How do you like this ROM?

• Love it, works well!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fredhead

Feb 27, 2013
Ok. What a mess. I just bought the Hero 10 I because of the bluetooth to have the tethering option when there is no wlan. I will test Christian Troy's Roms at the weekend and give a feedback if tethering works.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, a lot of things that are claimed to be working with devices like this don't actually work. HDMI out only works with some TV's and Monitors (of course not the ones I own), only some 3G dongles work, only some gamepads work, etc.

Christian Troy does some great work adding additional functionality to these kinds of tablets but he's also limited because they tend not to release the full source code. It's definitely worth a shot to try some of his ROM's though and see if you can get it working. If not there also might be an app out there that could help you out.

This ROM is based off the newest stock firmware, so other stock firmwares probably won't work for you but you could also try Feiyu ROM's if Christian Troy's don't work. A warning though, they change your partition layout which makes it really difficult to flash other ROM's after flashing a Feiyu ROM.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Anti-Hero v1.5 is uploading to the Anti-Hero Mediafire folder right now, don't forget to install the comp zip again after flashing the firmware as well. I'm sorry I don't have time to write up an official changelog but init.d scripts are fixed and tweaked more for the Hero, db260179 module fixes are added in and some other things that I forgot to write down and hopefully will remember :) Also with the CPU bump I just got an AnTuTu score of 9213.

Please let me know if anyone else besides db260179 is having issues with sleep mode. These tablets are sort of finicky, I haven't had any random reboots or issues of any kind so far with sleep or screen-off but that doesn't mean that you might not, so let me know. I pretty much only use this tablet to read comics, ebooks and surf the web on occasion.

EDIT: I think I know what db260179 was talking about. There appears to be a wifi bug where if the tablet tries to sleep it changes wifi to "always" instead of "never" and requires a reboot. I'm going to leave this v1.5 up for people to test if they want and I'll try and fix the wifi bug tomorrow and re-upload it, so keep an eye out.

EDIT2: Wifi issue is fixed and official anti-hero v1.5 is uploading to the mediafire folder right now. If you downloaded the preview, replace it with this one. v1.5 is a pretty big improvement over v1.4, so I would suggest the upgrade. Removed CPU scripts like db260179 and will re-incorporate them into v1.6 if I can get everything working solid.

Last edited:

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
Anti-Hero v1.5 is uploading to the Anti-Hero Mediafire folder right now, don't forget to install the comp zip again after flashing the firmware as well. I'm sorry I don't have time to write up an official changelog but init.d scripts are fixed and tweaked more for the Hero, db260179 module fixes are added in and some other things that I forgot to write down and hopefully will remember :) Also with the CPU bump I just got an AnTuTu score of 9213.

I had a perfectly happy tablet on CM10 so why don't I just leave things alone? :confused:

I tried flashing to v1.5 and now have a black screen again. I'm trying to repeat the process but the Ainol Hero Stock firmware 0128 zip file link is broken.

I think I might have inadvertently flashed the 0128 zip (that I downloaded a while ago from elsewhere) with stock recovery rather than TWRP - would this explain my current predicament?

Before I go through the pain of AML flash again, do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Update:
I can get into TWRP 2.3.3.0 but it fails on trying to flash my version of Novo1003-Hero-0128

Further update:
I have managed to go through the entire automated CM10 install process again, all of which works fine. However, the tablet fails to boot into anything and just black screens.

And the updates keep on coming... using the tried and tested Robert the Bruce method (i.e. just do it all again), it has now got into CM10.

Last update:
I have tried to do the v1.5 process and I've got into TWRP but it won't flash the 0128.zip (the link for the 0128 ROM in this thread is broken, so I don't know if the 0128 versions I have are incompatible).

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "g06ref1003AC" ||
getprop("ro.build.product") == "g06ref1003AC"
E:Error in /sdcard/Novo1003-Hero-0128.zip
(status 7)
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/Novo1003-Hero-0128.zip'

blah blah blah

Looking forward to a response (hopefully before I have to leave my superfast work environment and have to rely on my as-yet unfixed home connection before downloading >150Mb!)

(goes and gives self a good talking to...)

