How do you like this ROM?

• Love it, works well!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

egleuterio

Mar 15, 2013
I installed version 1.6 a few hours ago and everything went perfect, the rom maintains its strengths:

-Fluency.
-Simplicity.
-Excellent performance.

Thank you so much for your work, I admire you!

rudykiss

Mar 23, 2013
Sound like you got a rouge app and its probably leaking memory..
Uninstall the said app.
Reboot your tablet.

Have you updated to anti_hero_v1.6 yet? Its got some cool new features....

okay ... I'm downloading anti_hero_v1.6 now...:)
Did v1.6 need g-sensor patch?

ant_uk

Developer
Mar 22, 2013
okay ... I'm downloading anti_hero_v1.6 now...:)
Did v1.6 need g-sensor patch?

If your only updating your current version of anti_hero you can flash the ROM part only. So...
Boot your Hero into TWRP
Flash anti_hero v1.6
Wipe dalvik/cache
Reboot
At this point I should remind you that its always a good idea to back up your apps just incase something goes wrong!

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
I've just installed 1.6 over the top of 1.5, wiped dalvik/cache, rebooted and after the splash screen it showed 'optimising apps' and then 'Android is upgrading...' with 'Starting apps' and a spinning circle...

...and it's been doing this for about an hour!

Force shutdown and reflash?

Edit update: I just forced shutdown and reflashed; same issue - any ideas?

PS oh and hey! back to you ant-uk!

Last edited:

ant_uk

Developer
Mar 22, 2013
I've just installed 1.6 over the top of 1.5, wiped dalvik/cache, rebooted and after the splash screen it showed 'optimising apps' and then 'Android is upgrading...' with 'Starting apps' and a spinning circle...

...and it's been doing this for about an hour!

Force shutdown and reflash?

Edit update: I just forced shutdown and reflashed; same issue - any ideas?

PS oh and hey! back to you ant-uk!

'Android is upgrading' is nothing to worry about. It happens when the dalvik cache has been wiped. It can take quite a while to clear this screen if you've got loads of apps but there should be a progress report on screen as 'Android is upgrading' saying 8 of 29 apps or how ever may apps you've got. I don't think it would take a hour to complete though even if you had 500 apps!

This is where I hope you took note of backup you apps?!
To solve the problem do a clean install, which is step 13 - 23 of my flashing instructions in post #1. Just replace anti_hero_v1.5 with anti_hero_v1.6.

I don't know the cause of your problem as this over flashing technique works for many other users including myself.

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
'Android is upgrading' is nothing to worry about. It happens when the dalvik cache has been wiped. It can take quite a while to clear this screen if you've got loads of apps but there should be a progress report on screen as 'Android is upgrading' saying 8 of 29 apps or how ever may apps you've got. I don't think it would take a hour to complete though even if you had 500 apps!

This is where I hope you took note of backup you apps?!
To solve the problem do a clean install, which is step 13 - 23 of my flashing instructions in post #1. Just replace anti_hero_v1.5 with anti_hero_v1.6.

I don't know the cause of your problem as this over flashing technique works for many other users including myself.

Well it runs through the optimising apps bit and counts up fine, it's after that that it just says 'starting apps' and does nothing. Even more odd is that if I force shutdown from there and reboot, it goes to the wallpaper lock screen but won't let me input the screen pattern, so I am forced to turn off again.

I noticed when I flashed 1.6 that it says in the screen 'now flash compatibility zip' which I hadn't previously done. I subsequently did but it made no difference. I'm trying to refrain from doing a clean install as it feels excessive given the circumstances.

I'm pretty sure that it's OK as I've heard notification noises but I can't unlock the bloody screen to find out!

Update - I gave flashing 1.5 again a go and it's let me back in, so what the hell is the issue with 1.6?
Update - It let me back in to 1.5 but gave a black screen but I could still use notifications - ? A reboot put me back to unlock screen not responding to touch. If I could just get past the login screen, I'm sure everything would be fine.

Any ideas why it won't recognise any form of input for the screen unlock? I can see the live wallpaper, date and time, wi-fi status, battery status and notifications in the dock - I just can't unlock the pattern (it registers no response)!

I really don't want to have to clean install as I had not made a backup of anything, foolishly thinking that 1.6 over the top wouldn't be an issue...

