryBind_0.2.0k.apk

G-Sensor Calibration Problems

Although I have provided a g-sensor fixing zip for some Hero's, a small hand-full of Hero users have needed alternative methods to change re-calibrate their g-sensors. Check the links in this post and the apk in this post. Both were submitted by maxmax316. Also LexaR has posted a BMA Calibration app found in this post.

Last edited:

muttonhead

Feb 11, 2013
Bug Reports:

Actually a Non- Bug Report:
Got the Hero I on Friday. only 6 days after ordering from GeekBuying. Came with 1219, Upgraded to 0128 per that thread's instructions. Then did ANTI-Hero per Fuser instructions. It all went *extremely* well. Been stable for two days. No sleep problems. No rotation problems. Batt life over 8 hrs.(mixed use). Antutu 9500, EpicCitadel around 28fps (Not the most awesome ever, but I didn't buy it as the ultimate gaming box) Good if not excellent WiFi range. Excellent Play and Movie experiance.
Anyway just had to get registered here so I could say: Thanks!
Is there a donation link I've missed?
M
Now just gotta find a decent cover/case.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Hey muttonhead, thanks for the feedback!I added a donation link to the bottom of the first post. Here is that link directly. Thanks so much for considering a donation!

I ordered one of the Ainol Hero Cheese Brand cases but it hasn't come yet. I'll report back when I get it and take some pictures.

lowe_gule

Feb 19, 2013
I've installed this ROM yesterday, today, I mean this night, it frequently rebooting itself. Do you know why this happen.
I have 16GB external Micro SD and a lot of app. 347MB on internal storage and 1.5 gb on SD card, no appd installed in the 16 GB micro SD).
What I've done this morning is moving some apps (especially game) into the SD card, because the internal only has 1 GB size while the SD card has 16GB as you know.

I've tried scanning the hardware using AVG free app, no virus found. So, I think this is either app related or something else.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Hey lowe_gule, there are multiple reasons why this could happen. My first question would be, did you update to the 0128 stock firmware first before installing this ROM? Did you use the proper procedure for updating stock firmware; 3 wipes (data/factory reset / cache / media), install stock firmware, 3 wipes again, reboot?

It could potentially be an app related issue. Particularly if you were only a completely different ROM (aka, not stock 0128) and re-installed apps/data with a program like titanium backup. It could also be a rogue app that has a memory leak or something. You can use adb logcat to track what is going on with the device when it crashes and pinpoint if it is in fact a particular app that is crashing the device or if it is being caused by something else.

Another possibility is if you are trying to use a CPU control app like setCPU to change the frequency or governor. All of that is controlled by init.d scripts and using an app like that would conflict with the settings I've optimized. If you want to remove the init.d scripts you can. Just let me know and I'll describe how to either change them or remove them completely.

You really shouldn't be getting any reboots at all, I haven't gotten a single one since I loaded v1.3 of my ROM several weeks ago.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
ANTI-HERO v1.4 by fuser-invent
--- Hybrid ROM Based on Official Stock 0128 Firmware and CM10 ---

Change Log

ANTI-HERO v1.4
  • Removed Tapatalk HD Beta from the additional apps package since it's now been officially released as a paid version in the app store. It's way better than the non-tablet version so check it out
  • Removed some other apps from the additional apps package that are now working fine when downloaded from the app store, so no need for special versions
  • Removed Titanium Backup from additional apps package because it was causing issues
  • Added Catlog app to additional apps package
  • Moved ROM Toolbox lite to data/app in the ROM package and added ES File Explorer as another root browser option
  • Rolled back Terminal app to a working version
  • Cleaned up a large amount of unused stuff in the ROM package.
  • Changed default settings on first start; haptic feedback off, display timeout set to 2 minutes instead of 1 minute, allow installation of apps from unknown sources, etc.
  • Revised Kernel and Dalvik VM init.d scripts. Better lag reduction and overall performance.
  • Added Network tweaks to init.d from RPEngine2.
  • Flashable zip to fix rotation on 1116 build Hero tablets.

---------------------------------------------------------

Alternative fingerprints are now available. By default the ROM is seen by the Google Play Store as a Nexus 7 for market compatibility. You can go from "Nexus 7 -> SGS3" or "Nexus 7 -> SGT10.1" but you can't go from "SGS3 <-> SGT10.1" because the scripts use 'sed' code to replace specific build.prop lines.

Last edited:

lowe_gule

Feb 19, 2013
Reboot problem solved

" For any one facing reboots while idle, you need to disable all location services options. And reboot problem will be solved.

Strange but true."

Source:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/53538-rom-anti-hero-by-fuser-invent/page__st__60__p__609290#entry609290

I'm having problem with WIFI. I'm using 1.3 anti hero rom. Even when I set the wifi to keep ON when sleep to ALWAYS. It does nothing.
I've tried to change the build.prop into "ro.platform.has.sleeppolicy=false"
Unfortunately nothing is changed. The wifi is OFF when I turn off the screen. Please tell me what to do?

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Try hashing it out instead with a #. I think that should be the only change if the kernel actually supports wifi being always on (if wifi actually works that way on stock ROM). If it doesn't work that way on stock, then it won't work that way on mine. Wifi on the Crystal caused the device to never deep sleep, so it was disabled. I was under the impression all the tablets with this CPU had the same problem.

heroslayer

Oct 21, 2012
Reboot problem solved

" For any one facing reboots while idle, you need to disable all location services options. And reboot problem will be solved.

Strange but true."

Source:
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/53538-rom-anti-hero-by-fuser-invent/page__st__60__p__609290#entry609290

I'm having problem with WIFI. I'm using 1.3 anti hero rom. Even when I set the wifi to keep ON when sleep to ALWAYS. It does nothing.
I've tried to change the build.prop into "ro.platform.has.sleeppolicy=false"
Unfortunately nothing is changed. The wifi is OFF when I turn off the screen. Please tell me what to do?

Try CM10.1 it has good results

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
CM10.1 is a great ROM by Christian Troy and sort of "solves" the problem:

* WiFi now can stay enabled with display turned off. Note that if WiFi is enabled the tablet won't enter deep sleep so if you're more interestead in battery life instead of an always on WiFi change policy (on "Advanced" WiFi settings) from "Always" to "Never" and select your preferred WiFi timeout.

So yes, you can set Wifi to always be on but your tablet will never enter deep sleep, same as the Crystal and Fire and the reason why I disable that function and all data/3G functions. With the Crystal is was the difference between getting 5-6 hours battery on standby without deep sleep and 20+ hours on standby with deep sleep. I haven't measured the battery life of the Hero yet.

Upon further research, it is true that all Cortex A9 Tablets have this problem.

fredhead

Feb 27, 2013
Hi,

last Fridy i recieved my Hero 10. I have installed the Anti-Hero 1.4. Everything ist fine but sometimes when is start the stock browser the browser instantly crashes. When i use chrome or dolphin i have no problems but it seems that there is no flash support. Just in the stock browser. But the biggest problem is, when i try to use bluetooth tethering and pair the tablet with my galaxy s2 the tablet reboots. Has anyone the same problem? Is there a solution to fis this problem?

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
You'd have to grab a logcat of the stock browser crash. You can use pastebin.com and then post a link to it here. Try to pinpoint the location and errors for the crash instead of posting 20 pages of the logcat. The browser sometimes crashes for me if I have more than 8 tabs open but never has it instantly crashed, so I'm guessing there is something else going on there.

As for Bluetooth tethering, I know the stock ROM's don't support it, so neither does mine since its based off the stock ROM. There is a possibility one of Christian Troy's CM or PA builds might support it but you'll have to do some research there and see if its available.