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
@ toweliechaos - Flashing in the wrong recovery can definitely cause problems, the official stock "Novo1003-Hero-0128" firmware should definitely not be flashed in TWRP. Also when flashing stock firmware from the stock recovery you have to follow the instructions carefully and use the double "3 wipes - 2 installs" method. That version of TWRP works for me but there is a new version out, I changed the link in the original post to go directly to Christian Troy's new TWRP thread. I also tested the Stock Firmware link and it works for me but it is available elsewhere if mediafire isn't working for you. The one you have should be okay to flash though but your package should have included the following:

• aml_autoscript
  • novo1003-Hero-0128.zip
  • u-boot.bin
  • uImage_recovery

It's totally necessary to flash it with those additional files on your SD card. I've also added a more detailed flashing guide by ant-uk to the original post for beginners. It seems to cover pretty much everything. Let me know if you have any additional problems, I'm happy to help.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
ANTI-HERO v1.5 by fuser-invent
--- Hybrid ROM Based on Official Stock 0128 Firmware and CM10 ---

Change Log

ANTI-HERO v1.5

• Updated SuperSU root package.
  • Temporarily removed some init.d scripts until I have more time to test them on the Hero (similar tablet).
  • Minor changes to some tweaks/mods to fit the Hero better.
  • Minor changes to the build.prop
  • May or may not have fixed Wifi issues for some users. Let me know.
  • Removed some unused files
  • General performance boost

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
@ toweliechaos - Flashing in the wrong recovery can definitely cause problems, the official stock "Novo1003-Hero-0128" firmware should definitely not be flashed in TWRP. I've also added a more detailed flashing guide by ant-uk to the original post for beginners. It seems to cover pretty much everything. Let me know if you have any additional problems, I'm happy to help.

Ah, it seems I misread the instructions. I thought I read it as you must use the TWRP to flash 0128. Anyway, problems all solved. I managed to flash 0128 using stock recovery and then from there, the anti-hero install went exactly to plan. I am now the proud and happy owner of an Ainol tablet running v1.5 and I am most impressed by it. This ROM is by far the best I've tried and now I can finally start using my tablet in earnest.

Many, many thanks to fuser-invent both for the tremendous amount of help and the kick-ass ROM! Small token of appreciation on its way...

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Well, thanks for the heads up on the confusion. I just re-ordered and re-worded it a bit. Can you glance at it and tell me if it is better. I'm talking about the short version you read and not ant-uk's new guide at the bottom of the post. Thanks for the thanks :) It is nice to wake up to!

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
Given that you seem to get a fair few non-native speakers of English and for clarity's sake, might I suggest:

You must have already upgraded to the 0128 stock firmware to flash this ROM. Use the official 0128 stock firmware package to upgrade and stock recovery - DO NOT USE TWRP at this stage! Boot into stock 0128 and then shut down.

Now use the TWRP 2.3.3.0 recovery (that Christian Troy made specifically for the 0128 firmware) to flash the remaining files. Anything Anti-Hero related that you flash must be flashed from this recovery or you will end up with a lot of problems because of the messed up way Ainol has been dealing with their bootloaders. Extract the "uImage_recovery" file and place it on your external SD card to boot into TWRP instead of the stock recovery.

This might just avoid any confusion about what recovery to use at what point. The guide is nice and simple and had I thought a bit more, I probably wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place!

As for the ROM, so far it has delivered great benchmarks, great battery life and the additional apps package is very handy - ROM Toolkit, Nova Launcher and the benchmark utilities are particularly useful to have. More's the point, I haven't had any issues yet! (well, the Winamp widget is a bit temperamental to say the least, but that's hardly the ROM's fault!)

Great stuff and many, many thanks.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions toweliechaos, I edited those instructions with your suggestions. I made a couple of changes, like saying "Use the most recent UBIFS version TWRP recovery that Christian Troy made for the 0128 Hero firmware to flash the remaining Anti-Hero files" instead because Christian Troy might update TWRP and as long as it is the UBIFS version with the 0128 Hero tag, then it is okay to use.

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
You're welcome!

I do appear to be having some issues though:

1. If I set the time to pick it up from the automatic option, it is anywhere from 5-30mins fast and if I manually set it, it still seems to find a way of being wrong again after an unspecified amount of time.
2. When recovering from sleep, wi-fi frequently says 'wi-fi turning off' and I have to reboot to resolve.
3. Wallpaper often reverts to the anti-hero image for no apparent reason.