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Hey toweliechaos, I'm sorry to hear all that mess is happening to you. So it sounds like your only option is to do a clean install if you went back and tried to flash v1.5 and it didn't work. However, I just want to make sure that when you tried v1.5 you flashed the ROM, wiped dalvik/cache, flashed the ROM again and then wiped dalvik/cache again before rebooting. Did you double flash?

If you did and v1.5 didn't work then something got messed up. It's really rare and you should be able to always just flash the next version over the old version but things can happen. One possibility is that the download wasn't clean, so I'd delete the one you have and re-download it. Also, please always make a TWRP backup. I know it takes a while and even if 99.9% of the time everything will go fine, you never really know what's going to happen. One time I didn't make a backup and while I was in the middle of flashing a ROM I realized I accidentally popped the SD card out of the slot. Totally messed up the flash and had to start from scratch.

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
Hey toweliechaos, I'm sorry to hear all that mess is happening to you. So it sounds like your only option is to do a clean install if you went back and tried to flash v1.5 and it didn't work. However, I just want to make sure that when you tried v1.5 you flashed the ROM, wiped dalvik/cache, flashed the ROM again and then wiped dalvik/cache again before rebooting. Did you double flash?

I didn't do it this way. I have subsequently tried a double flash with the same result i.e. starting apps spinning and nothing else.

If you did and v1.5 didn't work then something got messed up. It's really rare and you should be able to always just flash the next version over the old version but things can happen. One possibility is that the download wasn't clean, so I'd delete the one you have and re-download it.

I re-downloaded with the same result too.

Also, please always make a TWRP backup. I know it takes a while and even if 99.9% of the time everything will go fine, you never really know what's going to happen. One time I didn't make a backup and while I was in the middle of flashing a ROM I realized I accidentally popped the SD card out of the slot. Totally messed up the flash and had to start from scratch.

I can still get into TWRP so what exactly does a TWRP backup get me? How much and what is it saving? Apps, app data, settings etc.?

It looks like I will have to clean install at this rate, which I am not happy about given that if I could past the lock screen, I'm convinced all the data is there and fine (I hear the Drippler 'plop' notification sound after it's been on a few minutes!) so whatever the TWRP backup can save will help.

Really annoyed. I can't for the life of me think why flashing 1.6 not only failed but caused this stasis :confused:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
So a full TWRP backup will basically make an exact image of the current state of your tablet. If you restore a full TWRP backup then you can go back to exactly what your tablet was like at the time of the backup. To create a full TWRP backup you hit the backup button, select system, data and boot. You can do cache too but you don't have to. Then choose "Using external SD" to save the backup to your external SD card.

I had an idea which might help you out but I've personally never done before. In TWRP, instead of making a full backup, try just checking the Data box and unchecking System and Boot. If your data partition is in fact still good then you might be able to restore it after you do your full clean install and then still have all your apps and app data. My guess is that only the system partition is messed up from the flash. You will probably have to use the official stock firmware package first to re-flash the device and then can flash anti-hero again on top of that. After that is installed you can try restoring that data partition backup you made in TWRP and see if it works.

I don't know why it failed for you. I've flashed tons of times but I have read that with some Hero tablets people have had trouble flashing and those people always do a double flash just in case. Maybe you have one of those tablets, so I would start double flashing everything from now on. It takes a little longer but might help you out in the long run.

toweliechaos

Mar 8, 2013
In TWRP, instead of making a full backup, try just checking the Data box and unchecking System and Boot. If your data partition is in fact still good then you might be able to restore it after you do your full clean install and then still have all your apps and app data. My guess is that only the system partition is messed up from the flash. You will probably have to use the official stock firmware package first to re-flash the device and then can flash anti-hero again on top of that. After that is installed you can try restoring that data partition backup you made in TWRP and see if it works.

Cheers for the advice. I gave this a go but without success. I flashed right back to 0128 and then double-installed 1.6 - all fine. Tried a TWRP restore of the data only, and it went straight back to 'starting apps' spinning inexorably, hard reset then drippler and email notifications going off in the background and not being able to unlock the screen. Really, really frustrating to know that behind that lock screen is all my data and apps and I can't get into it.

So, I guess I'm left with no other alternative than to fully clean and install to 1.6 and re-download all my apps and try and build back my app data :(

I've got a full TWRP backup and a data-only version in case anyone can come up with a solution to being locked out...