If you need/want any more info, let me know (via PM if you'd prefer).

Thanks!

Last edited:

egleuterio

Mar 15, 2013
Hi Fuser,

The latest version (1.5) is great, very smooth, but I have a problem, after installing, system can´t mount the microSD and if I go to settings-->storage i have a FC of settings, any idea of how to fix it?

A lot of thanks for your work, is awesome!

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
@ toweliechaos - I've never seen or even heard of that time problem on any Android tablets, that's definitely weird. Wifi needs to be set to "never" in the advanced wifi settings. It should default to that setting when you install the ROM. Supposedly on v1.5 though you can set it to "always" and won't have to reboot when your tablet wakes up but it also won't stay on during sleep. There is a bug with the hardware, so it effects all Ainol tablets, if you want to keep wifi on during sleep you need to use an app like Wake Lock - PowerManager. I've also never heard of the wallpaper reverting randomly. Perhaps you need to try a re-flash of the ROM just to be sure. I usually don't need to double flash but maybe 1 out of 10 times I do.

@ egleuterio - Are you sure your SD card works? You can try the SD Formatter with the settings FULL (Overwrite) to reformat it. If that is not the problem you might have messed up your memory partitions somehow, you used the incorrect TWRP to flash the ROM or you didn't flash the correct stock firmware first. The first thing to try would be to re-flash the stock ROM using the double flash / double 3wipes method and make sure you use the stock recovery that comes with it.

• wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition + wipe media partition (so called 3Wipes)
  • apply zip from EXT - the 0128 firmware
  • 3Wipes
  • apply zip from EXT - the 0128 firmware
  • 3Wipes
  • Reboot

You can also sometimes fix the /emmc mounting problem with the CM10 4.1.2 Automated Install - Brick Free! method but doing this instead when flashing the files:

• 3 Wipes
  • Flash 1a.factoryromresets.zip
  • Reboot back into recovery
  • 3 Wipes
  • Flash 1a.factoryromresets.zip
  • 3 Wipes
  • 1b.cm-10-20121220-UNOFFICIAL-elf2DBs.zip
  • 2.gapps-jb-20121011-signed-ubifsDBs.zip
  • 3.cm10finalDBs.zip
  • Remove SD Card
  • 3 Wipes
  • Reboot

If that doesn't work you can try the AML USB Burning Tool method but its a huge pain and a lot of people can't get it to work. Lastly, if you have really seriously messed up the partitions in someway, all hope is not lost, see my post here. It's a fairly technical solution and requires that you do some research to learn what you are doing, but I've had to use it and can confirm it works in a worst case scenario type of situation.

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
@ toweliechaos - I've never seen or even heard of that time problem on any Android tablets, that's definitely weird. Wifi needs to be set to "never" in the advanced wifi settings. It should default to that setting when you install the ROM. Supposedly on v1.5 though you can set it to "always" and won't have to reboot when your tablet wakes up but it also won't stay on during sleep. There is a bug with the hardware, so it effects all Ainol tablets, if you want to keep wifi on during sleep you need to use an app like Wake Lock - PowerManager. I've also never heard of the wallpaper reverting randomly. Perhaps you need to try a re-flash of the ROM just to be sure. I usually don't need to double flash but maybe 1 out of 10 times I do.

I've turned off automatic time option and have gone back to manual and reverted wi-fi to 'never' just to see if this sorts it. How and why it is getting 20-30mins ahead of the network time is totally beyond me!

I only occasionally want wi-fi on during sleep e.g. downloading anything of any size so I'll download Wake-Lock and use accordingly.

I think the wallpaper issue is a by-product of the wi-fi policy issue. Assuming reverting to the standard setting solves that, then I guess the wallpaper will cease to be an issue too. I have subsequently bought Nova Launcher Prime and ROM Toolbox Pro as a result of you including them - you should try and get some commission off them!

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
I love both of those apps, they are incredible! I'm just happy those developers are being supported.

Another way to download large files is to set the screen timeout to 30 mins. That's usually enough time for me and that is how I do it.

The time thing is super weird. If it was an hour increment I would think it would be some time zone thing but 30 minutes? Weird.