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Well now that you have a TWRP back-up of your your apps and data, you should be able to use an app like titanium backup or maybe ROM toolbox to extract the TWRP backup and selectively restore apps and data, as long as it is not too corrupt to do that. Something in there is causing a problem though, so obviously don't restore any system apps or data and just stick to the user apps and data. In Titanium Backup it is pretty easy to do, just go to "menu" and hit "extract from nandroid backup." Wait a while and a giant list of all the apps and data from your back-up will come up. Check the ones you want to restore and let the app do it's thing.

lowe_gule

Feb 19, 2013
Not sure if this question has been asked, I'm using 1.4 ver of anti hero rom. Is there any way I could upgrade to the latest, such as 1.5 without doing clean install. I mean is it possible to upgrade without reinstall all apps?

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Well you should read everything that just happened with toweliechaos. Summarized: For most people you just need to flash the new version and wipe dalvik/cache to upgrade. Some people seem to need to "double flash," so flash ROM, wipe dalvik/cache, flash ROM, wipe dalvik/cache, reboot. Always make a TWRP nandroid backup before you try to flash something just in case the flash goes wrong. Read the rest of this thread for more info.

lowe_gule

Feb 19, 2013
Well you should read everything that just happened with toweliechaos. Summarized: For most people you just need to flash the new version and wipe dalvik/cache to upgrade. Some people seem to need to "double flash," so flash ROM, wipe dalvik/cache, flash ROM, wipe dalvik/cache, reboot. Always make a TWRP nandroid backup before you try to flash something just in case the flash goes wrong. Read the rest of this thread for more info.
ANTI-HERO v1.6

• Added Extended Power Menu
  • CPU init.d scripts are back and working
  • Defaulted back to 3G / Ethernet / Data enabled
  • Removed 3G / Ethernet / Data enabler zip
  • Updated Additional Apps package
  • Improved some wifi issues

I tried to upgrade from 1.4 to 1.6 by doing what you've written and without using compability zip. Success!

App that installed on SD card become an android icon which mean can't be used. Restart. The apps icon become normal.
Wifi works.
Opening Play Store, kinda lag when sliding to right or leftTry downloading app from PLAY store,... downloading... invalid packaging.
Testing on Antutu... Testing failed, after benchmarking on open GL, the apps restarting it self.

==========================================================================================

FLASHing1 again, but with compability zip.
Success!

Still green android icon for Apps that installed on SD card, restart, nothing changed.
Wifi works.
Opening Play store, still kinda lag when sliding to right or left. Isn't as smooth as you felt on iPad of course.
Try downloading App (game: Fantasica) Not sure if my internet is slowing down, or the wifi feel so slow.
Installing the game: success.

Quit the game, all the apps icon become normal and usable.

All previous Apps still function normally.

Testing the wifi fuction: Keep wifi Always on during Sleep -> Always. Sleep. wake up, wifi still Turned off the moment the tablet waking up.
"Keep wifi Always on during Sleep" doesn't work.
Could you tell me how to fix this.

Set the "Keep wifi Always on during Sleep" to NEVER, set to sleep, wake up, wifi still turned ON.
I think,somehow, its setting is reversed. The bad thing is, ["Keep wifi Always on during Sleep" to NEVER] setting will work only temporary, cuz I find that my tablet wifi turned off the moment I wake my tablet after few hours.

Testing Antutu Benchmark -> Antutu score: 9231. Hmm not so good...

Battery life hasn't been tested yet.

Last edited:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
My response from the other forum you posted this comment in:

@ Lowe Gule - Are you saying that you are getting green android icons for apps installed on the external SD card or internal SD card? If you meant the external card then you would need to either re-flash whatever SD-switcher zip you used or re-link the apps with whatever app you used to move them. As for wifi, you can't set it to "always" on this or other stock based ROM's but I think you can on Christian Troy's ROMs. If you set it to "never" it should allow the tablet to go into deep sleep after whatever time period you've set for inactivity to enter sleep in your settings. You can tell if your tablet is sleeping in the battery area of the setttings, where it says "awake" the blue bar should be broken up, when it's not blue the tablet is asleep. Your wifi should turn back on after several seconds after you've woken your tablet up from sleep.